EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

Game Over nothing....

From my understanding, it’s better in some aspects to the 5D4, and worse in others...

If you don’t see it, draw up a pro and cons list of both cams and compare for yourself (whoever you are...)

So, all in all... it’s the same cam 2 years after the 5D4 announcement... kind of a disappointment if you ask me...

Lets see what kind of camera they come up with 6 months down the road - a rumour of a higher end mirror less cam is still hanging there...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

I think the most interesting thing about this first ff mirrorless from Canon is that lens 28-70mm 2.0. I love that old Tokina 28 - 70mm 2.6  with almost zero focus breathing. If this new canon lens accomplishes the same zero breathing and is optically at the standard of Canon L lenses I will probably buy an Eos R just because of that lens.           

Yeah but it will be a Portrait Lens if the crop is as bad at the 5D mk IV in video. God I hope that is not true, but I bet it is or close to it crop wise. I just don't see how it can work out. Now for Photos, sure it will be a nice lens.

You would have to buy the Canon 11-24mm f/4L to get a wide native lens for video,  And it really won't be a native one being EF. And it is kind of slow at that, not counting it is 3000 dollars to boot. Depressing LoL.

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes, but people around here act like Canon is the only company that protects their higher line of cameras. Panasonic protects their GH line. Nikon protects their D series.

Only Sony goes balls to the wall but one could easily argue that Sony cameras are an exhibition of their sensor tech, so it would make sense for Sony to that.

But...

Sony still uses that 8bit 100mbps 4K codec they’ve been using for 4 years now... where’s the outrage? Sony menus are still a mess... where’s the outrage? Sony cameras still have the potential to overheat... where’s the outrage? Sony lenses are still horribly overpriced... where’s the outrage?

Even though Sony’s AF in the a7iii is really good, it’s still at least a generation behind Canon’s last year models. With this release, Canon’s DPAF could be 2 generations ahead of their competitors in AF. And when they release QPAF, I don’t know if any other manufacturer will catch up. 

If the EOS-R gets Canon Log (which I think it will) Canon will be the only manufacturer to have a Log Profile actually designed for 8bit video.

I’m actually brand agnostic, so I am not bashing Sony or Panasonic here. I will probably buy a Panasonic by Christmas and I have had numerous Sony cameras over the years. The Nikon D5500 is one of my favorite cameras I’ve ever owned. But I’ve decided to invest in EF glass, so I will be sticking with Canon for the foreseeable future. And honestly I may never buy an EOS-R camera because I am tired of using adapters... especially big, clunky mirrorless ones.

I agree on the first part Sony also protects their higher end lines regarding video stuff like XAVC I at 600mpbs like the FS7 has will probably never trickly down into an A7s body.

Sure the 8 bit codec at 100mbps is thin but the 4K image quality is amazing, class leading dynamic range and definitely sharper and more detailed 4K than out of the 5Dmk4 and M50.. Maybe im used to the 6K and 5K oversampling from Panasonic and Sony but the M50s 4K looks like its upscaled 1080P.

Ive never had an issue with the menus on my Sony's maybe its because I spend a lot of time behind my cameras so I just get used to it? 

Sony lenses are not horribly overpriced, they are all brand new offerings to the market. Most of the equivalent Canon lenses have been on the market for over 10 years so the prices have dropped. Look at the brand new Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM ($1,600) The G master equivalent is $1,800.  The recently announced Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM is $1,300 the Sony 70-200mm f/4 is $1,300 The new 70-200 2.8 is $2100 the Sony equiv is definitely more expensive but its also corrected for Focus breathing and its par focal.

You'll be surprised when the new mirrorless lenses prices drop they will be right in line with Nikon Z and Sony E mount prices.

Going to autofocus.. 7:57 Sony seems better to me in his test.

Every brand has its pros and cons I used shoot Canon, switched to Sony and was REALLY close to getting  the GH5 when it first dropped. Just have to pick the best system for needs is all.

13 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes, but people around here act like Canon is the only company that protects their higher line of cameras. Panasonic protects their GH line. Nikon protects their D series.

Only Sony goes balls to the wall but one could easily argue that Sony cameras are an exhibition of their sensor tech, so it would make sense for Sony to that.

But...

Sony still uses that 8bit 100mbps 4K codec they’ve been using for 4 years now... where’s the outrage? Sony menus are still a mess... where’s the outrage? Sony cameras still have the potential to overheat... where’s the outrage? Sony lenses are still horribly overpriced... where’s the outrage?

Canon DPAF is just overrated,Sony 4D PDAF is actually better,because it can work in 120P mode

If Canon DPAF is really better,Why can't it work in 120P mode or taking photo up to 10fps per second as Sony does? 

Besides ,what affect the IQ most is sampling,not just code and bit rate

Panasonic 、Sony、Fuji 、even Nikon now do supersampling

Only Canon still stick to crop Pixel to Pixel  sampling video

On the Dpreview , the most soft 4K IQ is 5DIV, compare with its competitors

PC1.png.bb4f75caf5aa3696412c5631df3d8273.png

Not to mention EOS R does not have focus peaking and Zebra,how could it be a working tool? 

Wait for ML hack again?

LMAO

36 minutes ago, gelaxstudio said:

Canon DPAF is just overrated,Sony PDAF is actually not bad at all

If Canon DPAF is really better,Why can't it work in 120P mode or taking photo up to 10fps per second as Sony does? 

Not to mention EOS R does not have focus peaking and Zebra,how could it be a working tool? 

Wait for ML hack again?

LMAO

No IBIS, no peaking, no zebras, 1.75x crop?

“I’m not worried, a more pro version will come out eventually”. ?

Still, I find it hard to believe.

14 minutes ago, gelaxstudio said:

Canon DPAF is just overrated,Sony 4D PDAF is actually better,because it can work in 120P mode

Wait for ML hack again?

LMAO

PREACH!!!

4 minutes ago, gelaxstudio said:

I'd check the spec PDF,nowhere seeing it

But I saw only one 3.5 input on the extension system terminal,it could mean no headphone jack 

....:joy:

strangely enough Canon don't really advertise the peaking feature on M50 and Eye-AF isn't even listed in it's pdf specs!

the EOS R will have a headphone jack, you can clearly see it in the leaked side pic:

canon_7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Django said:

strangely enough Canon don't really advertise the peaking feature on M50 and Eye-AF isn't even listed in it's pdf specs!

the EOS R will have a headphone jack, you can clearly see it in the leaked side pic:

canon_7.jpg

The leaked side pic is more convincing ,some of the  info in that PDF  looks fake and strange

Maybe it still keep some surprises 

15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but it will be a Portrait Lens if the crop is as bad at the 5D mk IV in video. God I hope that is not true, but I bet it is or close to it crop wise. I just don't see how it can work out. Now for Photos, sure it will be a nice lens.

You would have to buy the Canon 11-24mm f/4L to get a wide native lens for video,  And it really won't be a native one being EF. And it is kind of slow at that, not counting it is 3000 dollars to boot. Depressing LoL.

I understand what you mean, but in my case no. I rarely use 4k, most of the time I shoot fullhd and then scale it up to 2k flatscope. I tend to dislike the oversharp look of 4k, and it takes a lot of space. Also most of the time I use a focal lengths between 30mm to 70mm. So for me this camera and lens it's actually great. Good color science, good ergonomics, nice menus and easy to use. Of course, it would be nice to have 10bit and clog but 8 bit 4.2.0 and cinestyle also does the job for me, and it's more changeling since you really have to nail it when you are shooting. No miracles in post with 8-bit. 

9 hours ago, Django said:

Pretty sure EOS R will have peaking as it's available in M50. Both cameras share the new Digic 8 processor.

Peaking is done in software, not hardware. Canon consumer video cameras have had it for most of the last decade. It just has not been implemented in DSLRs, probably because the are useless in a reflex camera and few people use the live view part.