Adobe Rant

Neumann Films

I recently canceled my subscription with Adobe. I was already pissed off by the instabilities you mentioned and some minor and major bugs that persisted in the programs, sometimes for over 10 years.

Though the one thing that finally made me cancel, was that I found out they overcharged me by ~240€ over the last 2 years. When I started studying 3 years ago, I got the student subscription. That thing was 20€ / month for the first year, then 30€. However, they lowered the price to 20€ quite a while back. Since I still had an "old subscription" they didn't bother telling me about the price drop and kept charging 30€ / month. Those are some seriously sketchy business practices - it's not like my old subscription was different in any way, it was just more expensive.

I complained about the matter and was told it's not their responsibility to inform me of price drops and I should've checked myself. Yes, thank you Adobe. You guys have fucked me over more than once… so I cancelled.

Edit: Here's a screenshots of the plans (compare first plan to last plan)

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 16.12.48.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

That's why I never even started with Adobe CC.

The only Adobe software I'm using is Lightroom and I got myself the last non-CC version (and yes, it still gets updates for new camera models.).

The only thing I'm missing out on is Lightroom Mobile but since I'm an Android user and have no iPad, that doesn't matter much.

Give Capture One Pro a shot, I switched and love it.

37 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Give Capture One Pro a shot, I switched and love it.

I tried Aphinity Photo. Found that the old Lightroom is exactly what I need. Unless anyone implements tethered shooting with Panasonic GH cameras that is.

I'm also VERY suspicious of anyone recommending things to me without knowing even the first thing about my requirements.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

How does Premiere handle 10bit FS7 footage? Same crap?

Nope, 10bit 4K from FS7 is handled easily... as well as 10bit FullHD, both XAVC-I and L.

It is disappointing that GH5 footage is not supported by Premiere, which has bulit a renewed reputation in the last years as the NLE which was compatible with pretty much every format -not needing to transcode in 5D mkII and 7D back then-, and Adobe as the company that actually listened to pros...

Does any NLE actually support those files? Maybe it is not so easy and Adobe may have not felt "compelled" to rush it given the fact that lately they still have been the first ones to support new cameras and formats (h265, CDNG) though admittedly they could have been faster to do so (DNG for example, or XAVC-L which was buggy at first)

2 hours ago, pablogrollan said:

Nope, 10bit 4K from FS7 is handled easily... as well as 10bit FullHD, both XAVC-I and L.

It is disappointing that GH5 footage is not supported by Premiere, which has bulit a renewed reputation in the last years as the NLE which was compatible with pretty much every format -not needing to transcode in 5D mkII and 7D back then-, and Adobe as the company that actually listened to pros...

Does any NLE actually support those files? Maybe it is not so easy and Adobe may have not felt "compelled" to rush it given the fact that lately they still have been the first ones to support new cameras and formats (h265, CDNG) though admittedly they could have been faster to do so (DNG for example, or XAVC-L which was buggy at first)

Adobe just broke support with the latest update. The previous PP CC build supported the GH5 10-bit files- that's an option, install the prior build.

I know a solution. 

It's called Final Cut Pro X. 

The days are are long gone when Apple radically changed it. This is now an absolutely incredible edit program. 

In comparison, Premiere feels vastly outdated compared to FCPX's fluidity, speed, reliability, innovation, intuitive usability. It's just fantastic. One of Apples best properties. 

If you're frustrated with Premiere, FCPX is a no-brainer. 

Time for people to let go of the past and wake up.

29 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I know a solution. 

The days are are long gone when Apple radically changed it. This is now an absolutely incredible edit program. 

In comparison, Premiere feels vastly outdated compared to FCPX's fluidity, speed, reliability, innovation, intuitive usability. It's just fantastic. One of Apples best properties. 

*assumes everyone owns a Mac

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I know a solution. 

As a recent FCPX convert I can attest to the fluidity of this program. While it's excellent for simple projects, it is far from having the feature set of Premiere or it's integration with After Effects & Audition. Any decent color grading requires expensive plugins and not to mention buying an overpriced Apple computer. 

With the bad performance and fairly high price of Premiere, Davinci Resolve 14 should really attack this segment with better NLE experience and audio support/processing. 

19 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I cannot stand it when companies behave like Adobe has.  

Fast forward to GH5 ship date and the Adobe workflow is still a complete mess.  Still, for anyone looking to at least get somewhere, After Effects is an option to get started. 

Totally agree of course but simple solution that works FAST, and edits GREAT! I created a PDF which summarises everything. It is EASY, adds no extra time. WAIT there's more! :D GH5 10 bit fix.pdf

Yes, FCPX is great nowadays. I have gone away to use Resolve for editing only because of the terrible state of Macbook/Mac "Pro" hardware.

(No state of the art graphics card with lots of memory, no huge mechanical drive or multiple drives for editing on my many train rides where external drives are no option, screens with a terribly black point and the Mac Pro desaster for 3 hardware generations now. Thus forced to leave when the 2011 Macpro was no longer good enough because of missing CUDA1.2)

8 minutes ago, leeys said:

Resolve doesn't handle 10bit? I've been using it a lot lately and I'm liking it more and more. Runs great even on older hardware.

What sich posting are you referring to?

I use Resolve with 10Bit ProRes 4:2:2HQ on a 10bit display all the time and also with 12bit CinemaDNG.

DO you mean it doesn't reat 10bit h.265 profiles/levels?