Jump to content

Magic Lantern Raw Video


Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2020 at 12:49 AM, ZEEK said:

Awesome Mercer! The 5D3 is such a great cam even in 2020! I have the 5D2 and the 14 bit raw amazes me still, especially with the Samyang Primes. 14 Bit RAW I also feel is better than the lossless. The lossless feels like a .png and 14 Bit feels like full raw with more colours to play around with and more detailed too, considering you're getting more bit rate mb/s. Some people can't tell the difference, but I can feel it when I grade and am sure you can too. 

Please make a comparison of 14 bit lossless and 14 bit uncompressed. Lossless means exactly what it does, if you compress and decompress an image with it, the result will be identical, byte for byte, not just visually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Magic lantern is making a lot of progress with 3K+ on the 5D mark 2! Seems what happened with the 5 year old mark III in 2017 is now happening with the 10 year old mark II... 3K announcement

Storm is coming...  SD Card writing speed hack If you are familiar with the ML possibilities, you already know the best RAW capable cameras are those with CF card. The CF Card interface is c

Well, even if I do have to reset some settings every now and then, I’m really enjoying shooting with my eos-m and 28mm f2.8 Canon FD lens... 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ilia3101 said:

Please make a comparison of 14 bit lossless and 14 bit uncompressed. Lossless means exactly what it does, if you compress and decompress an image with it, the result will be identical, byte for byte, not just visually.

I have done my own tests and will continue to do so. I personally feel the colour reproduction is slightly less degraded in the uncompressed and for the 14-bit RAW footage, in particular skin tones. There probably isn't a difference except in file size, but I like to push my grading in my spare time and just feel something different with the Uncompressed. Whi knowa i may be wrong, but I'll continue to grade lossless and uncompressed just for my own sanity sake and see. Cheers ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lossless means what it says but just because something is called "lossless" doesn't in fact make it so.

Mercer and Seek have used ML cameras as daily drivers or, if not, extensively, so there's probably something to the difference.

A test would be good, nonetheless. I have a 5Diii and wouldn't mind testing out the difference and sharing the results here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, ZEEK said:

Honestly, you don't need an upgrade, maybe just a 4K side camera to fill that need. I have the GH5 as a 4K sidekick, but I now appreciate the Magic Lantern cameras more. They're better for my main needs, the gh5 is just for backup 4K if I ever need it. 

I have had pretty much all. 12, 14, 24, 35, 50 & 85 (never owned the 135mm although it looks nice). Now I just own the 35 & 50mm. Both great companions to the 5Dii and extremely sharp. They grade like Hollywood lens ? The 24mm was very nice, but the 24mm and the 85mm just feel like speciality lenses to use in certain situations which is why I sold them as I don't use them often. For landscapes and closeups, they're perfect! Might consider the 85mm again.

I love both the 5D and the EOS M. The 5D is overall better with low light and dynamic range. The dynamic range gives the 5D2 a high end camera feel. Without an ND on a bright day, I'd have to stop the EOS M to about F22, with the 5D2 it's like F11. I love crop sensor cameras as well as the portability. The 5D2 I feel overall provides a more detailed and visually pleasing cinematic look. Really love it, won't give it away.

With dual iso, it has 14 stops of DR, just need to get the settings working. Pentax K lenses also go well with the Canon Full Frame if you file the back correctly. 

Here is the latest eos m film I did, not sure if you've seen it, but it's probably the best work in terms of colour I have pushed on the EOS m:

I use both the 5D2 & EOS M equally as much. 

That's beautiful, this thread has peaked my interest in tinkering with a 5d 2/3 and ML raw to shoot my beach sunset stuff. I just don't want to pull the trigger on a cinema camera yet (mostly because I'll need more than just cards to make one work) and I have access to EF lenses. Searching for a cheap 5d now...

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

That's beautiful, this thread has peaked my interest in tinkering with a 5d 2/3 and ML raw to shoot my beach sunset stuff. I just don't want to pull the trigger on a cinema camera yet (mostly because I'll need more than just cards to make one work) and I have access to EF lenses. Searching for a cheap 5d now...

Chris

If you can afford it, I recommend getting the Mark III for full 1080p, the ability to keep the firmware constantly on an SD card while you record on CF cards, the OLPF Filter, etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Trek of Joy it's worth it. There's also something about it that reminds me of shooting still photos on celluloid. The high quality and fact that when you unpack each clip its just thousands of raw images. Grading with it is a dream coming from a stills background. Makes me only ever want a RAW cinema camera in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the 5D2's are so cheap these days, I can get 3 at around $400-550 locally. I got mine for $500. But honestly, I believe the 5D3 is worth every penny if you are going to be a dedicated ML User, or want the most reliable RAW recording. Get yourself some Nikkor lenses and enjoy pushing those colours around...😎👍

I love my A7rii 4K to bits, but prefer the look and colours of my EOS M or 5D2 with ML Raw more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

On the 5DMKIII, Is RAW using the full width of the sensor?

I can get 1920x1280 12bit continuous RAW/.MLV with sound (using the experimental 10/12-bit RAW video "magiclantern-raw\_video\_10bit\_12bit.2019Mar24.5D3123" build. NOT Crop_rec build.)

That said, on my 5DmkIII, it’s getting the full width of the sensor (I believe? Yes?). Is it pixel binning/skipping to get the full width? Or is it super sampling the whole sensor?

Also, with the "mlv\_snd" module, do I still get sound if I’m doing a FPS override at an even 24.00fps? (FPS override says that it disables sound.)

Thanks all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Devon said:

On the 5DMKIII, Is RAW using the full width of the sensor?

I can get 1920x1280 12bit continuous RAW/.MLV with sound (using the experimental 10/12-bit RAW video "magiclantern-raw\_video\_10bit\_12bit.2019Mar24.5D3123" build. NOT Crop_rec build.)

That said, on my 5DmkIII, it’s getting the full width of the sensor (I believe? Yes?). Is it pixel binning/skipping to get the full width? Or is it super sampling the whole sensor?

Also, with the "mlv\_snd" module, do I still get sound if I’m doing a FPS override at an even 24.00fps? (FPS override says that it disables sound.)

Thanks all!

Why not put it on a tripod and shoot a test clip and then take a RAW still image and then compare?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kye said:

Why not put it on a tripod and shoot a test clip and then take a RAW still image and then compare?

I did! Looks like it is. But how is it achieving that? Is it line skipping, pixel binning, or super sampling?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...