Adobe Rant

Neumann Films

The sooner the better.  Nothing like doing simple editing in Premiere Pro and having the program stop in the middle of rendering, then the program closes itself.  PITA multiplied by about a million.

And Photoshop is starting to screw up too, I've had to restart that program when it just does what it wants to do.  At least I can save my work in Photoshop then restart.  Premiere Pro just stops and that's it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Am I the only one who have disastrous experience with Adobe's OpenCL driver, Media Encoder cashing two million times on me while trying to render a 35 minute long video in UHD with colour grading done in SpeedGrade (That program performs the worst) 

And the sad part is that CS6 never gave me those issues, SpeedGrade in CS6 performs wonderful too, I keep asking on the forums but no one wants to answer me, what is up with the OpenCL driver?? I lost the will to even edit videos nowadays because I am afraid I will be stuck for weeks just trying to finish an edit on this grinding slow program specially when I try to edit those massive 150 - 180mbps files from the NX1, transcoding them takes a good chunk of my time too and space which I do not have luxury of.

Anyone have any good experience in these cases? I use open source formats as much as possible like FLAC, VP8 and 9, I been experimenting a bit with other formats that are closed like CineForm but all these specially VP9 takes decades before its done rendering, yet funny enough in open source and FREE.

But still, rendering takes a while on my 4 core and 8 threaded Intel Core i7 Extreme 3rd gen processor.

Is it worth using CC 2017 over CC 2014/2015? 

16 hours ago, studiodc said:

Actually the buzz from my pro photog friends is that Capture One Pro is the best Lightroom replacement (and better at pretty much everything). The raw processing there is astounding and it uses resolve-style colour wheels and HSL qualifiers for grading. Best colour workflow for photos that I've seen yet. I'm switching literally today, as version 10 has really impressed me in demo so far. So, I've found a replacement for everything except After Effects and I'm by no means a strong compositor - shoot, cut, and colour are my focus. As for graphic design and audio, I've already got great tools for those that suit my needs to a T. I've prepaid the year on Adobe so I'll let it run out, but I won't be funnelling any more money their way. Trapcode was tons of fun to play with, but honestly I get way more enjoyment for my hours just shooting and making simpler, more poignant things than trying to create sci-fi or alter reality too far. 

And, I'm a die hard FCPX fan too, but even with great plugins like Colorista IV, I still vastly prefer Resolve's workflow for colour, LUT, and image tweaking. If Resolve 14 edits anywhere near as well as FCPX does, I'll probably be starting some projects there just to see how it goes, rather than finishing only. 

Yes. The one thing darktable has going for it is that it is open source and free. Pretty decent features despite being free.

Haven't used Capture One myself - but they've been around since before Lightroom, so I bet it's a very mature product!

55 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Am I the only one who have disastrous experience with Adobe's OpenCL driver, Media Encoder cashing two million times on me while trying to render a 35 minute long video in UHD with colour grading done in SpeedGrade (That program performs the worst) 

And the sad part is that CS6 never gave me those issues, SpeedGrade in CS6 performs wonderful too, I keep asking on the forums but no one wants to answer me, what is up with the OpenCL driver?? I lost the will to even edit videos nowadays because I am afraid I will be stuck for weeks just trying to finish an edit on this grinding slow program specially when I try to edit those massive 150 - 180mbps files from the NX1, transcoding them takes a good chunk of my time too and space which I do not have luxury of.

Anyone have any good experience in these cases? I use open source formats as much as possible like FLAC, VP8 and 9, I been experimenting a bit with other formats that are closed like CineForm but all these specially VP9 takes decades before its done rendering, yet funny enough in open source and FREE.

But still, rendering takes a while on my 4 core and 8 threaded Intel Core i7 Extreme 3rd gen processor.

Is it worth using CC 2017 over CC 2014/2015? 

Historically, CUDA drivers with PP CC have been more stable than OpenCL on OSX. When the CUDA drivers go bad, worst case is black video, garbage, flipped images, etc. When OpenCL goes bad, can cause a kernel panic and instant reboot (lost work if last edit wasn't saved for any open apps). Sounds like you are on Windows running an AMD GPU, no CUDA option? If so, suggest getting a recent Nvidia GPU (GTX 1080 if possible, some of the much less expensive versions run just about as fast (within seconds for most tasks: see the GTX 1070 vs top-of-the-line GPUs here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-Performance-912/)).

Some 2015.x releases were practically unusable due to bugs and crashes: lots of wasted time working around bugs, including switching between OSX and Windows for whichever version was less buggy, and refactoring edits just to make progress and finish projects.

Win10Pro, 6950X, GTX 1080 and OSX Sierra, 12 Core MacPro GTX 980ti have been reasonably stable so far with CUDA and even OpenCL on OSX* (haven't cut anything major on the Win10Pro box since the latest release came out, just tests).

* In one simple render benchmark, CUDA was a few seconds faster.

Crashing? Good thing we're not talking about Vegas Pro then ahahah (plus numerous other cheap NLE's I've tried). Ah such is life. I managed to get 3 bad power supplies in a row over 2 years combined with the first (or 2nd?) gen i7 boards. The last year or so has been pretty good with PremCC. Always looking for something better of course so either Adobe steps up or the decline will be inevitable. 

@Andrew Reid

"An extra step though it might be, transcoding to ProRes in that is 100% necessary for Mac users wanting to edit in Premiere but for Windows users the situation is worse. ProRes isn’t supported out of the box and most of the popular transcoding apps are freeware solutions like Rocky Mountain Movie Converter (*shudder*). They’re nowhere near the level EditReady is at. EditReady is the best $50 I’ve ever spent.".

Hello Andrew,

(copy of nearly same message in another news comment about another Davinci Reolve 14 subject, i apologize)

I made editing on my Windows 10 laptop with Davinci Resolve 12.5 and i work with Prores video files without the need of Quicktime 7 Pro (obsolete now) .

I transcode mov files from Canon EOS with ClipToolz convert, a robust well fitted video trancoder to get HD Ready smallest files in Prores. 

There is a free trial version od ClipToolz 4.0, and they have a bunch of high quality freewares !

It could be nice to correct your news for your followers working with Windows.

CLIPTOOLZ 4.0  (PROFESSIONNAL VIDEO CONVERTER FOR WINDOWS)

http://hdcinematics.com/why.html

http://hdcinematics.com/     

FREEWARES from same company

http://hdcinematics.com/freeTools.html

The best $0 I’ve ever spent, i got a free copy of ClipToolz V2. An the new V4 is 20 $.

Best regards

V4-MediaBrowser.PNG

V4-MainUI.PNG

15 hours ago, dahlfors said:

Yes. The one thing darktable has going for it is that it is open source and free. Pretty decent features despite being free.

Haven't used Capture One myself - but they've been around since before Lightroom, so I bet it's a very mature product!

Love Capture One. Color editing is much more natural, and has a skin tone editing/white balance feature that I find invaluable. I enjoy my results better in it.

Lightroom does have better organizational tools, and it's denoise is superior.

Edit: Was going to post a comparison using the new version of Lightroom, but it crashed while I was editing :)

On 29.4.2017 at 11:59 PM, jcs said:

Historically, CUDA drivers with PP CC have been more stable than OpenCL on OSX. When the CUDA drivers go bad, worst case is black video, garbage, flipped images, etc. When OpenCL goes bad, can cause a kernel panic and instant reboot (lost work if last edit wasn't saved for any open apps). Sounds like you are on Windows running an AMD GPU, no CUDA option? If so, suggest getting a recent Nvidia GPU (GTX 1080 if possible, some of the much less expensive versions run just about as fast (within seconds for most tasks: see the GTX 1070 vs top-of-the-line GPUs here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-Performance-912/)).

Some 2015.x releases were practically unusable due to bugs and crashes: lots of wasted time working around bugs, including switching between OSX and Windows for whichever version was less buggy, and refactoring edits just to make progress and finish projects.

Win10Pro, 6950X, GTX 1080 and OSX Sierra, 12 Core MacPro GTX 980ti have been reasonably stable so far with CUDA and even OpenCL on OSX* (haven't cut anything major on the Win10Pro box since the latest release came out, just tests).

* In one simple render benchmark, CUDA was a few seconds faster.

What would you recommend? I am afraid of using the CC 2017 as my experience is just getting worse with every new updates, CC 2014 worked relatively well for me I guess unless my memory is fooling me, but that means no H265 support. CC 2015 is mixture of luck and bad luck.

Stick to CS6 & CC 2014? Or would you recommend CC 2017?

I got Windows 8.1 Pro x64, i7-3940XM Quad Core, 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz and Radeon R9 M290X 4GB, I genuinely just want something that work because last time it kept screwing me over all the time on the render, and I wasted a week just rendering out JPEG's because it kept rendering faulty frames every 10 minute and because I already had done doing the project reverting to an older version was not an option, I believe that was CC 2015. 

After that I honestly just lost all the will to edit videos on Adobe, Photoshop works very well, InDesign works everything else however just screwing me over specially Adobe Muse lately.

1 hour ago, SMGJohn said:

What would you recommend? I am afraid of using the CC 2017 as my experience is just getting worse with every new updates, CC 2014 worked relatively well for me I guess unless my memory is fooling me, but that means no H265 support. CC 2015 is mixture of luck and bad luck.

Stick to CS6 & CC 2014? Or would you recommend CC 2017?

I got Windows 8.1 Pro x64, i7-3940XM Quad Core, 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz and Radeon R9 M290X 4GB, I genuinely just want something that work because last time it kept screwing me over all the time on the render, and I wasted a week just rendering out JPEG's because it kept rendering faulty frames every 10 minute and because I already had done doing the project reverting to an older version was not an option, I believe that was CC 2015. 

After that I honestly just lost all the will to edit videos on Adobe, Photoshop works very well, InDesign works everything else however just screwing me over specially Adobe Muse lately.

The latest version of CC 2017 is working OK for our projects in both OSX Sierra and Windows 10 Pro with Nvidia GPUs (980ti 6GB and 1080 8GB). Your R9 should work OK performance wise (might be a little short on VRAM at 4GB, depends on your projects).  Perhaps give the free trial a spin? Otherwise you can always cancel the subscription. The latest version of Resolve isn't quite ready, though if you have very basic editing needs (e.g little or no audio tweaking), it might work for you as is (perhaps try it to see what to look forward to once out of beta).

The only thing I'd be careful about is the CC 2017 bug with the media cache- if set to the root of a drive, clearing that cache will delete all media files for the entire drive: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2306406 (looks like the bug deletes all media files recursively from wherever it's been set). Reported on this forum here: 

1 hour ago, jcs said:

The only thing I'd be careful about is the CC 2017 bug with the media cache- if set to the root of a drive, clearing that cache will delete all media files for the entire drive: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2306406 (looks like the bug deletes all media files recursively from wherever it's been set). Reported on this forum here: 

I turned off all the settings to automatically delete the cache files, and I haven't had an issue since. Knock on wood.

I heard at NAB 2017 from a BM rep that Resolve 14 is partially created by an individual who co-created Apple Final Cut Pro 5-6-7. More specifically, one of the most prolific individuals from Final Cut Pro 5-6-7 has moved onto to Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve.

In my opinion, it's worth your time to study the program. For example, 2 - 3x faster render times in Resolve than w/ Adobe Premiere. Admittedly, there are some issue, if you become an expert, but they all appear to have a resolution, whether a new software iteration or a user group that facilitates productivity.

Personally left Adobe just over a year ago, before Resolve 12.5. I actually enjoy editing now; specifically because I feel like I know exactly what my hardware is capable and that "that capability" is almost always delivered.

Still using Resolve 12.5 here. Installed beta #1 for DaVinci Resolve 14 and it worked for all of about 10 minutes. Experienced a database error and it hasn't work since; including multiple re-installs. Posted the results on BM's Resolve forum. Others are, in fact, having the same issue; in addition to a multitude of other crashing / non-functioning issues. As of right now, this beta #1 DaVinci Resolve 14 is far, far worse than any beta releases from both DR 12 and DR 12.5. That being said, waiting to test next beta DR 14 release, here. Hopefully it's strong enough to work. Previously, the DR 12 and 12.5 beta releases were sound enough to do work with.