New Panasonic G9 - multiaspect sensor?

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

It still have 4K60p (non on Sony except FS7), 1080P180 unlimited slowmo that no other camera beside GH5 have, but yeah for video people like us it doesn't have as good value as GH5

But for photog who does occasional video job it does make more sense for them.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

I was hoping it would be a video camera, a G80 upgrade/baby GH5 with the video features for HDR 4K. Is it necessary to have the 10 bit HLG 400 bitrate features the GH5 has to count as HDR 4K video?

If so, will have to get a big GH5. If not, the G80 is very reasonably priced in the UK at the moment (£529). With my damaged and customized G7 it would probably cost less than £400, or £300 or less for one in good condition.

If you select Rec Quality MP4 HEVC ("TV or recorder that supports hybrid log gamma is required") on the GH5, then the available options become 4K 72M 30p and 4K 72M 24p. 

This is different from selecting Hybrid Log Gamma as a photostyle and using the 400M all-i codec, but it still counts as "4K HDR recording"

I like that panasonic is making an agressive push, BUT I wish that there wasnt this BS that AF perf is worse depending on which manufacturers lenses you use.

I have to keep an em1 on hand if I need to shoot sport, because although the gh5,. this, the g85 all have great af supposedly, ill never be able to tell because its not quick with the oly tele 2.8.

This camera will suceed if the AF perf is as good as they claim. I have my doubts, but I cant wait to be proven wrong

17 hours ago, leeys said:

I'm very sure it's to cater to legacy users who're used to looking at a top plate of manual film SLR; as cameras became more and more electronic the top plate is really an awkward place to have a status LCD; I realised this when I used a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7 (that was a really nice camera). 

When you're shooting events or something like wildlife, sometimes its nice to be able to check camera settings with a quick glance without having to move the camera - and the top LCD is easier to read in bright light. Its one feature I'd like to see on more mirrorless cameras. You can just glance down and make adjustments before moving the camera. Like a touchscreen its not everyone's cup of tea, but you don't have to use it. 

IMO this is a good move by Panny for the most part, they need to broaden their lineup by hitting more niche's than 4k video. Olympus pretty much had the more photo centric market cornered with the EM1. Check forums like Fred Miranda - most m43 birders are using Olympus. I still don't like an all CDAF system though, if you need speed and subject tracking the hybrid phase/contrast AF systems have consistently outperformed contrast only. IMO that's the big shortcoming of this camera - Olympus will still have superior AF, and for its intended purpose that makes it a better buy.

Panasonic really needs to implement a hybrid focus system, they're falling behind fast - every new camera from the competition comes with advancements in hybrid focusing and Canon has really nailed it with DPAF. With CaNikon expected to finally have serious cameras in the mirrorless space this year, the pressure on the smaller companies like Panny/Olympus/Fuji will increase.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:20 AM, jonpais said:

I predict this camera will be a complete and utter flop.

As someone who just last week bought a used E-M1mark2 (yes, I knew this was coming and went for it anyway), I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse now.

I don't understand the comments claiming that this thing will flop- Its cheaper than a new E-M1mark2, it has pretty much the same feature set as that camera (minus Pro Capture I guess), better ergonomics, and better video specs (4k/60p at least). I'm guessing the phase detection of the Olympus will still win out in the AF department, but supposedly its a smaller gap now.

I owned a G85 as well, but I don't see the comparison between the two, the speed of this thing dwarf's the cheaper model. Better video, way better stills capability as far as speed, and a much better sensor. 

I think Panasonic is making a step in the right direction, though I generally agree with @jonpais prediction.  Right now, Panasonic's line-up is a bit strange in that I often read/hear, "The GH5 is an awesome camera, but I is use the G7 for a lot of stuff"  The G7 is such a great value it competes with the GH5.  Anyway, like Andrew, I was really impressed with the LX100, especially the 4K photo mode.  I'm also impressed with Panasonic's camera control apps.  They do it the best IMHO.  Anyway, the success of the G9 is possible for this reason:

In good light (or with a flash), the g9 could become a workhorse for the photo/video media professional.  The Sony cameras are still too battery hungry (which we can see they agree with the new A9, or whatever it is, I can't keep track anymore).  Anyway, I find the Olympus and Fuji cameras a bit too cute for my taste.  A photo camera (weather sealed, top LCD), etc., that takes rapid fire photos and nice 4K video.  Not as stupid as it looks :)

17 minutes ago, liork said:

How come the G9 has better ergonomics than E M1 II?

Well, while maybe not a huge addition, it has the top screen, like many DSLR's, which is nice, especially for a camera that costs less. It also has the bigger and better EVF.

Can't really think of any ergonomic advantages the E-m1 II has.  

Just now, Brian Williams said:

Well, while maybe not a huge addition, but it has the top screen, like many DSLR's, which is nice, especially for a camera that costs less. It also has the bigger and better EVF.

Can't really think of any ergonomic advantages the E-m1 II has.  

Lets not forget the power switch. I have no idea why Olympus thinks using both hands to turn on a camera is a good feature. 

Also the joystick & larger size will be appreciated by sports/wildlife photographers. 

15 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Right now, Panasonic's line-up is a bit strange in that I often read/hear, "The GH5 is an awesome camera, but I is use the G7 for a lot of stuff"  The G7 is such a great value it competes with the GH5.  

In good light (or with a flash), the g9 could become a workhorse for the photo/video media professional.  The Sony cameras are still too battery hungry (which we can see they agree with the new A9, or whatever it is, I can't keep track anymore).  Anyway, I find the Olympus and Fuji cameras a bit too cute for my taste.  A photo camera (weather sealed, top LCD), etc., that takes rapid fire photos and nice 4K video.  Not as stupid as it looks :)

I don't see how the G7 realistically "competes" with the GH5 in any way, really. Maybe you could make the argument that its sequel, the G80, does in a few ways, but the G7? I'm not knocking the camera, I know it was a good deal when it first came out (and probably still is), but its a generation-old camera at this point, doesn't offer any of the bit-rate or other video-specific features of the GH5,  and (most importantly to me) doesn't offer any stabilization that either the GH5 or its equally-priced sequel, the G80, offers. Just seems a bit arbitrary to mention that camera, of all cameras.

And how are Olympus cameras too "cute" for you?? I think my E-M1ii is pretty ugly, honestly. My X-T2 was gorgeous on the other hand.

Both are weather-sealed, take rapid fire photos and have equally nice 4k. 

• Super Members

I know more people that would choose the G9 than the GH5. 
If asked I would most likely recommend going with the G9.

The GH3 was my first mirrorless camera. I liked it. It was in fact the first camera I reviewed.
Since then Ive owned a couple of other m4/3 cameras. All decent. The GH4 was a bit bla bla for me. So is the GH5 for my needs. Would never buy one.
The G9 on the other hand is one camera I would consider for some things. But Im currently very happy after making the switch from mirrorless. So it will have to wait until it have done what all Panasonics does around here.. plummet in price like house of cards in a hurricane. 

5 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Both are weather-sealed, take rapid fire photos and have equally nice 4k. 

When I mean "cute" I mean they try to give the photographer a rich photo-taking experience through many dials and features.  I favor raw sensor-size and sensitivity.  Just my personal taste!  My limited experience is the Olympus and Fuji 4K is nowhere close to the quality of the Panasonic cameras, like the G7.  So surprised you think their quality as good.  

Anyway, the achilles heal of the Sony cameras is the big sensors, and the way they're designed, makes video a bit kludgy--still.  My A6300  gets hot, especially in 4K.  As everyone knows, those Pannys will run forever and not get hot headed ;)   However, I use the Sonys because they have bigger sensors for better photography.  I won't use an Olympus because the video still stinks.  And even though the Fujis have larger sensors, they still have, again in my opinion, sub-par video.

I have not noticed a difference in photos between the Panasonic and Olympus cameras (just video).  So if Panasonic can leverage some of it's high frame rate shooting, like photo 4K, and now 20 frames per second, knowing it will do so without getting hot, gets my interest.  

I still miss my GM1.  I broke the mechanical shutter, then my daughter broke the screen.  Anyway, I just love the all around thinking of the Panny cameras.  BTW, I bought my daughter a Fuji X100.  She never used it.  She took my G6 and basically sleeps with it, even though I have a lot of better cameras in m opinion ;)

I understand your interest in advanced CODECs, etc., but my interests are basic.  All Panny 4K looks great to me!  Doing 20 frames a second, having an LCD display, etc.  It's stuff that makes them closer to Nikon/Canon and which I appreciate.  

All this is predicated on my belief that Panny video is miles ahead of Olympus of course.  So curious what other's thoughts are.

18 minutes ago, Superka said:

Panasonic cannot compare to Sony, because of Panasonics poor autofocus.

I know, thats why I bought and film with three Panas (G6,7,GX85) and never compare them to Sony :) I am still exited doing footage with them with my manual focus lenses.

What lenses do you shoot your stuff with? What camera do you shoot with most of the time?