Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sound is a lot more difficult to control and capture than light. You can blacken out a room quite easily and for cheap, but you can not soundproof it easily, and/or for cheap. Post is a lot more difficult also. You can have raw from a dead cheap camera these days, but there is no raw in sound.

I am working the sound for 20 years now and I believe that 70% of it is just experience.

If you want the best equipment, that is easy, read a few posts on a production sound forum, and go buy the most expensive ones, but I do not see that you can succeed where seasoned professionals didn't; or you just hired some kid with a Zoom H recorder and a Deity or Rode NTG2 microphone that is self proclaimed a sound man?

@gt3rs I have that Insta and is way cool in daylight. There is this Ricoh 1" now, which significantly raises the bar of what such a camera can do.

When we have 8K from 2 m43 sensors, then that will change everything.

Thanks @Kisaha  

Yes the sound guys had some experience and gear but not the results. My experience is people get lazy and when someone lets me down I go and figure out how to do there job. The same goes for audio. I'm the one who's on the line to the client, I'm the editor and director and audio has to pass my test first. 

I use to think audio would be fine and you hire an audio person and get what you get. Not anymore.

We were shooting green screen with wireless lav and boom mic.  

Can you direct me to the best wav / wireless set up for outdoor set ups?  What would you use? 

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

Thanks @Kisaha  

Yes the sound guys had some experience and gear but not the results. My experience is people get lazy and when someone lets me down I go and figure out how to do there job. The same goes for audio. I'm the one who's on the line to the client, I'm the editor and director and audio has to pass my test first. 

I use to think audio would be fine and you hire an audio person and get what you get. Not anymore.

We were shooting green screen with wireless lav and boom mic.  

Can you direct me to the best wav / wireless set up for outdoor set ups?  What would you use? 

Definitely,

Lectrosonics/Zaxcom for wireless with the DPA 6060 lavalier microphones. Cheaper mics can be a Sanken or a DPA 4060.

Sound Devices/Zaxcom for a recorder/mixer.

Schoeps/DPA have the most natural sounding microphones. 

Sennheiser 50/60/70 series are somehow indestructible and top choice (50 is a hyper for indoors, 60 for outdoors and the 70 is used by some for extreme outdoor conditions, it is VERY directional, only a very experienced boom op can seriously use it).

Sanken has some very interesting and modern designs also.

Cinela offers the best protection from the elements (this is something you have to seriously budget in advance, like a very good boom pole and mic baskets e.t.c this is a significant cost).

Are you U.S based? Gotham sound are very friendly and can point you to the right direction.

In Europe there is pinknoise in UK, Audiosense in BE and NoyzBoyz (or BoyzNoyz) in the Netherlands. I have done business with all of them and I was/am super happy. All very friendly and helpful. There is a Czech shop also but do not remember the name now. Super friendly also! I wish I had millions to spend to all of them!

On 7/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, Kisaha said:

Sound Devices/Zaxcom for a recorder/mixer.

Speaking of sound, check out the new Zoom F6. The new wide dynamic range they have introduced will shake up the market. It, of course, won't be built as well as Sound Devices or Zaxcom, but Zoom are certainly innovating. Curtis Judd has a review on YouTube about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much of final camera cost is up to the hardware used and how much is spent training sales people and persuading merchants to pick up so many models that are so close in features. A6200 seems like a big mistake and they should just lower the price of A6400. Why bother with a whole new product that is just marginally worse?

This is one the hallmarks of Apple that I, as a general Apple hater, always liked - their ability to keep their product line small in clearly tiered. Canon had that when I bought my first cam 10 years ago, but now I am not so sure.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-pxw-z750-eng-camcorder-and-new-xavc-code-version-announced/

I would like this codec in the A7siii: XAVC – Long GOP (XAVC L) 4K 10Bit 4:2:2 200Mbps 

Perfect mix of quality without a super bloated bitrate that doesn't increase quality. An XEVC H265 variant would also be nice.

Also I think the F55's electronic global shutter should filter down into this supposed FS7 Successor.