Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would venture to say Sareesh probably has a better Grasp of what video is all about more than Anyone on here, and probably the vast majority of people in the world. Is he always right, nobody is, but I will take his opinions as real truth.

And who has a camera longer than 2 weeks that reviews anything other than their own personal camera? That is 336 hours. Surely a person can figure out a most things in that amount of time. It's not like the first camera that BMD has ever made. It's not like the sensor is new either. It's pretty much a dumbed down GH5s with ProRes and their UI and color science. Not that that is a bad thing. Especially for the money.

I think I would rather have a GH5s and the new Atomos Ninja V. But that is more money obliviously. Add a Gimbal , a Speedbooster and not a lot you Can't do with it.

Well, that settles it then.  Case closed!   Sareesh is a world-class authority, by decree.

The proof that most users, including Sareesh, never figure it out is as plain as the poor grades and senseless test comparisons (in Sareesh's case) which are routinely uploaded, with apparent pride.  336 hours is nothing.  This has been going on for years.   You still have people offering up uncorrected log footage from their BMPCC, and expecting to be admired for it.

Then again, if you have no intention of either buying or using this or any other camera ("I would think"?), it won't matter much.   Pick your authorities as you prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would venture to say Sareesh probably has a better Grasp of what video is all about more than Anyone on here, and probably the vast majority of people in the world. Is he always right, nobody is, but I will take his opinions as real truth.

And who has a camera longer than 2 weeks that reviews anything other than their own personal camera? That is 336 hours. Surely a person can figure out a most things in that amount of time. It's not like the first camera that BMD has ever made. It's not like the sensor is new either. It's pretty much a dumbed down GH5s with ProRes and their UI and color science. Not that that is a bad thing. Especially for the money.

I think I would rather have a GH5s and the new Atomos Ninja V. But that is more money obliviously. Add a Gimbal , a Speedbooster and not a lot you Can't do with it.

This is cracking me up. What you write, always does. Seen your videos and you're in a league of your own buddy. Love that for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

And if a person is such an authority, they should be able to convince with facts - not make up stories about Sareesh not disclosing information about the camera he's using. 

I assume you're referring to John Brawley, who *is* a recognized authority -- he gets paid to shoot, rather than blog -- because I said nothing about Sareesh's contractual arrangements, not being privy to them, if any.

That aside, this place is too damn funny.  Here we have three guys defending the wisdom of a blogger, while they by their own implied admission know nothing about the log post-production process.  Normally, you'd expect folks to remain silent, under those circumstances.  But of course this is the internet....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, helium said:

I assume you're referring to John Brawley, who *is* a recognized authority -- he gets paid to shoot, rather than blog -- because I said nothing about Sareesh's contractual arrangements, not being privy to them, if any.

That aside, this place is too damn funny.  Here we have three guys defending the wisdom of a blogger, while they by their own implied admission know nothing about the log post-production process.  Normally, you'd expect folks to remain silent, under those circumstances.  But of course this is the internet....

Know nothing about you fellow : ) but I spent a couple of hours today speaking with a senior rep at Blackmagic HQ ; ) To succeed more hours to select post-production tools to order yet this week for handling Da Vinci Resolve 15 workflow which will pay many wages next year of 2019.

I have to email two big European distributors of them keeping my agenda for tonight.

And still organizing some training programs on my full time 4-years education (plus another one, being three of them post-production related) before to graduate myself going along a pretty old school method from a reputable film school, that is, learning to deal with high demanding standards to basically end in constructive criticism practically in a daily basis which makes everything has done my successful career (sorry for my lack of modesty here) so far ; -)

One thing I can assure you or anyone. This thread has been monitored by the brand reps. I've personally emailed Grant Petty last month to let him know on everything you can read here to follow the fairness of @Andrew Reid's position and his argument IMHO. And even today, this thread (half million of views now) was mentioned during our talk on the phone.

E : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WELL, I can confirm that my third party batteries are showing % on the BMPCC. I have Green Extreme and Watson. I am working on holiday commercials incl Black Friday PLUS coloring a documentary that's being shown at SXSW so have ZERO time to play. But if you have any questions/concerns I can answer them all in time.

 

I also bought the XLR adapter from BMD today so will do some audio tests!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, helium said:

I assume you're referring to John Brawley, who *is* a recognized authority -- he gets paid to shoot, rather than blog -- because I said nothing about Sareesh's contractual arrangements, not being privy to them, if any.

That aside, this place is too damn funny.  Here we have three guys defending the wisdom of a blogger, while they by their own implied admission know nothing about the log post-production process.  Normally, you'd expect folks to remain silent, under those circumstances.  But of course this is the internet....

John Brawley has a Job, just like a 1000 other shooters that do what he does. Sure he knows his stuff. I would hope so, it's his job. He seems like a damn nice, smart guy. Sareesh is a damn smart guy also, really smart guy. Who is right I don't know. But not everyone on here is some dumb ass like you think they are. But if it is true stay here, you will fit right in. Always room for more dumb asses. Hell you might rise to the head dumb ass. You got my vote already.

1 hour ago, Turboguard said:

WELL, I can confirm that my third party batteries are showing % on the BMPCC. I have Green Extreme and Watson. I am working on holiday commercials incl Black Friday PLUS coloring a documentary that's being shown at SXSW so have ZERO time to play. But if you have any questions/concerns I can answer them all in time.

 

I also bought the XLR adapter from BMD today so will do some audio tests!

I have heard the the XLR adapter is on a slow boat from China. I hope you don't need it tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

John Brawley has a Job, just like a 1000 other shooters that do what he does. Sure he knows his stuff. I would hope so, it's his job. He seems like a damn nice, smart guy. Sareesh is a damn smart guy also, really smart guy. Who is right I don't know. But not everyone on here is some dumb ass like you think they are. But if it is true stay here, you will fit right in. Always room for more dumb asses. Hell you might rise to the head dumb ass. You got my vote already.

I have heard the the XLR adapter is on a slow boat from China. I hope you don't need it tomorrow.

They have it in stock at B&H ran by there after work ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 4:47 AM, MattH said:

Although im pretty sure youtube has reduced the quality of their HD stream because even on a 1080 monitor when I sellect 4k the quality goes up considerably.  So for maximum quality on youtube it may be best to upload at 4k even for people with HD monitors.  Though I supose you could easily upscale your finished HD video before uploading it.

 

On 10/9/2018 at 5:03 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I am not sure how that really works. It is complicated.

I did some testing myself to work it out, and long story short is that if you watch a video in 4K (or 1080p60 I am told) then the bitrate of the stream from YT is considerably higher.

Here's the thread if you're curious:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26746-getting-good-video-quality-on-youtube/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kye said:

 

I did some testing myself to work it out, and long story short is that if you watch a video in 4K (or 1080p60 I am told) then the bitrate of the stream from YT is considerably higher.

Here's the thread if you're curious:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26746-getting-good-video-quality-on-youtube/

It's actually not surprising that the bitrate is higher as its 4 times the resolution.   But you would think that in viewing 4k on a 1080 monitor you would not make use of that extra information, that is if the 1080 bitrate was sufficient to deliver true 1080p quality.   So since there is a big difference the conclusion is that the 1080 bitrate is not sufficient.   And presumably the 4k bitrate is not sufficient to deliver true 4k quality on a large 4k monitor.       Thanks for the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattH said:

It's actually not surprising that the bitrate is higher as its 4 times the resolution.   But you would think that in viewing 4k on a 1080 monitor you would not make use of that extra information, that is if the 1080 bitrate was sufficient to deliver true 1080p quality.   So since there is a big difference the conclusion is that the 1080 bitrate is not sufficient.   And presumably the 4k bitrate is not sufficient to deliver true 4k quality on a large 4k monitor.       Thanks for the link.

No worries.

I agree that neither bitrate is sufficient for our purposes, although they seem to be sufficient for YT bottom line, which is what they were optimised for! :)

It's a pity that Vimeo doesn't provide a good alternative because their quality is much better, but Andrew recently did a poll and more than half have video pausing problems, and a third can't ever watch a video without them (me included).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kye said:

No worries.

I agree that neither bitrate is sufficient for our purposes, although they seem to be sufficient for YT bottom line, which is what they were optimised for! :)

It's a pity that Vimeo doesn't provide a good alternative because their quality is much better, but Andrew recently did a poll and more than half have video pausing problems, and a third can't ever watch a video without them (me included).

 

 

Yeah I don't have a really fast data plan, but on Vimeo I Have to set it to auto or I am waiting for it to load all the time. Now You Tube I rarely have any trouble, but yeah their quality is not as good either. But I have no clue how either site can handle all that Bandwidth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I don't have a really fast data plan, but on Vimeo I Have to set it to auto or I am waiting for it to load all the time. Now You Tube I rarely have any trouble, but yeah their quality is not as good either. But I have no clue how either site can handle all that Bandwidth.

The sad thing for me is that I have an excellent internet connection, but Vimeo still plays badly.

I get around it by using a video downloader to download Vimeo videos, watch them and then delete them.  So I can't watch a Vimeo video in 1080 (let alone 4K) but the download software can download the video in 4K at faster than real-time (eg, I can download a 4 minute video in under 4 minutes) so it's actually the player and not their servers that's the issue in my case.  Either way, YT works fine and Vimeo doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vimeo didn't use to be that way a few years ago that I remember. I am beginning to just hate paying them money for upload space anymore every month. I hardly upload at all as of late. What the heck they doing with it?

Just way too much chaos in my life as of late with my mother to concentrate on video stuff. I have opened my camera bag in 2 months. Still not positive I am going to get this C100 ever I ordered. Depressing as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’ve noticed, on Vimeo, that if you play the video before you make it full screen, it seems to play smoother and not pause. 

Hmm interesting.

3 hours ago, Turboguard said:

They have it in stock at B&H ran by there after work ;)

Ah that is good to hear. Yeah you are not going to find one of them too many places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...