New Panasonic G9 - multiaspect sensor?

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

1 hour ago, leeys said:

Not at US$3k though, that is an insane price for a 200/2.8.

I am not that sure. I don't find the background rendering with 40-150mm f/2.8 that great and if you compare with FF 400mm f/2.8 or even f/4 there is a big difference in both size and price. 

Expensive for sure, but there is definitely a market. 

Plus the 1.4x Teleconverter (DMW-TC14) is bundled with the lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, leeys said:

I'd buy a GH5 regardless. I haven't seen much that suggests this will be so much better than the GH5 I'd rather pay the extra US$200 and get the GH5's extra video features. Of course if reviews suggest so I might be more inclined to it.

Not at US$3k though, that is an insane price for a 200/2.8.

And that’s what doesn’t make sense about the G9... why in the world do they want to compete against their own camera... they’ve priced it so now they’re not only competing against the E-M1 Mark II but also the GH5? Huh?

Just now, Eric Calabros said:

everything you can read from top LCD, you can see through view finder, or rear LCD. its just make it "look pro", and thats it. 

I don't like looking through the EVF, or turning the LCD on every time I want to change or check a setting. Top LCD is fast, easy and doesn't consume a ton of power. 

• Administrators

They definitely aren't competing with the GH5.

This one has a clearly different customer. Pro and enthusiast photographers, not pro video shooters and filmmakers.

What GH5 owner is going to dump a ton of nice video features and better codec for a top LCD panel and bigger EVF?

Even if you feel the G9 is more for you than the GH5, chances are Panasonic won't mind, as long as you buy a Panasonic not a Sony.

2 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I take it that's only in Dual I.S. 2 with selected lenses that are already stabilized.

No from the product spec:

"The Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer) in the LUMIX G9 is dramatically improved, making it possible to use 6.5 stops of compensation with or without Dual I.S.2.0 compatible Lumix lenses. This is achieved by a more accurate calculation of shake in various shooting conditions, utilizing information of angular velocity and motion vector acquired not only from the gyro sensor but also from the image sensor and accelerometer sensor."

According to Hugh Brownstone, it’s 6.5 stops with or without Dual IS2 compatible lenses. The difference is that the 6.5 stops of IS using Dual IS2 lenses will not dissipate as you move into telephoto range (up to 280mm FF equivalent field of view).

(almost word for word from comments section).

45 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I don't like looking through the EVF, or turning the LCD on every time I want to change or check a setting. Top LCD is fast, easy and doesn't consume a ton of power.

you change/check setting while you are not looking through VF or LCD? why? I use both pro and entry level DSLRs and when I use the later, I never miss the top LCD. 

I was hoping it would be a video camera, a G80 upgrade/baby GH5 with the video features for HDR 4K. Is it necessary to have the 10 bit HLG 400 bitrate features the GH5 has to count as HDR 4K video?

If so, will have to get a big GH5. If not, the G80 is very reasonably priced in the UK at the moment (£529). With my damaged and customized G7 it would probably cost less than £400, or £300 or less for one in good condition.

1 minute ago, Eric Calabros said:

you change/check setting while you are not looking through VF or LCD? why? I use both pro and entry level DSLRs and when I use the later, I never miss the top LCD. 

Just because you never miss it doesn't mean other people don't find it useful.

Even in DSLRs you could check the settings in the viewfinder, the back LCD or the top LCD. Shit with the top Nikon/Canon DSLRs you even have a 4th place at the back of the camera to check settings. Do you really believe this is just to look professional? 

@Mat Mayer The G80/85 doesn’t shoot LOG so HDR is out of the question. On the other hand, my videos shot with the G85, when viewed on a 55” OLED, look spectacular anyhow. If you intend to shoot, edit, deliver and view HDR, unless you’ve already got a Ninja Inferno, an HDR capable NLE and an HDR TV, it will end up costing a lot more than just the GH5 body. Just sayin’.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, its like the Fuji X-Pro2/X-T2 and X-T20/XE3. Pretty much the same cameras with slight variations for different shooters.

We never had this discussion about the A7/r/s.

Total different arena. The Fujis have drastically different body styles and their larger sensor equates to more users, so they can make multiple models to cater to different types of shooters. Is there that large of a Panasonic still shooter user base? Panasonic really seemed to be cornering the Hybrid shooter market but I just don’t see how two cameras at the same price point makes much sense.

The more you get with the GH5 vs the G9 is insane for the same amount of money, so I agree a videographer won’t get a G9 instead of a GH5, but a micro 4/3 photographer may get a GH5 instead of a G9. If the G9 had cost $1000 to $1400, some shooters may have bought both.

At $1700, Panasonic is solely going for the Micro 4/3 photographer that may shoot a very little amount of video but is there anything a Panasonic stills camera can do better than an Olympus?

The pricing and the concept seems neither here nor there. IMO. 

But that’s why they make vanilla and chocolate. And I’m sure it will be a great camera.

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, mercer said:

The more you get with the GH5 vs the G9 is insane for the same amount of money, 

But not for a stills shooter, and thats the point.

And I dont really agree that the Fujis are that different. I can definitely see how this is a similar concept. Some variations but reusing alot of components to cover a wider target audience. Just like the Alpha line. 

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

Look at around 03:50. At least for me he puts it into words in a good way.

Personally I always change settings without looking at the back lcd or viewfinder. It would be an absolute pain to always have to. 

38 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I haven't watched the whole thing but very early the man from Panasonic drops "wildlife and sports".

3 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I am not that sure. I don't find the background rendering with 40-150mm f/2.8 that great and if you compare with FF 400mm f/2.8 or even f/4 there is a big difference in both size and price. 

Expensive for sure, but there is definitely a market. 

Plus the 1.4x Teleconverter (DMW-TC14) is bundled with the lens.

Given other similar lenses are a quarter to a third of the price, this is incredibly expensive. I really really hate the Leica branding, it's definitely over-inflated the prices on these lenses. 

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Just because you never miss it doesn't mean other people don't find it useful.

Even in DSLRs you could check the settings in the viewfinder, the back LCD or the top LCD. Shit with the top Nikon/Canon DSLRs you even have a 4th place at the back of the camera to check settings. Do you really believe this is just to look professional? 

I'm very sure it's to cater to legacy users who're used to looking at a top plate of manual film SLR; as cameras became more and more electronic the top plate is really an awkward place to have a status LCD; I realised this when I used a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7 (that was a really nice camera). 

Still I'm curious over the G9, my GH3 is still serving me very well but it's always nice to have options. 

Edit: Just saw that the G9 has an extra lens mount button in front as well. More controls are always good!

5 minutes ago, leeys said:

Given other similar lenses are a quarter to a third of the price, this is incredibly expensive. I really really hate the Leica branding, it's definitely over-inflated the prices on these lenses. 

The Olympus 300mm f4 is $2500 and is selling very well. The pana 200mm f/2.8 comes with a teleconverter so you can get to 300mm f/4 as well. The extra flexibility is well worth the extra $500. 

5 minutes ago, leeys said:

I'm very sure it's to cater to legacy users who're used to looking at a top plate of manual film SLR; as cameras became more and more electronic the top plate is really an awkward place to have a status LCD; I realised this when I used a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7 (that was a really nice camera). 

Again I find it very useful. For both Nikon and Canon having 2 extra LCDs in their professional cameras and Panasonic deciding to put one in G9, I am guessing there is a large market of "legacy users".