Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

#1. Resolve LIte is free and is plenty for me.

No noise reduction and can't use as high a resolution as full resolve... to just name two issues.  There is a full list on the Blackmagic site.  I am happy Lite works for you but I had my eye on full Resolve for some time now.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

#2. I'm not seeing any trolls here. Care to name them?

No.  Not really.  I meant I would be interested in hearing people's genuine reasons for using other cameras not just internet fight nonsense.  The BMPCC 4k seems like such a no brainer I wonder what I am missing.  This is the camera everyone has been asking for six years.  If lack of full time autofocus and lack of IBIS are the main complaints then I'm all in.

Of course we have to see footage and in depth hands on reviews.  But if their claims are true I really don't see any competition for this camera.  A C200 can do things this camera can't.  A GH5 can do things this camera can't.  But those things cost way more.

2 minutes ago, Garug said:

I think this is a perfect camera to replace my old and well served GH4 and it will also get a perfectly tailored gimbal. The only thing where GH4 maybe is better is the weather shielding, that has been handy for few times.

IMG_6679.jpg

Do NOT do that with a Blackmagic Pocket.  The build quality on this new camera looks a lot better but I think you will have many tears if you use it in a situation like that.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

#2. I'm not seeing any trolls here. Care to name them?

Yes. I'd beg everybody not to a priori think about someone's critical observations as fan's comments. In fact, I personally think it is most helpful attitude - what is good we likely could see in PR presentation, but for what is not so good we need help.

I'd be personally feeling stupid and even unworthy to repeat how new Pocket looks innovative and even redefining. But it is also true, I think, that reliability is the most important trait in the field. I feel some sort of silly owe to BM - but it doesn't prevent me to point at its less or more unreliable character in comparison with, especially, Panasonic solidness.

@Damphousse If I were a wedding photographer, I might choose the a7 III. If I were a vlogger, maybe the a6500 or any one of the Panasonics. If I were a tourist, maybe the Sony RX100 or whatever. If I were wealthy, maybe a Kinefinity. A sports photographer, maybe Nikon. Or maybe I prefer the full frame look of ML RAW. Why do people have to defend their choices? To say this camera is the be-all and do-all is silly. It only turns the forums into an echo chamber.

I think we should think about the fact it’s supposed to be possible to load up custom LUTs on the camera, not only for monitoring but you’ll be able to bake them in. This is potentially huge for fast turnover shooting and something we’ve seen is detrimental to the image quality, which James Miller has shown with the GH5. 

7 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I think we should think about the fact it’s supposed to be possible to load up custom LUTs on the camera, not only for monitoring but you’ll be able to bake them in. This is potentially huge for fast turnover shooting and something we’ve seen is detrimental to the image quality, which James Miller has shown with the GH5. 

Thing is, I'm not seeing any visible damage to the quality of my clips, and nobody's ever said, 'Jon, why don't you bake in the LUT? It looks terrible!'

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If Veydras drop to $500 and the GH5 to $1,000, I'm all in. But I resent people calling me a troll when I have practically nothing but good things to say about the Pocket, and only get edgy when people feel it necessary to trash my own camera, many of whom have never even shot with it. Is it sacrilege to suggest that if someone needs autofocus, they should look elsewhere? Or if they want to vlog? Or shoot underwater without a special housing? Of course not! And why pick on Panasonic? Why not look at how the Pocket will affect Sony, Canon and Fuji instead? Where does this hostility come from? It's completely unnecessary to trash one company to boost another. We get it already.

Even more: I'd rather beg everybody to argumentatively point mostly at comparative weaknesses - as also, but lesser, to advantages - or potential usage (non)applicability between brands.

I used, learned and enjoyed many of BM cameras to the point of sentiment of debtor - but I also had to live first with, for example, black contre-sun dots on monitor, cruel magenta shifting, breaking of unsolid inputs, humiliating lack of vital-anounce-point of GS etc. My advice would be - if advice has any sense at all - not to hurry with preorder... according to history of BM rushness, it easy could turn out that at the moment of full reliability of Pocket 4k there'll be similar or even more (personally of course) interesting option.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@anonim Words of wisdom! But I'm in a rush to capture the true essence of what it means to live in Vietnam in unvarnished RAW.

I'm not at all worry about you - so surrounded with pictorial liveliness, with really (it seems to me) impressive percentage of beauties on the street and with Huang (?) as motivated and willingness actress. You really have all luxury behind you to shot with tiny garbage plastic codec of another, non-cinematic sub-league...

8 minutes ago, anonim said:

I'm not at all worry about you - so surrounded with pictorial liveliness, with really (it seems to me) impressive percentage of beauties on the street and with Huang (?) as motivated and willingness actress. You really have all luxury behind you to shot with tiny garbage plastic codec of another, non-cinematic sub-league...

😂😂😂

Just another bored, drug-using retiree furtively shooting Vietnamese women in grocery stores with clickless aperture and posting clickbait. :) 

Oh yes, I forget about drugs (strangely because of frequency of imposingly suggestive mentioning) ... Although, I dare to say that even every shooting-retiree somewhere deep inside of mind dreams about bearing Tarkovsky in himself - which, actually, easy might be true in gems and in meanings of devotion, love-for-beauty and spirit of independency.

1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

Do NOT do that with a Blackmagic Pocket.  The build quality on this new camera looks a lot better but I think you will have many tears if you use it in a situation like that.

Stated operating temperatures: 0-40 degrees Celcius. Just so you know...

5 minutes ago, KurtAugust said:

Stated operating temperatures: 0-40 degrees Celcius. Just so you know...

They always do that, but the Micro cameras at least have been working also well on cold. Kind of a reguirement here in Finland :)

7 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

Stupid question but i can't contain it anymore : there is any footage of the pocket 4k released yet? we are so shocked by the on paper features and i can't wait to see something shot with it. Even a test will do :)

You might want to ask @John Brawley .

2 hours ago, cantsin said:

Blackmagic has clearly stated at NAB that the 1080p mode is windowed.

Upto 100fps HD is non-windowed. Also, he (the guy in the video below) hints at a few other things being added by way of firmware. Which effectively means that we should wait until all the features are stated. 

This also shoots HLG (I read or heard somewhere), for anyone interested in lower dynamic range with lower bitrates.

Btw, why do I feel that this is a 4096 x 2160 sensor (and Not 10+megapixel sensor). That's like 8.8MP compared to 10.something mega pixels on the GH5s.

I hope someone makes a large battery accessory for this that is like a battery pack at the bottom (like on DSLRs), and which powers it via USB-C or the locking socket to add another 2-3 hours of juice. And also adds a flat SSD like on the new Atomos recorder.