It turns out I am Canon's biggest fan!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

What's the number Andrew? WHAT'S THE NUMBER? :tounge_wink:

The 1D C telephone is actually what I am going to dial on to reach Canon.

2 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Yeah, way to go Andrew, you tell em.  Maybe send them a link to your recent post on Lens ... "At a quarter of a million dollars, is this the lens pros have been waiting for?"

Since there a company that makes a lot of lens, no doubt your in depth review should really impress them, or not.

Some people just don't appreciate satire.

I like this article. I think you certainly have enough Canon gear to have them consider your input a little more attentively, despite any constructive criticism you may have levelled against them.

Honest question, how do you afford to spend over $100 000 of camera gear. It's obviously a luxury not many Pro's let alone enthusiasts could afford. I'd assume either its been a profitable hobby buying and selling... or your blog has been particularly profitable. Either way, I'm jealous.

14 minutes ago, themartist said:

I like this article. I think you certainly have enough Canon gear to have them consider your input a little more attentively, despite any constructive criticism you may have levelled against them.

Honest question, how do you afford to spend over $100 000 of camera gear. It's obviously a luxury not many Pro's let alone enthusiasts could afford. I'd assume either its been a profitable hobby buying and selling... or your blog has been particularly profitable. Either way, I'm jealous.

Just out of curiosity. Wouldn't you have rather made like a few Indie Films for that $100,000 or so you said you spent on the Canon Gear?

Well Canon is Canon. Probably the most Bull Headed company that makes Cameras, Lenses. They are like a Aircraft Carrier, they have deadly stuff that can kill anyone, but god help you if you need to turn the damn ship left or right! They really act like people will buy their stuff no matter how outdated it is anymore, or crippled. Well I hate to tell them they have to change or their camera business or it is done, just like Nikon on the edge of going out of business..  Even Canon's printer business is going to go away, who the hell prints anymore?

They have had a serious run of good fortune in the past, but they need to wake up and not cripple the shit out of their lower end stuff, because other company's are going to hand their ass to them. They have the talent, skill to make about anything happen, but they seem to be in the slow lane on making that happen in this day and age. Pick up the Pace Canon!

Oh and listen to Andrew, he has sort of following of people that sort of have a clue about Video stuff.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

They have had a serious run of good fortune in the past, but they need to wake up and not cripple the shit out of their lower end stuff, because other company's are going to hand their ass to them. They have the talent, skill to make about anything happen, but they seem to be in the slow lane on making that happen in this day and age. Pick up the Pace Canon!

Oh and listen to Andrew, he has sort of following of people that sort of have a clue about Video stuff.

That's exactly right, it's not just about me as a customer, it's about the millions of others who check this blog every year and want to get advice on what cameras shoot good video.

Canon ignore them at their peril.

Interest in DSLR and mirrorless video is not small. 4.6 million session on EOSHD last year from 1.7 million unique users.

Might be worth actually reaching out to one of their resellers, I have borrowed an XC10 for example for a charity project.  ProAv in the UK were great about it and as a result I have bought various other kit from them since.  Canon were, I believe, involved in this loan.  I of course get what your saying but I suspect they don't feel the need at this point at least to engage directly. 

It turns out that I'm not Canon fan anymore. Wish I would... But I can't. Their new products are not very special any more. Video features stopped in 2012. Other companies impress me every day... Sony's reputation growing rapidly up in last 1-2 years. Panasonic same. Fujifilm... Their new X-T20 with that price force me to switch from Canon to Fuji. Not sure if I'm stupid but I'm so bored from Canon.

I heard from a little bird that Canon loaned Need For Speed 12 fully functioning C500 cameras, when shooting was done they received 12 not very well functioning C500 cameras, the pictures of the returned cameras was a sad sight, so said that little bird. Canon got it's exposure with the movie, but it cost them 12 C500 cameras, and at the time of the release of the C500 that was a lot of dollars per camera. I'm sure they were able to right it off somehow. 

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Dogtown said:

I heard from a little bird that Canon loaned Need For Speed 12 fully functioning C500 cameras, when shooting was done they received 12 not very well functioning C500 cameras, the pictures of the returned cameras was a sad sight, so said that little bird. Canon got it's exposure with the movie, but it cost them 12 C500 cameras, and at the time of the release of the C500 that was a lot of dollars per camera. I'm sure they were able to right it off somehow. 

So that's where my used one came from ;)

I love (most) Canon lenses I have had/used but just don't fully get on with Canon cameras.     I am just glad the Canon's can be adapted (and some seem to me to be better adapted than on native Canon cameras for me).

Canon is an atrocious and ridiculous company I can't respect at all. Won't explain why I think this, Andrew did it enough on this blog for the past years and its quite obvious anyway. 

unlike andrew though, I am not buying any canon gear since the Mk3 (got the 5d2 and 3) which means since 4 years. Fuck them honestly. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Canon is an atrocious and ridiculous company I can't respect at all. Won't explain why I think this, Andrew did it enough on this blog for the past years and its quite obvious anyway. 

unlike andrew though, I am not buying any canon gear since the Mk3 (got the 5d2 and 3) which means since 4 years. Fuck them honestly. 

Even you who hate them this much has at some point handed them thousands of $ though.

Canon is the one glitch in the matrix I wish they'd fucking fix.

Yeah I don't really want to see Canon , Nikon or anyone go out of business. Competition is great for all of us, and there are real people working at them that will lose their jobs.

Just listen to the people that buy your stuff that have paid thousands of dollars, not a bunch of 12 year old Japanese, giggling girls who want Pink F-ing cameras! Quit protecting your top end stuff or you WILL be making nothing, I mean nothing  but Pink cameras. :grimace:  All 250 of them!

Well I have to add this to this conversation to make it a little upbeat. Hell maybe even shot on a Canon camera.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/16/watch-this-amtrak-train-blast-passengers-with-a-wall-of-snow/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_1_na&utm_term=.87ca5b6a6e6f