Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Ilia3101 said:

If you have a 5D mark 3 there is no reason not to use lossless raw. There is definitely no difference in quality with the compression! It is lossless after all, not lossy. It uses the LJ92 compression algorithm, built in to the camera for raw photos.

Yeah, it seems that way. It looks great... although I have had my first camera freeze ever since I switched to this build. It’s nothing that a power off/on doesn’t cure, though... so no big deal.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So far I'm enjoying shooting with my EOSm, and learning more and more every time I shoot with it. I have one quick question about updating ML when a new build is released though... Is there a way to keep all my settings, LV options, recording formats etc. each time I update? Or do I have to set it up from scratch each time?

On 7/30/2019 at 3:06 AM, Shell64 said:

How is the canon 70d with ML raw

It's a good question. Although I've never used it, when I looked into the 70D and ML, it seemed like it was under-developed compared to the EOS M and the 5Diii and 6D. I thought I read that the DPAF increases the crop factor to around 1.82X.

Andrew Reid has nonetheless enjoyed using it. I don't know what build he's used.

@Anaconda_ beautiful shot and colors! would love to see that video. @Alex T beautiful stuff, you make your topics and subjects shine! the slomo is 48p mode in ML RAW?

Love this thread! One of my favorites. Lots of examples of classic and classy camera work here, not even to speak of the beautiful RAW magic and the thrill of the hack.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@Anaconda_ beautiful shot and colors! would love to see that video. @Alex T beautiful stuff, you make your topics and subjects shine! the slomo is 48p mode in ML RAW?

Love this thread! One of my favorites. Lots of examples of classic and classy camera work here, not even to speak of the beautiful RAW magic and the thrill of the hack.

Thanks man! Yeah it's good to see ML alive and well. The slomo is indeed 48p RAW :)

I'm saving for a BMPCC4k at the moment, but I can still see myself using my 5d & ML moving forward too.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, Shell64 said:

Raw video and DPAF is very much appealing as long as it’s usable

Update to what I earlier said.

There's a new build from March 7th and it allows you to record 1832x1024, 24/25fps, 14 bit lossless, 16:9 with "Realtime" preview.

Sounds good but here's some limitations to keep in mind:

1. ISO only good to 400; any higher makes it vulnerable to "hot pixels"
  2. DPAF works effectively only in "zone" mode; not with "Face tracking"
  3. No 46fps/48fps slow motion in 1080p mode (as with the EOS M, for example); 60fps only in 720p.

See this thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.3300 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:00 AM, odie said:

When shooting with the 5d3 is there a way to record pro res to the sd card?

I’m shooting on film and my 5d for two night scenes

No, not without an external recorder. But with the experimental build and 14 Bit Lossless, file sizes are dramatically smaller without any loss in quality. Also if you use MLVFS file system for post, the files open up in Resolve without any transcoding to DNGs. The whole process is really quite simple now.

1 hour ago, ZEEK said:

Thanks Alex. Contax Zeiss series do work wonders! I used to own the 50 1.4 and was inspired to collect these again after seeing them being used very nicely with the URSA Mini. They really create a cinematic feel/vibe!

Cheers :)

Honestly, all Zeiss lenses, I’ve tested, work great with ML Raw. I’ve tested Rollei Zeiss, Contax Zeiss and the ZF Classics.

Although, the newer ZF versions are a bit sharper, I prefer the West German made Rollei Zeiss. I find they have the perfect mix of sharpness, color separation and character with my 5D3.

Here’s a frame from the 50mm 1.8...

59E98EF8-88DC-410D-84E8-FA88849FD77F.thumb.jpeg.86893637d2d77b50a8af6c4041b0a9db.jpeg

And here’s a frame from the 25mm 2.8...

EC5FF8F8-EC19-4688-B04A-619D7A30BC1E.thumb.jpeg.b263b71e7b50024e63b4877679710b02.jpeg

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Honestly, all Zeiss lenses, I’ve tested, work great with ML Raw.

Indeed! Thanks for sharing those clip grabs. The 25mm looks like a scene from the Force Awakens or something. Well Done! 

I've heard the ZF/ZE are poor wide open and too "clinical" which has kept me away from them. I have used Zeiss Practical PB Mount also which are fantastic. The Zeiss Practica PB Mount 28mm f2.8 is a steal if you find it, just a pain to adapt. It's as sharp, if not sharper than the Contax Zeiss 28mm I used to own and goes for less $120 or less if you can find it attached to a poor camera. Cheers! 

45 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Glenn, nice to see you saying it : ) Pity, not so much understand that filmmaking is invariably a combo starting point (E : -)

I can only speak for myself, but slapping on a Sigma Art lens or Canon L is a great option and I probably would have been smarter going that route instead of testing lenses for the past 6 months but whoever said I was smart.

However, in the process I learned so much about what was important to me in an image and I realized I really needed less, even if I wanted more. What started as a goal of having 10 good lenses with 3-4 sets amongst them, I realized I only needed half that.

56 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

Indeed! Thanks for sharing those clip grabs. The 25mm looks like a scene from the Force Awakens or something. Well Done! 

I've heard the ZF/ZE are poor wide open and too "clinical" which has kept me away from them. I have used Zeiss Practical PB Mount also which are fantastic. The Zeiss Practica PB Mount 28mm f2.8 is a steal if you find it, just a pain to adapt. It's as sharp, if not sharper than the Contax Zeiss 28mm I used to own and goes for less $120 or less if you can find it attached to a poor camera. Cheers! 

Haha, thanks. For single-coated lenses (or zero-coated lenses) the Rollei Zeiss’ are something else. Those binoculars really have a mid-century, robotic feel to them but I would have been happy with A New Hope look, let alone A Force Awakens!

The Rollei Zeiss 25mm is one of the oldest lenses I own (it’s older than I am) but its flaws and its strengths make it one of my favorites. I even spent a little extra by putting a Leitax EF mount on it.

Don’t get me wrong, the Zeiss ZF lenses are gorgeous and I find them to have an interesting mix between clinical and character but you don’t really notice it until you get the images into post. With my Nikkors, Rollei Zeiss’, and even my Samyang 50mm, I can see the lens’ qualities on the LCD while I’m shooting.

Btw, if you like that 25mm, I’m pretty sure the Contax version is the same optical formula, just with better coatings.

And if you like the Zeiss Jena, East German lenses, you have to try the 35mm 2.4 and the 50mm 2.8. What they lacked in quality control, they surely made up in image quality.