ARRI Alexa cheap enough to own now?

Dave Maze

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That's why the Mini is so extremely popular, but their secondhand prices are still a long way yet from being "affordable".

Yeah.  I've noticed a pattern of cinematographers saying that they got the mini to do a few action shots or whatever and then in doing testing they discovered the mini was really great and ended up using it for the whole production.  These comments made me wonder why you wouldn't just do that as kind of a default, and only go for a larger model if there was a specific reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:11 AM, kye said:

Yeah.  I've noticed a pattern of cinematographers saying that they got the mini to do a few action shots or whatever and then in doing testing they discovered the mini was really great and ended up using it for the whole production.  These comments made me wonder why you wouldn't just do that as kind of a default, and only go for a larger model if there was a specific reason.

I think this is gradually happening, from those I know.

There is an ARRI Alexa Classic (with High Speed license) for only US$5K on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Alexa-Classic-Camera-High-Speed-Ready-To-Shoot-Package-w-Case-600-Ship/174312729518

On 6/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, kye said:

That's because they hadn't used the Mini before. 

But once they had, the Mini became their default. 

The only ARRI shoots I've worked on during the last couple of years which were not Mini shoots was because they were low budget stuff which couldn't afford the rental rate for a Mini so used a different ARRI instead. 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, IronFilm said:

There is an ARRI Alexa Classic (with High Speed license) for only US$5K on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Alexa-Classic-Camera-High-Speed-Ready-To-Shoot-Package-w-Case-600-Ship/174312729518

That's because they hadn't used the Mini before. 

But once they had, the Mini became their default. 

The only ARRI shoots I've worked on during the last couple of years which were not Mini shoots was because they were low budget stuff which couldn't afford the rental rate for a Mini so used a different ARRI instead. 

Yeah for me right now it doesnt make sense to invest in an alexa. But if I ever shoot a shortfilm of my own I might pull the trigger. (Prices will keep dropping)