Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

It's the same tech that's in their Ursa Mini SSD recorder, only difference is it's a USB connection instead of SDI.  Provided you do nothing to damage the cable or port, I see no reason it would be unreliable.  Using it handheld is maybe more of an issue, but sitting on a tripod recording a 2 hour event is probably less of an issue.

It does seem to be a flimsy connection, so if it's clamped down and you don't move the camera you should be okay. Blackmagic always shows ridiculous scenarios for their products as more to show off the features rather than practical usage.

Like this is totally not how narrative episodic television is shot. Huge cables dangling everywhere

episodic-md.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

And I guess you're right.  If you're sitting on a tripod or a gear head, maybe cables everywhere is less of an issue.

I am betting Blackmagic either comes out with some more audio gear, or some sort of wireless video given the price can be made more affordable and there is a huge need for market disruption.

37 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

I was just about to say "it is not plugged in" but I took a second look, that might be a power cord? The black one. 

But meh, whatever, it is still very common to use an external power source *and* use a V lock battery at the same time. (the V lock means while you're moving around and setting up the next shot you will not have to power down the camera)

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

Do you own Cfast 1.0 cards?  I'm curious where you can even buy them or what cameras supported them.

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

If someone doesn't have $50 they should stay far away from the Cfast 2.0 game.

3 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

Gulp!    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317914-REG/sandisk_sdcfsp_256g_a46d_extremepro_cfast_256gb_525r.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZf_rtSw3AIV3rjACh1wyAH3EAQYAiABEgJbivD_BwE&smp=y

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Wow, so much judgement. I have C.Fast 2.0 cards ready to be delivered, but since I already own C.Fast 1.0 cards and a reader, I was wondering how useful these are going to be, or if I should add a new reader to the order. Chill.

2 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

Do you own Cfast 1.0 cards? 

I do indeed, I have, and regularly still use the Atomos Ninja Star, with 128gb card and a reader.

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

At worst I'll plug the camera into my computer 5 times between ordering and receiving the C.Fast 2.0 reader, should I need one... I can deal with that. 

I use the Transcend CFast cards in my XC10 and they work fine, but at 305Mbit I'm not exactly pushing their performance limits!  When I first researched them I read lots of reviews about the cheaper cards and these were the cheapest cards that people said were reliable in the higher bitrate cameras.

If I didn't already have any CFast cards then I'd use USB for the Pocket 2 for as long as possible, and only then buy CFast.  

CFast is something like 8x more expensive per GB than SSD!  The Transcend are currently $2 per GB (128Gb $250 at B&H) but the Samsung T5 is 25c per GB.  

There are probably cheaper reliable CFast now available, but the T5 is also probably not the most economical device either, and even if it's only 5X or 3X difference, that's still a huge cost considering the amount of storage required for the high-bitrate codecs.

If you have been wondering, the komputerbay seem to be the cheapest.

https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-Professional-256GB-CFast-560MB/dp/B01NBAVA26

Only $220 for 256gb and a lot of people have good results.  The new BM camera will sell so many units that CFast 2.0 prices might drop even more.

That current price is the cheapest I've ever seen the Komputerbay cards, so maybe it's a good time to buy.  They're normally $250-300

10 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Anyone tried transcend CFX650 or CFX600 CFast Cards? They seem quite reasonably priced.

Those cards are priced kinda high compared to angelbird, komputerbay, etc.

BIWIN was another brand competitively priced similar to that of Komputerbay, but they seem to be harder to come by these days.

9 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

At worst I'll plug the camera into my computer 5 times between ordering and receiving the C.Fast 2.0 reader, should I need one... I can deal with that. 

Cool.  Just didn't want people to have the wonderful experience they had with the BMPCC and the microHDMI port.

The little handheld demonstration they did with the BMPCC 4k USB C port is definitely going to result in some broken hearts down the road.

14 minutes ago, kye said:

There are probably cheaper reliable CFast now available, but the T5 is also probably not the most economical device either, and even if it's only 5X or 3X difference, that's still a huge cost considering the amount of storage required for the high-bitrate codecs.

The problem is there are significant speed differences with other brands and models.  Only time will tell how low you can go.

12 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

If you have been wondering, the komputerbay seem to be the cheapest.

https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-Professional-256GB-CFast-560MB/dp/B01NBAVA26

Are you aware of Komputerbay's business model?  I haven't kept up with them for the last couple of years.  I am looking right at a Komputerbay Compactflash card I bought for my 50D raw magic lantern shoots years ago.  Back then they would buy factory rejects or something like that from people like Lexar and sell them at cut rate prices.  The problem was sometimes people had to return the cards because they did not perform as advertised.  Komputerbay seemed to be good about replacing the cards.  There are a number of stories of buying and returning on the internet.

I don't know how they do things these days.  Just thought I would add my 2 cents.