I want to make my a6500 my B cam

DanielVranic

Hello everyone!

I have a Sony a6500. I do enjoy it and love it for photos. The rolling shutter sucks donkey ass, I know and that is a major contention point for me.

While I am in no dire need, my influx of video gigs has been steady and actually significantly busier than I ever expected to be, and I need an A cam. The 6500 will do well for photos and a B cam on a tripod from then on.

My needs are generally this.

1. 4k60p

2. 10-Bit, 420 or 422. If someone can show me the difference, I would very much appreciate this.

3. Autofocus, as I run almost 100% of my shots on the Ronin-S. So MF lenses would be tough.

4. Dual Card slots would be nice

5. Good Color. I use Davinci and working with the Sony is usually very nice, but sometimes I feel there just isn't enough data to push what I am trying to do.

What does everyone think? I do not really have a preference for FF, APSC or 4/3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

10-Bit, 4.2.0 is not considered Broadcast Quality.  Main reason is because of poorer Chroma Subsampling.

Yeah the Fuji X-T3 rings a lot of bells but I don't consider it as good of a Video money making tool as a GH5, GH5s is. For all around a X-T3 is pretty good as a user camera.

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/57460/chroma-subsampling

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

It would be awesome if the follow focus system on the Ronin worked with the BMPCC4k. Then this conversation I feel would be done pretty quick!

I heard their working on it. Until the camera is widely available though, I don’t think there will be any updates. 

4 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

1. 4k60p

2. 10-Bit, 420 or 422. If someone can show me the difference, I would very much appreciate this.

3. Autofocus, as I run almost 100% of my shots on the Ronin-S. So MF lenses would be tough.

5. Good Color. I use Davinci and working with the Sony is usually very nice, but sometimes I feel there just isn't enough data to push what I am trying to do.

With this mix of specs you're going to find it tough to find anything which matches all of it. 

Fujifilm X-T3, or Panasonic GH5/GH5S would be your closest bets to consider.  Maybe a Z Cam E2 as dark horse wild card, keep an eye on it. 

But perhaps also consider the BMPCC4K with a wireless follow focus instead of AF? As good wireless follow focus units used to be very very expensive but Tilta has been a price game changer lately. 

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

10-Bit, 4.2.0 is not considered Broadcast Quality.  Main reason is because of poorer Chroma Subsampling.

Which is funny because everything comes out 4:2:0 anyway. And it's not like shooting 4:4:4 and then playing it back 4:2:0 has any advantages compared to just shooting 4:2:0. It doesn't unless you do grading that really has intense colors with hard edges (and even then the output will destroy those edges anyway when it comes through the tv).

6 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Which is funny because everything comes out 4:2:0 anyway. And it's not like shooting 4:4:4 and then playing it back 4:2:0 has any advantages compared to just shooting 4:2:0. It doesn't unless you do grading that really has intense colors with hard edges (and even then the output will destroy those edges anyway when it comes through the tv).

Very true. But yes, it is about grading, doing any Green, Blue Screen , VFX stuff. When you submit any footage you are not sure what they will want from it, or do with it when you hand it over.

At some point soon all these cameras will have 10 bit 4.2.2 at a minimum because now just about anyone of them Is capable of being able to do Broadcast Output, unlike 6, 7 years ago.

10 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

I have heard that Tilta is making a follow focus for the Ronin-S. No timeframe yet. If that was a reality and sub 300$, then the BMPCC 4k would probably be a pretty good option

I would assume, that if that follow focus was added, my search could open to even more cameras?

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/08/30/tilta-nucleus-n-birtv-2018/

Outrageously stupidly cheap!

Plus of course there is the already shipping Tilta Nucleus M, which itself was groundbreaking (I've been seeing it on set a lot this year!) for how very dirt cheap it is:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367922-REG/tilta_nucleus_m_wireless_follow_focus.html

21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/08/30/tilta-nucleus-n-birtv-2018/

Outrageously stupidly cheap!

Plus of course there is the already shipping Tilta Nucleus M, which itself was groundbreaking (I've been seeing it on set a lot this year!) for how very dirt cheap it is:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367922-REG/tilta_nucleus_m_wireless_follow_focus.html

Oh that is badasss!!!

Wonder how well that would balance with a BMPCC4K and a bigger Rokinon DS lens...

On 10/15/2018 at 1:36 PM, DanielVranic said:

Hello everyone!

I have a Sony a6500. I do enjoy it and love it for photos. The rolling shutter sucks donkey ass, I know and that is a major contention point for me.

While I am in no dire need, my influx of video gigs has been steady and actually significantly busier than I ever expected to be, and I need an A cam. The 6500 will do well for photos and a B cam on a tripod from then on.

My needs are generally this.

1. 4k60p

What does everyone think? I do not really have a preference for FF, APSC or 4/3

Do you really want to own both Sony AND Fuji lenses??? Neither of them is particularly cheap, to be honest.

Also, dealing with Sony aps-c lenses AND M43 lenses might be a headache, too.

I don't own a GH5 but maybe the AF would not be up to your needs if you are trying to use it on a gimbal. otherwise, it's a heckuva camera (as far as I can tell).

@jonpais linked to a video by wolfcrow on why he wasn't going to review the eos r nor the Nikon Z7. Basicaly, he kind of said that worrying about 10-bit or 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 was less important than codec compression. (Just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth).

Anyway, if you were going to stay in sony land, then probably an a7III might be a good option for you. Doesn't have the best compression. Doesn't have 10-bit. Doesn't have 4K 60p. Doesn't have 4:2:2. It's like a camera from the Middle Ages or something. And yet, everyday people somehow make great looking videos with it. Go figure...

Personally, for ergonomic reasons, i think I am going to leave sony and either move to fuji or Nikon. Although i change my mind about 18 times a day.

9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The GH5 and the GH5S are probably your best options. The XT3 just isn't there yet; it's very, very close but it's much better for hybrid use, whereas the GH5 and GH5S are better dedicated video cameras. 

I am not against hybrid use though. Coworker in my office just got the Xt3 and I will be taking it through its paces today

13 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The XT3 fits all your needs. Though I'd probably just get two of them over an A6500. Easy to match. 

Yes! Jeez, having to switch from the complicated menu of the a6500 to the... ummm... "extensive" menu of the X-T3 would be reason alone not to try and mix an a6500 with an X-T3.