Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

There is a guy named LukeDriftwood that claims:

"I've just confirmed with an industry source that, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K uses the same sensor as GH5S, the IMX294CJK sensor supplied by Sony Semiconductor." 

I don't know him or if what he claims is true, but I find it very likely. 

Interesting. Absolutely no idea if it is true of either the GH5s or BMPCC but here is the pdf flyer of the sensor.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/img/product/cmos/IMX294CJK_Flyer.pdf

Couple of points.

1) It is a standard 4:3 sensor with a 21.63mm diagonal - so if it is in the GH5s it isnt using an 'oversized' sensor as many people had indicated.

2) The sensor is capable of 4k/120 although only in 10 bit (as opposed to 12) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dear erstwhile member can you please stop attacking John Brawley now. I have long since given up on camera forum arguments so might not be completely up on who is right and who is wrong-evil /

I like the pictures. A lot.  This camera will probably replace the micro cinema camera for me as it’s not much bigger and is much easier to work with.  I didn’t feel as strongly about the 4K

What a shame. Who are these "deep state" BMD insiders that are here pushing an agenda ? Myself and Hook.  Who else ?  What do you guys think, there's a plot and conspiracy ?  You guys don't wat t

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

After letting this bombshell of a release settle for almost a day now, I must say I am still pretty damn excited. What is offered at this price point seems unfathomable. I honestly don’t know how they will be making a profit off of this camera... but that isn’t my problem.

Now I’ve been thinking about some of the obvious features and have made a few assumptions based on previous BM cameras...

Dual ISO at 800 and 3200... this is huge but most likely, due to noise and DR, they will be the only two ISOs you would shoot at. I personally think it’s awesome to get that extra lowlight ISO but other people who haven’t shot with a BM camera may want to be aware of the practical ISOs on BM cameras if the 25,000 number is a huge selling point to them.

IR Cut Filter??? There have been some claims that this may be the same sensor that’s inside the GH5s? If so, does that mean we won’t need an IR Cut filter?

Waveform, False Color, Baked in LUTs... this is great... really awesome. I will probably be using this as a ProRes only camera, so Zebras set at 90 have been the go to setting for quick exposure on BM cameras... but if there is a quick solution to turn on False Color, then this becomes an invaluable tool at this price point. And finally the ability to not only load viewing LUTs but being able to bake them in is pretty awesome for quick turnaround... of course how this will affect the dynamic range of your shots should be considered before you start throwing LUTS at your footage before you hit record.... that’s where the waveform monitor will come in handy.

So just these features alone are pretty amazing.

There’s been a lot of talk about how this camera will affect the marketplace and in all honesty it shouldn’t. This looks like a shiny new toy but this IS A CINEMA camera. If you are an event videographer or a real estate videographer or a wedding videographer, there are better options out there and you will probably be let down. BM makes amazing cameras but the images need to be caressed during production and after. So your GH5 or C100 or FF Sony is not obsolete.

I think your use of italics is a little misleading here? But you’re right the GH5 is awesome and you are getting nice work with it so there really isn’t a need for you to go out and buy the Pocket II. I think you will be highly disappointed with it. 

The italics are because I don’t know how to quote from another website. Got no idea what you are referring to by accusing me of deceiving anyone.

The Pocket does not have a waveform monitor.

And regardless of your condescending and frankly hostile attitude, I will probably be picking up the Pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Interesting. Absolutely no idea if it is true of either the GH5s or BMPCC but here is the pdf flyer of the sensor.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/img/product/cmos/IMX294CJK_Flyer.pdf

Couple of points.

1) It is a standard 4:3 sensor with a 21.63mm diagonal - so if it is in the GH5s it isnt using an 'oversized' sensor as many people had indicated.

2) The sensor is capable of 4k/120 although only in 10 bit (as opposed to 12) 

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26353-kinefinity-terra-4k-has-landed/?do=findComment&comment=232457

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
24 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Interesting. Absolutely no idea if it is true of either the GH5s or BMPCC but here is the pdf flyer of the sensor.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/img/product/cmos/IMX294CJK_Flyer.pdf

Couple of points.

1) It is a standard 4:3 sensor with a 21.63mm diagonal - so if it is in the GH5s it isnt using an 'oversized' sensor as many people had indicated.

2) The sensor is capable of 4k/120 although only in 10 bit (as opposed to 12) 

By "standard 4:3" that means it's  21.63 diagonal in all aspect ratios... Multi-aspect sensor.

Supports 17:9 aspect for 4096 x 2160 DCI 4K.

To do 21.63 diagonal in both 17:9 and 4:3, you need the extra width (19.3mm)

Yep, I think this is the same sensor used in GH5S and Pocket 4K.

Yes 4K 120fps capable... See the E2 cam...But that needs external recorder, no? I think the internal processing power required for that is currently out of bounds of small affordable cameras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members

I do hope Blackmagic have already bought up a boatload of the sensors.

I can just see Panasonic getting on the phone to Sony this morning and saying "You know that IMX294CJK sensor that we buy off you for our GH5 cameras? How many have you got?....Right, we're on our way there now....We'll take the lot" ;)

 

freight-semi-truck-panasonic-corporation-logo-driving-along-forest-road-editorial-d-rendering-90436177.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The italics are because I don’t know how to quote from another website. Got no idea what you are referring to by accusing me of deceiving anyone.

The Pocket does not have a waveform monitor.

And regardless of your condescending and frankly hostile attitude, I will probably be picking up the Pocket.

“Hostile attitude” hahahahahahahahahahaha... you are losing it Jon. There was nothing condescending or hostile about my comment... you seem to be littering this thread with spiteful comments about the GH5 and people’s opinion of it, but in a lot of ways you’re right... the GH5 is great and capable of many things, so for most people’s needs, it is the better camera... what is so hostile or condescending about that?

According to BH, the camera has a waveform monitor and false color.

As far as the italics, the last part of the italicized portion of your statement reads as if it’s your opinion and not a quote from that person since he would have to start referring to himself in his quote? If I am wrong, then I apologize.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

“Hostile attitude” hahahahahahahahahahaha... you are losing it Jon. There was nothing condescending or hostile about my comment... you seem to be littering this thread with spiteful comments about the GH5 and people’s opinion of it, but in a lot of ways you’re right... the GH5 is great and capable of many things, so for most people’s needs, it is the better camera... what is so hostile or condescending about that?

According to BH, the camera has a waveform monitor and false color.

As far as the italics, the last part of the italicized portion of your statement reads as if it’s your opinion and not a quote from that person since he would have to start referring to himself in his quote? If I am wrong, then I apologize.

Gaslighting again and twisting my words around.

I never made any spiteful comments about the GH5, what are you talking about, man?

Not once in this forum have I ever said one camera was better than any other.

The phrasing and italics clearly indicate those were not my own words.

And if I want camera advice from you, I'll ask for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

“Hostile attitude” hahahahahahahahahahaha... you are losing it Jon. There was nothing condescending or hostile about my comment... you seem to be littering this thread with spiteful comments about the GH5 and people’s opinion of it, but in a lot of ways you’re right... the GH5 is great and capable of many things, so for most people’s needs, it is the better camera... what is so hostile or condescending about that?

I agree with you mercer, sorry Jon. Been skipping your comments cause all you keep talking about is that damn GH5. Little Pana-fanboy on the line? Can we stick to the subject OF Pocket4K here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I agree with you mercer, sorry Jon. Been skipping your comments cause all you keep talking about is that damn GH5. Little Pana-fanboy on the line? Can we stick to the subject OF Pocket4K here?

Let's stick to the Pocket and stop trashing the Panasonic at every opportunity. Deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, forofilms said:

If you can't charge from an external source while simultaneously recording to an external drive then it kind of defeats the purpose of having the feature to be able to long-record via usb-c. 

Get a DC to USBC? Use the USBC for HDD and DC to charge from powerbank?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Gaslighting again and twisting my words around.

I never made any spiteful comments about the GH5, what are you talking about, man?

Not once in this forum have I ever said one camera was better than any other.

The phrasing and italics clearly indicate those were not my own words.

And if I want camera advice from you, I'll ask for it.

Oh God, here we go... you have been making spiteful comments about other people’s comments on the GH5... 

Sorry I was wrong about the italics... I reread it and realized you were quoting someone who was quoting someone... my bad.

And finally... Jesus Christ Jon... which is it... you love the GH5 and need no other camera because it’s better than the Pocket II or do you want the Pocket II? Seriously, these oddball conversations you are having are becoming nonsensical.

The funny thing is that I can completely skip your portion of the conversation... which is a lot and still follow the general thread. 

And honestly I really don’t care if you take my camera advice. But for someone that goes to such lengths to defend the GH5, then why bother spending more money on another camera... it’s not like getting a Pocket II is going to change your videos that much. You are putting quality work out with the GH5 and from my experience, BM cameras are different beasts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, forofilms said:

If you can't charge from an external source while simultaneously recording to an external drive then it kind of defeats the purpose of having the feature to be able to long-record via usb-c. 

It still has an external power input though?

I presume you could use a usb-c hub as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BTM_Pix said:

It still has an external power input though?

I presume you could use a usb-c hub as well?

Yes, I suppose you could power it through DC but that would kill the run-and-gun capability. 

I wonder about the hub idea...would be surprised if you could power and record simultaneously through the same port. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Yes, I suppose you could power it through DC but that would kill the run-and-gun capability. 

I wonder about the hub idea...would be surprised if you could power and record simultaneously through the same port. 

Maybe the 2TB DJI Copilot can record and charge the camera at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Yes, I suppose you could power it through DC but that would kill the run-and-gun capability. 

I wonder about the hub idea...would be surprised if you could power and record simultaneously through the same port. 

You can always use a Vmount or other battery solution through the DC...it's about as run-and-gun as it can get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...