Jump to content

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, Very long time lurker, first time poster.  I’ve got my z6 in hands since the beginning of the week, and thought I could share some first impressions. Bought it in kit with 24-70s + ftz +

I'm sure you guys can grade better, but I loved the footage https://vimeo.com/290295765  

Being too close to the colour standards on a chart is what got Sony into colour problems in the first place. It was a 100% science based approach when actually colour is also an art.

Posted Images

You guys aren't paying attention to the S line lenses, from what I have seen they render aberration free from edge to edge with an extreme creamy rendering without being too contrasty, until now you had to buy cine zeiss master primes for that, now you can have it for 900$. No wonder they made the flange distance so short, you can only use them on their bodies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Very interesting for behind the scene experience in video, my surprise when I saw so much drone shot and thought why did they use so much drone shot in a video about Nikon. LOL. Overall colours etc seems very good. He talks a lot about stabilization in video which he says is very very good, he also says autofocus was very good even if he did not know too much what he was doing.

 

Its an interesting video and the short he shot looks very good. His enthusiasm for the camera seems both genuine and infectious.

But what really struck me through the video was how it seems like a DSLR shooter who has just had a mirrorless epiphany. Lightweight on a small gimbal, longer drone flights, ibis is like a gimbal built into the camera, accurate focusing. I particularly liked his comment at the 38th minute....

'This was the big breakthrough for me..... all of a sudden the ability to shoot video while looking through the electronic viewfinder - game changing - completely game changing for a guy like me.,...'

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

You guys aren't paying attention to the S line lenses, from what I have seen they render aberration free from edge to edge with an extreme creamy rendering without being too contrasty, until now you had to buy cine zeiss master primes for that, now you can have it for 900$. No wonder they made the flange distance so short, you can only use them on their bodies.

Oh boy!  A nonlinear AF photography lens that is every bit as good as a $4,500.00 cinema lens. That is awesome value! I'm also glad they were clever enough to make them incompatible with any other body, so nobody else in the world can enjoy such optical goodness. Thank you, Nikon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Oh boy!  A nonlinear AF photography lens that is every bit as good as a $4,500.00 cinema lens. That is awesome value! I'm also glad they were clever enough to make them incompatible with any other body, so nobody else in the world can enjoy such optical goodness. Thank you, Nikon!

Your posts are a waste of everyone's time here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Its an interesting video and the short he shot looks very good. His enthusiasm for the camera seems both genuine and infectious.

But what really struck me through the video was how it seems like a DSLR shooter who has just had a mirrorless epiphany. Lightweight on a small gimbal, longer drone flights, ibis is like a gimbal built into the camera, accurate focusing. I particularly liked his comment at the 38th minute....

'This was the big breakthrough for me..... all of a sudden the ability to shoot video while looking through the electronic viewfinder - game changing - completely game changing for a guy like me.,...'

Looks like he has been shooting video on Nikons right back to the D800

https://vimeo.com/coreyrichproductions

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Its an interesting video and the short he shot looks very good. His enthusiasm for the camera seems both genuine and infectious.

But what really struck me through the video was how it seems like a DSLR shooter who has just had a mirrorless epiphany. Lightweight on a small gimbal, longer drone flights, ibis is like a gimbal built into the camera, accurate focusing. I particularly liked his comment at the 38th minute....

'This was the big breakthrough for me..... all of a sudden the ability to shoot video while looking through the electronic viewfinder - game changing - completely game changing for a guy like me.,...'

Context is everything right...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

You guys aren't paying attention to the S line lenses, from what I have seen they render aberration free from edge to edge with an extreme creamy rendering without being too contrasty, until now you had to buy cine zeiss master primes for that, now you can have it for 900$. No wonder they made the flange distance so short, you can only use them on their bodies.

Well they look good, but without some real tests I don't think I would go that far yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Oh boy!  A nonlinear AF photography lens that is every bit as good as a $4,500.00 cinema lens. That is awesome value! I'm also glad they were clever enough to make them incompatible with any other body, so nobody else in the world can enjoy such optical goodness. Thank you, Nikon!

In fact it is much better (technically) than most cinema lens because most of them are only APSC lens (35 mm cinema). What has happened since 2008 when 5D and Nikon D90 came with video and the 5d brought about the dslr large sensor camera revolution is mass production, mass market economies of scale entering the cinema market, which was very low volume high price niche market. They said in the video that all the Z lens are engineered from the groud up for video, thus with their stepless motor etc, are going to be silent, super smooth, no breathing etc. In fact it could be cinema lens coming to the 21st century. That is electronic lens as good if not better than manual cinema lens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nikkor said:

You guys aren't paying attention to the S line lenses, from what I have seen they render aberration free from edge to edge with an extreme creamy rendering without being too contrasty, until now you had to buy cine zeiss master primes for that, now you can have it for 900$. No wonder they made the flange distance so short, you can only use them on their bodies.

The lenses look pretty good to me so far. I don't know if I would pay $600 for an f/1.8 though... and I don't know many photographers who would, either, considering that there still seem to be some wrinkles in the (pre-production) version of the AF. Yeah, some video people would pay that and consider it a bargain, but realistically, I think Nikon is still going to rely on stills shooters to carry them through financially, with hybrid / video-oriented shooters pulling in a distant second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

In fact it is much better (technically) than most cinema lens because most of them are only APSC lens (35 mm cinema). What has happened since 2008 when 5D and Nikon D90 came with video and the 5d brought about the dslr large sensor camera revolution is mass production, mass market economies of scale entering the cinema market, which was very low volume high price niche market. They said in the video that all the Z lens are engineered from the groud up for video, thus with their stepless motor etc, are going to be silent, super smooth, no breathing etc. In fact it could be cinema lens coming to the 21st century. That is electronic lens as good if not better than manual cinema lens.

A lens is not technically better because it covers a full frame sensor. The Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/.95 would be better suited for filmmaking than these S line lenses - at least they’ve got smooth clickless aperture, smooth manual focus ring with hard stops, 270 degree focus throw, and rugged build quality for decades of worry-free use. Not to mention the Veydras... I don’t know what video you’re referring to, but if they’re claiming the S-line lenses are built with video in mind from the ground up, that is marketing BS.

Cinema lenses differ from photography lenses in more ways than just the lack of breathing: T stops for consistent exposure, large, easily read markings for aperture and distance scales (preferably engraved), uniform front diameter (for matte box) and filter threads, long focus throw, clickless aperture rings, consistent physical length and weight, geared iris and focus rings with industry standard 0.8 pitch, no protruding back or front element when zooming, easily serviceable, all-metal construction (usually), interchangeable mounts (sometimes), minimal sample variance, and on and on. Non-repeatable rack focus is a non-starter. The Rokinons (ranking #3 in digital cinema lenses at B&H) are probably the most affordable option for frame cinema cine glass, but unfortunately they aren’t available in Z mount. The S line lenses are not a replacement for mechanical cinema lenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Its an interesting video and the short he shot looks very good. His enthusiasm for the camera seems both genuine and infectious.

But what really struck me through the video was how it seems like a DSLR shooter who has just had a mirrorless epiphany. Lightweight on a small gimbal, longer drone flights, ibis is like a gimbal built into the camera, accurate focusing. I particularly liked his comment at the 38th minute....

'This was the big breakthrough for me..... all of a sudden the ability to shoot video while looking through the electronic viewfinder - game changing - completely game changing for a guy like me.,...'

That won't have been an accident!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

A lens is not technically better because it covers a full frame sensor. The Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/.95 would be better suited for filmmaking than these S line lenses - at least they’ve got smooth clickless aperture, smooth manual focus ring with hard stops, 270 degree focus throw, and rugged build quality for decades of worry-free use. Not to mention the Veydras... I don’t know what video you’re referring to, but if they’re claiming the S-line lenses are built with video in mind from the ground up, that is marketing BS.

Cinema lenses differ from photography lenses in more ways than just the lack of breathing: T stops for consistent exposure, large, easily read markings for aperture and distance scales (preferably engraved), uniform front diameter (for matte box) and filter threads, long focus throw, clickless aperture rings, consistent physical length and weight, geared iris and focus rings, no protruding back or front element when zooming, easily serviceable, all-metal construction (usually), interchangeable mounts (sometimes) and on and on. Non-repeatable rack focus is a non-starter. The S line lenses are not a replacement for mechanical cinema lenses.

I completely approve what you said about the difference between Cine and photo lens but the thing is until now no one has introduced advance electronic tech in cinema lens. A stepless motor could be immensely more precise and smooth than a human hand. If you watched the video I posted above you could see that they have added a lot of video functionality to their lens and AF settings like speed, clickless aperture etc. For example the zoom or focus ring is programmable, in one case the music video guy talked about once you override the auto focus just by using the focus ring the peaking was automatically enable in the viewfinder. That's for me a wow feature for video and something completely new. It would at least be important to watch a video before calling BS and in general FF lens are better than apsc ones because they are meant to cover a wider area and again in general, that means less distortion and loss of sharpness as the center of the lens are always the sweet spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do expect the S lenses to be very good and the 50 1.8 in particular amongst the first group.       The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 FE lens is a fantastic "normal" 1.8 lens at a very high price that most who have used it love (not all though).     The Sony does have some issues like LoCa but it still has left me not wanting any other normal lenses (and I have had a LOT including some quite nice ones).      This lens might not have LoCa issues.      I thought the Sony was good value and even at MSRP though I didn't pay anywhere near that and so that would mean this Nikon is POSSIBLY even a better deal/value.

You can not adapt the Sony to other mounts either.

Still the point remains, it is ONLY going to be Nikon F and Z lenses that can be used on these cameras and THAT is the issue for me (along with older Nikon lenses probably being of more use on the latest Sony's).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, noone said:

I do expect the S lenses to be very good and the 50 1.8 in particular amongst the first group.       The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 FE lens is a fantastic "normal" 1.8 lens at a very high price that most who have used it love (not all though).     The Sony does have some issues like LoCa but it still has left me not wanting any other normal lenses (and I have had a LOT including some quite nice ones).      This lens might not have LoCa issues.      I thought the Sony was good value and even at MSRP though I didn't pay anywhere near that and so that would mean this Nikon is POSSIBLY even a better deal/value.

You can not adapt the Sony to other mounts either.

Still the point remains, it is ONLY going to be Nikon F and Z lenses that can be used on these cameras and THAT is the issue for me (along with older Nikon lenses probably being of more use on the latest Sony's).

The Nikon Z system is the shortest flange in the industry, so you could adapt everything except perhaps the Sony ones. The difference is that it will have full functionality on a ton of Nikon and most third party fmount lens (the sigma art worked from fronos photo video). I think you will have third party adapter coming with at least screw mount motor for older nikon lens without motor. This will already get you more than 300 hundred (Just Nikon without counting other third party like Tamron, Sigma) lens.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

A lens is not technically better because it covers a full frame sensor. The Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/.95 would be better suited for filmmaking than these S line lenses - at least they’ve got smooth clickless aperture, smooth manual focus ring with hard stops, 270 degree focus throw, and rugged build quality for decades of worry-free use. Not to mention the Veydras... I don’t know what video you’re referring to, but if they’re claiming the S-line lenses are built with video in mind from the ground up, that is marketing BS.

Cinema lenses differ from photography lenses in more ways than just the lack of breathing: T stops for consistent exposure, large, easily read markings for aperture and distance scales (preferably engraved), uniform front diameter (for matte box) and filter threads, long focus throw, clickless aperture rings, consistent physical length and weight, geared iris and focus rings with industry standard 0.8 pitch, no protruding back or front element when zooming, easily serviceable, all-metal construction (usually), interchangeable mounts (sometimes), minimal sample variance, and on and on. Non-repeatable rack focus is a non-starter. The Rokinons (ranking #3 in digital cinema lenses at B&H) are probably the most affordable option for frame cinema cine glass, but unfortunately they aren’t available in Z mount. The S line lenses are not a replacement for mechanical cinema lenses.

Sorry it was another video where they talk about S lens etc

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

The Nikon Z system is the shortest flange in the industry, so you could adapt everything except perhaps the Sony ones. The difference is that it will have full functionality on a ton of Nikon and most third party fmount lens (the sigma art worked from fronos photo video). I think you will have third party adapter coming with at least screw mount motor for older nikon lens without motor. This will already get you more than 300 hundred (Just Nikon without counting other third party like Tamron, Sigma) lens.

 

 

You SHOULD be able to adapt almost anything but Nikon keeping it to themselves means it will be a lot longer (if at all) before it happens.

I DO think it will happen but not for some time and the early ones may not be great.

Sony FF E mount has been around for a few years now but the adapters for E mount started a few years before that with NEX cameras.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...