GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

Is it 4k though?  I mean my BMPCC does raw to SD cards but it isn't 4k.

I'm not a BM guy, so maybe I am wrong, but the product desc. says that even the 4K video assist feeds the SD cards. Hard to say what will be Panasonics move, I guess there will be two slots for SD cards, but let's wait for the confirmation of the quality of 4K video. Andrew, what do you think, is it possible that the GH5 4K will be anything else than 10bit 4:2:2?

Just now, funkyou86 said:

I'm not a BM guy, so maybe I am wrong, but the product desc. says that even the 4K video assist feeds the SD cards. Hard to say what will be Panasonics move, I guess there will be two slots for SD cards, but let's wait for the confirmation of the quality of 4K video. Andrew, what do you think, is it possible that the GH5 4K will be anything else than 10bit 4:2:2?

There are two video assists.  I hadn't seen the 4k version.

31 minutes ago, The Chris said:

If the GH5 is as loaded as speculated, I bet its closer to $2000.

I am guessing the price would be more in the ballpark of $2500, if it has 4k 4-2-2, and 5-point IBIS (and most likely a lot more tricks up its sleeve). 

Edit: $2000 not $2500. We shouldn't give Panny any such crazy ideas ;-)

9 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'll bet its 10bit in 1080 only. Heat would be a real issue for 4K 10 bit wouldn't it?

Why would it? If you think about it, 10-bit means less compression than 8-bit, sure the bit rate is higher but I don't think there would be any overheating issue, even more if you consider that the GH4 is the coolest 4K camera out there. Processing is more important than bit rate, H.265 might be more processing intensive if they choose it, but 8-bit or 10-bit shouldn't change much.

Sony's issue is not just processing, it's the form factor. The NEX cameras overheated in 1080p! I had two of them and they both had overheating issue, the form factor is simply too small, Sony knows it, they just choose to ignore that and preserve the claim of the smallest and most compact FF cameras. Bottom line, there is nothing really that would indicate that it would be just 1080p because of overheating.

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

Panasonic is moving closer to sending Canon's 5D Cameras to the grave. 

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ... 

Do you know about photographers... aka still shooters? ?

Anyway... buzzing for the gh5.... seems absolutely perfect for my needs... bring it on.

Bravo Panasonic. i am already Using  a 0.58X BMPCC F mount Speed booster with my GH4. Now it is  With GH5,  i will have  0.58X 2 = 1.16 FF crop factor which is almost like a FF image and the 10Bit 4.2.2 is  a bonus!   Ready for preorder :) 

GH4 BMPCC speed booster.jpg

42 minutes ago, RubanCam said:

Bravo Panasonic. i am already Using  a 0.58X BMPCC F mount Speed booster with my GH4. Now it is  With GH5,  i will have  0.58X 2 = 1.16 FF crop factor which is almost like a FF image and the 10Bit 4.2.2 is  a bonus!   Ready for preorder :) 

GH4 BMPCC speed booster.jpg

wouldn't it be amazing if panasonic worked together with metabones to make a 0.55x speedbooster so that they could hit the full frame audience 

I'm glad Panasonic is taking their time with the GH5 and I'd rather pay a little bit more ($2000-$2500) to get a revolutionary camera than a simple GH4 evolution.   Also it avoids Sony jump-stepping them.  The "high assurance" rumors would make a great camera.  Icing on the video cake would be 4:4:4 / raw out, VFR out, better VFR quality, seriously improved DR.  If they don't have a pro-model anywhere near this price range there are a lot of features they could include for a great all-around camera without cannibalizing their Pro market.  Please nail this one to the wall Panny!

44 minutes ago, RubanCam said:

But does the 0.58X Speed Booster work with the 2x crop instead of 2.2x?

53 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

wouldn't it be amazing if panasonic worked together with metabones to make a 0.55x speedbooster so that they could hit the full frame audience 

i think it will be technically difficult task given the clearance between the sensor and the mount. If you go more narrower, the Speedbooster will protrude and hit the sensor.  BMPCC 0.58X barely fits and you may also get soft corners and vignetting

1 hour ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

But does the 0.58X Speed Booster work with the 2x crop instead of 2.2x?

Yes it does, I shoot pictures and occasional 1080P video.  Only issue i am having is with this setup is when a wide angle lens is used, the corners are slightly softer ( out of focus) if you focused in the middle of the frame. No issue with 35mm and up.  4K Crop on GH4 is actually 2.3 not 2.2. The plus side is 2 stops light gain, FF coverage and the FF Bokeh.

I meant to make this comment on the last news post about the GH5 but didn't get around to it...

I want to throw some water(?) on the idea that Panasonic will include the GX80/85 IBIS on the GH5. I think there's a lot of potential for disappointment if you expect this. I can't think of any camera right now with a large sensor, 4k, and IBIS that doesn't come with a recording time limit, and often with overheating issues even before reaching that time limit. The reason, from what I understand, is that as soon as you introduce IBIS you can no longer attach the sensor to a large enough heat sink because it would be too difficult (impossible?) to move the whole combination as is required with IBIS. Realize that IBIS would also limit their ability to produce high frame rates, for the same reason (sensor overheating). The GX80/85 has that great IBIS but also has a max frame rate of 60P and a max recording time of 30 minutes.

Engineering involves balancing many factors. Unless Panasonic has come up with some engineering breakthrough that would allow a combination of large sensor, 4k, IBIS, high frame rates, and no time limits (which I think is a very unlikely combination), I, for one, would choose unlimited record times over both IBIS and high frame rates. I think that unlimited recording time is one of the really special features of the GH4, and one of the main factors that would make me choose it over any of the competitors. If they do away with that, it would open up a lot of (competitor) options for me.

Oh, one more thing... I haven't yet seen any good reasons for them to change the body design from the GH3&GH4 -> GH5. Hopefully Panasonic realizes that they would do better to build on top of what they already have, rather than start from scratch and obsolete a lot of accessories.

4 minutes ago, Shenan said:

I meant to make this comment on the last news post about the GH5 but didn't get around to it...

I want to throw some water(?) on the idea that Panasonic will include the GX80/85 IBIS on the GH5. I think there's a lot of potential for disappointment if you expect this. I can't think of any camera right now with a large sensor, 4k, and IBIS that doesn't come with a recording time limit, and often with overheating issues even before reaching that time limit. The reason, from what I understand, is that as soon as you introduce IBIS you can no longer attach the sensor to a large enough heat sink because it would be too difficult (impossible?) to move the whole combination as is required with IBIS. Realize that IBIS would also limit their ability to produce high frame rates, for the same reason (sensor overheating). The GX80/85 has that great IBIS but also has a max frame rate of 60P and a max recording time of 30 minutes.

Engineering involves balancing many factors. Unless Panasonic has come up with some engineering breakthrough that would allow a combination of large sensor, 4k, IBIS, high frame rates, and no time limits (which I think is a very unlikely combination), I, for one, would choose unlimited record times over both IBIS and high frame rates. I think that unlimited recording time is one of the really special features of the GH4, and one of the main factors that would make me choose it over any of the competitors. If they do away with that, it would open up a lot of (competitor) options for me.

Oh, one more thing... I haven't yet seen any good reasons for them to change the body design from the GH3&GH4 -> GH5. Hopefully Panasonic realizes that they would do better to build on top of what they already have, rather than start from scratch and obsolete a lot of accessories.

Idk, if the GH5 doesn't have IBIS, then this thread will turn into the current 5d threads and all the detractors will appear. It HAS to have IBIS. But you may be right that it can't have it all... So most likely the unlimited time will be axed.

We need Cropmarks, badly!! Or the function to upload custom Cropmark-Images. Please anybody who visits Panasonic Reps in this time before the GH5 release, help us get rid of duct-taping our display. It's so 2008. Cropmarks, anamorphic desqueeze, punch-in focus zoom during recording, sound during 96fps. I will visit Photokina myself and try to get hold of influencing Panasonic Reps, but we need a lot of people. Been writing mails and tweets and posts for the past 2 years.

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Idk, if the GH5 doesn't have IBIS, then this thread will turn into the current 5d threads and all the detractors will appear. It HAS to have IBIS. But you may be right that it can't have it all... So most likely the unlimited time will be axed.

I don't think it would be that bad. The GH5 would still have a lot more video-friendly features and abilities than the 5D4. I hope they choose recording time and high frame rates over IBIS, but we will see. If they axe the unlimited time it gives me more options. My two top requests for cameras are: 1 - headphone jack (of course with a mic jack to go along with it), 2 - unlimited record time. Very few DSLR-type cameras have (1), and only the GH4 (as far as I recall) has (2). Those are two big factors that make it so effective, really the best stills/video hybrid ever.