Cinema5D slates the Panasonic GH5, calls V-LOG and 10bit "unusable" - They're wrong

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

For what it's worth, yours is the only website that feels authentic.  We all know the internet is now just a brown stream of corporate content, so to have a place where things are real is welcome.  Enthusiast used to have places to go in the past untainted by monied nonsense.  

I agree, it's about the only blog I visit for DSLR video. As Andrew mentioned, pressure from PR firms is REAL, having felt it myself, so I generally don't take a lot of stock in any review site that's not particularly large (DPReview can sort of get away with it, but even then I suspect their influence is waning).

Commander Reid, following your dispatches all these years has been like visiting the front lines of the DSLR community where shooting truly magical cinematic images is within our grasp. You were the first one to show it was possible to mount vintage LOMO anamorphic lenses on a GH2 and how to hack the camera. That changed my world. I quit my day job, bought a GH2 from Andrew via Japan, and went out and made a feature film with LOMOs that is now coming out worldwide on March 20. Yep, that's a plug for the film, but it's also a testament to what Andrew has started and achieved here. You'll find him thanked in the credits. Can't wait to get my GH5 and get on with the next film.

mandorla-site-screenshot.png

What impresses me the most about EOSHD is Andrew's transparency and accountability.  The Canon XC10 and the Olympus E-M1 II are two examples where Andrew is transparent enough to change his assessment based on new information.  He tells it like it is with no obligation to pay lip service to the big corporations.  Not getting a GH5 sample to preview can be a good thing, as he is not pressured to heap praise where it is not warranted.

I think the most respectful thing here is to all admit that it's not the cameras or the gear that we come here to read about (well, not exclusively).  I sent Andrew a PM saying that I would read what he wrote regardless of the subject matter, because it's more about his perspective/honesty/wit than it is about the cameras.

So if this side of the industry is causing him to lose passion (which would never require an explanation)...then he should leave it and find where his passions have moved on to.  He could take EOSHD anywhere he wants and as long as it's in the same ballpark, most people would stick around.

7 hours ago, Jn- said:

"It could have been that they had to make a headline feature to compete but did not want to give out too good stuff."

This makes sense to me, I'm not sure what your problem is Jonapis?

I'm sure Brellvids can speak for himself, but reallly, are we to watch our capitalisations now.  I think that's taking your moderator status to extreme, maybe  pull the horns in a bit, slow down.

My problem is that the poster is accusing Panasonic of swindling the public, which is unverifiable. Same goes for those accusing Panasonic of withholding h265 out of pure greed. All these accusations are completely without any foundation. If anything, I think you should be pointing the finger at other manufacturers, not Panasonic, for not offering features like anamorphic, swiveling 1620k dot LCD, 3680k dot EVF with 0.76x magnification, wave form monitors, vector scopes, dual card slots, USB-C, Bluetooth, high bit rates, 4K 60p, etc in their consumer cameras...

Yeah that was a pretty lame article over at C5D in my opinion. Having had an opportunity to spend a little time with the GH5, it is already the most technologically complete / best camera I have ever held in my hands for the type of work that I do. I've been a pro for the past 25 years and have lived through film, Hasselblads, Nikons, Canons, DSLRs, Cinema cameras, and more. Truth is you can do far more with this camera than meets the eye, and if you can't do it on the GH5 you need a new career choice. It's quite an amazing camera, and at the $2K price point it's a no brainer. Here is a little real world test of my own for anyone interested in focusing on how cool the camera is rather than technical specs and BS. 

1 hour ago, Charles Maring said:

Yeah that was a pretty lame article over at C5D in my opinion. Having had an opportunity to spend a little time with the GH5, it is already the most technologically complete / best camera I have ever held in my hands for the type of work that I do. I've been a pro for the past 25 years and have lived through film, Hasselblads, Nikons, Canons, DSLRs, Cinema cameras, and more. Truth is you can do far more with this camera than meets the eye, and if you can't do it on the GH5 you need a new career choice. It's quite an amazing camera, and at the $2K price point it's a no brainer. Here is a little real world test of my own for anyone interested in focusing on how cool the camera is rather than technical specs and BS. 

Thanks so much for sharing this video, Charles. Also, you just might have sold me on the Leica 12mm f/1.4.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 6.57.11 AM.png

EosHD is my favourite camera blog by far, and I enjoy Andrews reviews and insights.  I like that he remains mainly focused on the smaller hybrid cameras and came back to these after a brief fling with the C300/FS5 empire, and that he gives some of the sleeper cameras some well deserved coverage like the E-M1, NX1 and Leica SL.  I agree that Panasonic should have given him a prototype to test given his history - how many GH2/3/4's have been sold because of his blog when the others can't get over the sensor size -really all of m4/3 video owes Andrew a lot for highlighting its strengths. I imagine its hard to keep a blog like this going and the passion levels must wax and wane at times, which I suspect is the reason we see a lot more 'first impressions' nowadays rather than extended reviews.  This maybe has lead to some of the negative first impressions like the XC10, E-M1ii, which to Andrews credit have been graciously corrected, but I imagine it might make a manufacturer a little anxious that their camera might get an emotive review. In any case, at least Andrews review are authentic and he has his own cash in the game.

Anyway I hope Andrew keeps it up -it would be a real loss to the filmmaking community if this blog closed it doors. Where would I go, when I am procrastinating rather than working :-) 

I couldn't say the last time I visited Cinema 5D.  EOSHD and the community here gave me the courage to finally branch out from Canon to Blackmagic and Sony.  One of the things I've always appreciated is how Andrew not only doesn't pulls any punches in his reviews, but backs up his conclusions with accurate information.  Probably why I haven't been to C5D in awhile.

critical, honest conversations are essential in any environment. Thanks for keeping it real, Andrew. I always look at your blog with interest as I think you set yourself apart with strong, honest opinions. I agree with the all pro argument. I reckon that there is some insecurity related to people that use it as a shield. I wish I did inspiring personal projects, that would make me proud of myself. One day when I will make space and time in my priorities, there will be a beautiful place for them in my life. Thanks again

Everyone has opinions and everyone has their degrees of being right and wrong. On morality, technicality, articulating things etc etc.

It's great that you can proudly say that you didn't give in to the greed of money, and that, unlike most blogs and sites that deal with independent filmmaking and gear reviews, you aren't saleable and no amount of money or fame can compromise your viewpoints.

I guess one of the reasons the whole Cinema5D article about the GH5 is blowing up into their face, is because their credibility is not even remotely acceptable right now. People have started wondering why they even review products, if they have such obvious brands they are more favourable or faithful towards. Also, if a reviewer, in general, has any level of credibility.

What everyone likes about EOSHD, is that you're incorruptible. Something your peers of the blog variety cannot claim.