Adobe Rant

Neumann Films

3 hours ago, cantsin said:

You can easily switch Resolve from database storage to file system storage - no problem even in version 12. All you need to do is uncheck the PostgreSQL install option. Even when running Resolve in database mode, you can optionally save into a conventional project file. This allows you, too, to convert your existing databases into project files, deinstall PostgreSQL and save into files by default. I tested this, and it works.

Have links to any walkthroughs on that? hate the database storage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, tugela said:

CorelDraw. IMO it is better than Illustrator.

I second that motion.  An CorelDraw user, 20 years - never looked back.  The PhotoPaint could be better, but I love the easy way to do graphics.

14 hours ago, jcs said:

Check out Affinity Designer to replace Illustrator: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

Which use to be Serif... as in Serif Draw?  Interesting, I may look into their photo/graphics package.

10 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Well AVID just released a free version of their popular NLE:

http://www.4kshooters.net/2017/04/25/nab-2017-avid-media-composer-first-is-a-free-version-of-hollywoods-favourite-nle/

These free solutions are very good news for this community!

Well finally!  After being told that it would launch the final part of 2015 or beginning 2016.  Nevertheless, I look forward to it.

Lots of great things popping up.

1 hour ago, Jn- said:

GH5 422 10 bit file wrap to MXF ...

Link to updated GJeffrey files ... 

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gh5-4k-24-30p-problem--105152/#ca658569

Quote from G Jeffrey ...

"Wrapping to mxf as been updated. Thanks to john_dennis who reported a problem with 23.976fps mov files.

There is also support for multichannel audio.

Refer to my previous post for updated installation instruction and batch files."

Link to JN- zip files with updated code ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6p4adbm983p435/AABq-0tGLVRzqRDHnAufINjIa?dl=0

So what do your files do differently? Do you transcode to prorez? 

21 hours ago, Axel said:

Converter? Software? Okay, admittedly I only know the few first Neumann clips - the 10-bit clips could be easily opened and played back by FCP X natively (with Better Quality enabled and If a frame drops, stop playback and warn checked). Resolve didn't recognize them. Just tested with Resolve 14 beta: Aside from the 60p (8-bit) clips, the others show Media offline

For the record: GH5 10-bit footage seems to be accepted by Resolve Studio 14 (now $299, no dongle). Can s.o. confirm?

My experience is even worst. It's getting worst and worst since CC 2014 I think. And now I completely unable to edit something higher than FHD smooth. CUDA mode is not working at all showing just empty preview window. OpenCL works with lags. Metal is slide show.

Final Cut Pro 10 is working flawlessly in 4k even with tons of color corrections

Why Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 is a shit on Mac?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3263TpJP4IQ

3 hours ago, Andrey Burkov said:

My experience is even worst. It's getting worst and worst since CC 2014 I think. And now I completely unable to edit something higher than FHD smooth. CUDA mode is not working at all showing just empty preview window. OpenCL works with lags. Metal is slide show.

Final Cut Pro 10 is working flawlessly in 4k even with tons of color corrections

Why Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 is a shit on Mac?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3263TpJP4IQ

Cool profile pic ??. That sounds like what I experienced back in December when I had to build a new Win10Pro box to edit 4K.

Since I switched to Sierra and the latest Nvidia drivers, everything has become more stable and the latest PP CC edits 4K again. HW is 2010 12-core MacPro 24GB RAM and GTX980ti (modded for OSX by Macvidcards). A major part of the issue is the Nvidia drivers (Nvidia Sierra drivers have so far been pretty stable).

22 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Have links to any walkthroughs on that? hate the database storage

No, I once did that myself and described it on the German-language Slashcam forum. But it's very straightforward:

1) From the project browser, consecutively open every project, saving each of them with "Export Project" (Ctrl-E)

2) Deinstall PostgreSQL. Davinci installed this as a separate package from Resolve, so this is easy and straightforward. In Windows, just deinstall it using the system dialog for installed apps.

3) Resolve will now start in single-user mode with an empty project browser.

4) Open a new/empty project, consecutively import all saved projects via "Import Project". The projects will NOT open in Resolve, but turn up in the project browser.

5) Go back to the project browser to see and open your reimported projects.

6) From now on, all projects will automatically be saved as project files, not into a database. Saving can take more time with complex projects - the price you pay for the convenience.

On 23/04/2017 at 4:01 PM, Neumann Films said:

I cannot stand it when companies behave like Adobe has. 

I've been paying a CC subscription for 3 years, but I'm still using CS6 because Adobe killed AE multiprocessing support in CC 2015. What a fucking joke.

On 25/04/2017 at 10:58 AM, Lintelfilm said:

The one thing I really feel the lack of is a Lightroom alternative. It still boggles my mind that Apple dropped Aperture and replaced it with ... Photos. I bought Cyberlink Photo Director 8 recently to try as a photo library, which seems adequate if rather slow at loading thumbnails. To me it's weird that apple offer an excellent and well supported pro video app but not a pro photo  manager. You'd think the two would go hand in hand.

If I didn't have a CC subscription through work, I'd probably give the open source Darktable a try: http://www.darktable.org

I found today that "Title" has disappeared from the "New" menu in Premiere.

So i found this tutorial in trying to hunt for it: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/add-titles-graphics-video-project.html

Except that none of the menus mentioned exist as described.

On PC here, there is no "Title Tools" under Window. What there is, is an unfinished entry that says (no title) at the top, if you click on (no title) you get a "Legacy Title" window.

After searching in the keyboard shortcuts I found "New Title" bound to Ctlr+T. That's the only way to access it, otherwise it appears it has been hidden.

You can also now access text tools in the second tab of "Essential Grpahics", but these don't appear in the bins, confusingly enough. You also wont be able to use these without first selecting the type tool and typing on the frame.

Also, in essential graphics, you can't type the name of a font you want, only the first letter, so if you have lots you have to scroll for days to get the one you want.

It's just all a bit... shit.

This feels like beta. I mean literally not finishing typing the names of the menu entries before releasing...

I dunno what to say.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, jgharding said:

I found today that "Title" has disappeared from the "New" menu in Premiere.

So i found this tutorial in trying to hunt for it: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/add-titles-graphics-video-project.html

Except that none of the menus mentioned exist as described.

On PC here, there is no "Title Tools" under Window. What there is, is an unfinished entry that says (no title) at the top, if you click this you get a "Legacy Title" window.

After searching in the keyboard shortcuts I found New Title bound to Ctlr+T. That's the only way to access it.

This feels like beta. I mean literally not finishing typing the names of the menu entries before releasing...

I dunno what to say.

Meanwhile Resolve gets Fairlight Audio.

I think I'll let Adobe's new team rock back and forth in the corner for a few years while they figure out how to add Titles to the Menus.

You can also now access text tools in the second tab of "Essential Grpahics", but these don't appear in the bins, confusingly enough. You also wont be able to use these without first selecting the type tool and typing on the frame.

Also, in essential graphics, you can't type the name of a font you want, only the first letter, so if you have lots you have to scroll for days to get the one you want.

It's just all a bit... shit.

It's just really disappointing.

Lumetri panel was a breath of fresh air, great accelerated grading in the timeline, this new update feel like some kind of mess.

My only hope is that theyre leaning towards integrating the whole production workflow, but the suite is now spread out across so many different programmes, betas, tools and even some abandonware (Speedgrade) that something as contained as Resolve makes it look like a bit of a bad joke.

Once resolve editing is as swift as Prem, it'll be a no-contest. It may well be for all I know. But I'm now a decade-long user, who has started learning a rival piece of software...

The question is: do i really to give them £500 a year to give me occasioanl beta updates? I'm not sure I do.

39 minutes ago, sandro said:

Since the NX1 came out I used proxies, then Adobe added H.265 support but where you actually able to work with 4K H.265 files? Me never, so proxies are still needed. So what is so horrible in the meantime for GH5 to use proxies? They will add support for sure. 

Is resolve actually good on Windows?

It won't even create proxies at this point, I would be happy just to get the files into Premiere.

4 hours ago, sandro said:

Since the NX1 came out I used proxies, then Adobe added H.265 support but where you actually able to work with 4K H.265 files? Me never, so proxies are still needed. So what is so horrible in the meantime for GH5 to use proxies? They will add support for sure. 

Is resolve actually good on Windows?

Yes.  I have been using it for the past year.   It struggles with h.264 in version 12.5, but the 14 beta is chugging along just fine.  Looking forward to great things once the official version of 14 rolls out.

On 2017-04-27 at 7:40 AM, dahlfors said:

If I didn't have a CC subscription through work, I'd probably give the open source Darktable a try: http://www.darktable.org

Actually the buzz from my pro photog friends is that Capture One Pro is the best Lightroom replacement (and better at pretty much everything). The raw processing there is astounding and it uses resolve-style colour wheels and HSL qualifiers for grading. Best colour workflow for photos that I've seen yet. I'm switching literally today, as version 10 has really impressed me in demo so far. So, I've found a replacement for everything except After Effects and I'm by no means a strong compositor - shoot, cut, and colour are my focus. As for graphic design and audio, I've already got great tools for those that suit my needs to a T. I've prepaid the year on Adobe so I'll let it run out, but I won't be funnelling any more money their way. Trapcode was tons of fun to play with, but honestly I get way more enjoyment for my hours just shooting and making simpler, more poignant things than trying to create sci-fi or alter reality too far. 

And, I'm a die hard FCPX fan too, but even with great plugins like Colorista IV, I still vastly prefer Resolve's workflow for colour, LUT, and image tweaking. If Resolve 14 edits anywhere near as well as FCPX does, I'll probably be starting some projects there just to see how it goes, rather than finishing only. 

I am amazed ever time Resolve updates their product how many new things they add. They don't do just a few things. I guess it could be because it was a bit weak to start with. But damn they sure are trying to make it the best overall tool out there that's for sure. I think in the future it will be The thing to use like it or not.

And like Andrew said, that Fairlight addition is well, pretty unbelievable. Up to 1,000 Tracks, Jesus. And that Mixing Console, holly crap! And at around 27k I think I read, that is Really not too bad.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I am amazed ever time Resolve updates their product how many new things they add.

I have some numbers. From day one to 2013, when the Adobe subscription model was presented, they had sold 13 million licenses for all products, over two decades. From 2013 until now, there are 9 million subscribers (included, of course, design and photography packages). Adobe officially said:

Across all routes to market, we continue to see solid demand for Creative Cloud, with large portions of our legacy perpetual customers moving to a subscription model. In addition, we are now migrating significant numbers of hobbyist customers who previously used Photoshop Elements and Lightroom on a perpetual basis to the Creative Cloud Photography offering.

"Significant numbers" means economically significant. And "all routes" traditionally include the, er, unofficial users too (cracks).

From 1998 to 2011 (when FCP X started) Apple had sold 300.000 FCP licenses, now they sold FCP X 2 million times (and for the customers the need to buy Apple hardware to use it. BTW: it's interesting to point out that the trashcan MP didn't sell well, had all those "pro" users been content with iMacs and MacBooks?). Resolve had been $30.000 before 2011, became free for the mass market (with restrictions irrelevant for the "hobbyist customers") and is now offered with additional features (i.e. ability to read GH5 10-bit files, not too irrelevant. And: they never need to change their UHD-limit, when consumers soon demand higher resolutions) for $300. What generates more money? A hundred con/prosumers or one big customer who of course expects personal support and a commitment?

Take Fusion, also a high-end software, now free. But (like Apples Shake) not easy to learn and not comfortable to use. Maybe they will even try to merge it with Resolve. One day we may wake up, and there is Resolve 16 (or so), the swiss army knife of video software. And there may also be a Blackmagic computer line, optimized for this software. Would you laugh at that?

Well past history or not, and how much money Adobe makes, Blackmagic is out to kill their ass. And by the looks of Resolve 14 they just may do it sooner than later. I have used Resolve form the day it came out to the masses. I have watched it evolve into a pretty mature product. BM is out to win, and win they will. And I will help them win. I HATE Adobe.  :grimace: