Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MattH said:

It will slow the footage down by 2.4 times instead of 2 times, but I don't see how it will be less smooth.  We aren't shooting interlaced.

I don't see that either. 10sec at 50fps is 500 frames. 10 sec at 60fps is 600 frames. If the project is 25 fps, the first one will be 500/25=20 sec long, the second will be 600/25=24 sec long, and they will be equally smooth. There is no skipping if you use up all the frames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does the camera conform the sensor high fps clip in camera to the project frame rate?  If so then it probably doesn’t matter about the fps differences between project and sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I agree with most of your post, up until the last sentence. 

BMD never repeated worldwide (aside from a momentary flash here or there at some shops shortly after) half price sale of the BMPCC. It was for most intents or purposes a "one off". 

Many of us waited to see it happen for the BMPCC again, only to never get that chance again. And it took a very very long time to wait for 2ndhand prices to universally come down to the sub $500 level. 

And I waited for ages for a half price Micro Cinema Camera which sadly never came :-(
 

You can dream can't you?! I personally think they'll do another half price sale at some point & you'll have to jump quick. The Micro was a waste of time & energy - a drone cam at best & they got it totally wrong. My guess is that they stopped production & just sold back stock, so no point of a sale.

I'm happy with my OG Pocket & that comparison video just shows why - it's still can hold it's own against most things. This little camera isn't a pain to use & is stunning - they got it right & just not sure it'll happen like this for a while.

The only reason I won't jump on the 4K bandwagon is that it really isn't as widely adopted as a delivery format as people seem to make out. TBH there isn't much you can watch on a 4K TV - Amazon/Netflix own brand product & YouTube/Vimeo, but the rest is HD. It took ages for HD to take off, not only as a delivery format but also a recording one too. I'm happy to no longer invest, just rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

You can dream can't you?! I personally think they'll do another half price sale at some point & you'll have to jump quick. The Micro was a waste of time & energy - a drone cam at best & they got it totally wrong. My guess is that they stopped production & just sold back stock, so no point of a sale.

I'm happy with my OG Pocket & that comparison video just shows why - it's still can hold it's own against most things. This little camera isn't a pain to use & is stunning - they got it right & just not sure it'll happen like this for a while.

The only reason I won't jump on the 4K bandwagon is that it really isn't as widely adopted as a delivery format as people seem to make out. TBH there isn't much you can watch on a 4K TV - Amazon/Netflix own brand product & YouTube/Vimeo, but the rest is HD. It took ages for HD to take off, not only as a delivery format but also a recording one too. I'm happy to no longer invest, just rent.

I personally don't care about 4k much either, other then some potential jobs wanting it. I had considered getting an original Pocket camera, but it doesn't do 60fps. Most cameras that have the features I am looking for happen to shoot 4k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I'm happy with my OG Pocket & that comparison video just shows why - it's still can hold it's own against most things. This little camera isn't a pain to use & is stunning - they got it right & just not sure it'll happen like this for a while.

Yes, and for interest, today test battery in OG BMPCC 🙂  55min recording Prores (battery T6 POWER China) 17,- USD

IMG_1739.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but 4K down sampled to 1080p is the hot setup. That is what makes the C100 shine. I still think Really nice looking 1080p is here to stay for a really long time. Every little bit helps.  4K and 10 bit doesn't always equate to a heck of a good look output wise. It has to have Mojo like the original BMPCC or the C100. Not every camera not matter the specs looks great. Sony A7s has great 1080p. The A6300 sucks at 1080p. Some cameras are just magic, most aren't.

I am not too sure about the PK4 yet. Heck it ought to work somehow pretty well. It has the Codecs to do it, does it have the Mojo it needs? I have not seen it in spades yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mercer said:

So your lights won’t flicker?

If you set the power source in the camera settings correctly, the camera will offer flicker free shutter angle/speeds when you tap the shutter speed/angle icon from the HUD. It's okay to shoot 60/25 or 60/24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

50fps slowed to 50% is 25fps. It’s the same reason it’s not advised to put 30p footage in a 25p timeline, you’ll see skipping and generally not smooth playback. 

60fps at 50% is not notocibly slower than 50fps at 50% but 50fps at 50% will playback a hell of a lot smoother in a 25p edit. 

It’s a pal/ntsc issue. 

Also if one puts 60p on a 25p timeline the clip can only be used for slowmo. Real time will look like crap. Imo its a waste of creative options in post for a margialy slower slowmo that almost no-one would notice.

But the jerkines of 60p in real time on a 25p timeline is very noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Also if one puts 60p on a 25p timeline the clip can only be used for slowmo. Real time will look like crap. Imo its a waste of creative options in post for a margialy slower slowmo that almost no-one would notice.

But the jerkines of 60p in real time on a 25p timeline is very noticeable.

Ah yes, If you are shooting with for option of slow motion only but may play it back real time then of course you would shoot at double the project frame rate.

35 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but 4K down sampled to 1080p is the hot setup. That is what makes the C100 shine. I still think Really nice looking 1080p is here to stay for a really long time. Every little bit helps.  4K and 10 bit doesn't always equate to a heck of a good look output wise. It has to have Mojo like the original BMPCC or the C100. Not every camera not matter the specs looks great. Sony A7s has great 1080p. The A6300 sucks at 1080p. Some cameras are just magic, most aren't.

I am not too sure about the PK4 yet. Heck it ought to work somehow pretty well. It has the Codecs to do it, does it have the Mojo it needs? I have not seen it in spades yet.

Generally there is nothing wrong with propper good quality HD.  

Although im pretty sure youtube has reduced the quality of their HD stream because even on a 1080 monitor when I sellect 4k the quality goes up considerably.  So for maximum quality on youtube it may be best to upload at 4k even for people with HD monitors.  Though I supose you could easily upscale your finished HD video before uploading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MattH said:

.  Though I supose you could easily upscale your finished HD video before uploading it.

Yeah I am not sure how that really works. It is complicated. I am sure Jon knows more about it than I do. I only use Vimeo, as it seems to show better results. But exposure wise for hits, likes, Vimeo is not the place to go. Not anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I upscale my BMPCC videos to 4K with a plugin Instant 4K. It looks much better on YouTube. 

Camera: BMPCC
Lens: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 f/2.8 (Angenieux design), Metabones SB XL 0.64x
Filters: B+W UV-IR Cut, Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4
RAW, FilmConvert (Ilford Delta 400)
Light: 3*150W Dedolight DLHM4-300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow the original BMPCC is just crazy good. I am amazed every time I see someone with skill on the output. Well done. And Wow that little girl is scary good also LoL. She is really in tune with the music. Great choreography.

That plugin looks like Adobe only.. Not happening for me.  I do Resolve only as of late. Cheap ass I know, but.. LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A_Urquhart said:

For Gimbal use, this should completely negate the fact the Pocket doesn't have continuous autofocus. This is a far better solution than any autofocus and super affordable.

 

https://tilta.com/shop/nucleus-nano-wireless-lens-control-system/

i've been eyeing this since it was announced. Waiting for the release and it's reviews. Really dislike the wood finishes on Tilta products though. Is it just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grex said:

i've been eyeing this since it was announced. Waiting for the release and it's reviews. Really dislike the wood finishes on Tilta products though. Is it just me?

I'm not fussed on aesthetics as long as it gets the job done. Have used the Nucleus-M system quite a bit and despite a few initial bugs, it's been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Yep, I agree with IronFilm. It's great that the Tentacle can send TC to an audio channel for DSLR's but it's just easier having timecode where it's suppose to be and two usable channels for audio. Saves many phone calls and frustration from editors. 

The on going saga is still on going.....  now they want me to come over and do it for them. :-/ 

Seriously? And what point should I just charge them for post production services. (I didn't charge for the Tentacles btw, just threw it in as a bonus)


Why can't they just sync it up the old fashioned away by hand?? (or with PluralEyes)
Well nope, they can't even figure out how to do that! Seriously....

 

3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

You can dream can't you?! I personally think they'll do another half price sale at some point & you'll have to jump quick. The Micro was a waste of time & energy - a drone cam at best & they got it totally wrong. My guess is that they stopped production & just sold back stock, so no point of a sale.


It is always nice to dream!

Anyway, the BMMCC made some very nice refinements over the BMPCC which means if I saw a Micro for US$500 (welllllll.... prior to the BMPCC4K coming out that is) then I'd have snapped it up:

1) longer battery life
2) bigger HDMI port
3) 60fps slow motion
4) timecode

And more!

Any one of those could be a big reason for a person to prefer the Micro over the Pocket, and together, they make for a very compelling case!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

I'm not fussed on aesthetics as long as it gets the job done. Have used the Nucleus-M system quite a bit and despite a few initial bugs, it's been great.

I have the Tilta cage for my OG BMPCC and I love it! I was looking at the ronin S for a while but I use manual glass so this combination might be for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...