Jump to content

Spammed!!!!!


Cassius McGowan
 Share

Recommended Posts

just banned another spammer - I think these might be from a bot as they are now everyday posting the same stuff ....We had this about 3 years ago a similar thing .

and 5 mins later - just banned another one ! we are under spam attack this week !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Updating is usually a good idea, these forum engines are hacked from time-to-time.
And when it comes to updating, he should also update the domain name he uses for email notifications, he uses a non-existent one, most servers won't accept the emails sent from this forum. I posted a topic about this, even sent a PM, nothing happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Phil A said:

That has nothing to do with "hacking". It's just a bot registering new users and posting rubbish. Maybe the register form needs a good captcha function or the new registrations should need manual approval by a moderator before being able to post for a while?

Yeah Phil, we're requiring approval now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Phil A said:

That has nothing to do with "hacking". It's just a bot registering new users and posting rubbish. Maybe the register form needs a good captcha function or the new registrations should need manual approval by a moderator before being able to post for a while?

Yeah, I was not talking about this specific case, but the problems with widely used forum engines in general. They are always potential targets for hackers, so it's always a good idea to stay updated. This case is most likely a bot registering users just like you said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@andy lee + @Andrew Reid

There are TWO very good possibilities to prevent this kind of spam (depending on spam prevention features of your forum CMS):

  1. Use a math application (2+2 = ?) or a Q&A (Question and Answer eg: What's the name of the manufacturer of the 5D m3? ...Canon...) for new registration and/or posting - even modern spam bots CAN NOT resolve Q&A which are regurarly changed). Consider that Captcha solutions are very week nowadays, you can buy automatic Captcha and DeCaptcha resolver/breaker for pennies....
  2. Don't allow the first post of a new user without admin release (after checking first post of a new user, this one can publish without check)

At the end of the day, it depends on the technical (spam prevention) skills of your Forum CMS. As said, a Math or Q&A AddOn would be ideal to prevent automatic spam...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 09/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Taranis said:

Updating is usually a good idea, these forum engines are hacked from time-to-time.
And when it comes to updating, he should also update the domain name he uses for email notifications, he uses a non-existent one, most servers won't accept the emails sent from this forum. I posted a topic about this, even sent a PM, nothing happened.

Nothing was hacked.

I went through the list of spambots registered since 6th March when the wave started (around 40-50 accounts were registered) and banned them all. They can't post any more content but if you receive any PMs from spambots which I obviously cannot see on my side, let me know so I can ban them as a few may still be lingering.

Forum software is already up to date.

The domain name for notifications - what are you seeing exactly? It should be andrew@eoshd.com

2 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@andy lee + @Andrew Reid

There are TWO very good possibilities to prevent this kind of spam (depending on spam prevention features of your forum CMS):

  1. Use a math application (2+2 = ?) or a Q&A (Question and Answer eg: What's the name of the manufacturer of the 5D m3? ...Canon...) for new registration and/or posting - even modern spam bots CAN NOT resolve Q&A which are regurarly changed). Consider that Captcha solutions are very week nowadays, you can buy automatic Captcha and DeCaptcha resolver/breaker for pennies....

The Q&A is already there for new user registrations.

Also Recaptcha is enabled.

The bots don't get through very often... we've only had 4 or 5 spam attacks in the last 3 years and all completely resolved after 1-2 days.

Thank you to Andy Lee and Jon for clearing up this one.

2 hours ago, Arikhan said:
  1. Don't allow the first post of a new user without admin release (after checking first post of a new user, this one can publish without check)

This used to be enabled all the time but was relaxed to lessen the burden on mods and myself for approving new content and speeding up access to forum for eager new users.

This had been disabled for almost a year without any trouble

As we are now going through a wave of spam attacks it has been enabled again.

I ALWAYS find the spam attacks coincide with me criticising another site.

Someone is definitely putting me out there as a target. I just don't know who.

2 hours ago, Arikhan said:

At the end of the day, it depends on the technical (spam prevention) skills of your Forum CMS. As said, a Math or Q&A AddOn would be ideal to prevent automatic spam...

No problem on the forum software side and it is advanced enough with spam prevention features. You won't be seeing any more this month, or the next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...