5 reasons why I will be getting a Panasonic GH5

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The XC-10 305Mbit/s codec is nothing extraordinary, it's just another intra frame (ALL-I like codec), the 1Dc and 1DX mk2 have higher bit rate, although not 4:2:2 color, but the image out of them look so much better.

I can't really understand what you find appealing in XC-10? My experience with it left me with a bitter taste, the 4K image is very soft (more like 2,5K), DR is BAD, nowhere near 12 stops, the AF is slow and the combination of a small senor and fixed dark lens makes the image very uncinematic, and above all the price is unrealistic + the price of the Cfast cards is very high.

I also can't wait for the GH5. :)

28 minutes ago, Eno said:

My experience with it left me with a bitter taste, the 4K image is very soft (more like 2,5K), DR is BAD, nowhere near 12 stops, the AF is slow and the combination of a small senor and fixed dark lens makes the image very uncinematic, and above all the price is unrealistic + the price of the Cfast cards is very high.

I also can't wait for the GH5. :)

The image has no in camera sharpening - it's not soft. Also you need to keep your aperture under F8 or diffraction kicks in which softens the image on UHD. DR is as good in C-LOG as my Sony A7s + Shogun. Af is OK for what it is. It's not a cinema camera so not having a cinematic image is hardly surprising. Current prices are good for what it offers - Cfast cards are cheap if you know where to get good deals. I got a 128 gb card for £125 on Ebay last week. I wouldn't consider it as a rival to the GH5 - different kind of camera altogether.

I'd call the a7rII a "REAL" hybrid that already exists - IBIS, mic/headphone jack, great video, class leading stills/DR and something Panasonic really lacks... PADF.

It would be nice if Panasonic would dump everything into a pro oriented GH body including 10-bit internal and so on, but we've been saying that for years to no avail. Just like Sony and Canon, Panasonic wants you to buy a higher end camera.

IMO it'll get IBIS and a higher bitrate, but it'll still be the same old 8-bit 4:2:0 internal.

Panny should dump the goofy YAGH and do an external recorder with XLR inputs, they have all the tech in house and could easily build a unit that crushes Blackmagic's offerings. But again like Sony and Canon, there doesn't seem to be any interest (or High profit margins) in low volume products at consumer price points. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Panasonic team in Osaka have been very good to us over the last few years.

Now the GH5 is imminent, EOSHD takes a look at what makes the series so great and what to expect for the new model.

Read the full blog post

You forgot a very very important point: Autofocus. Panasonic really lacks a good AF and if we could have a similar AF as A6300 that would be really awesome. 
Just because of this I will hesitate between 5d4 and GH5

I'm really happy with the GX80 that I purchased over a month and a half ago. The community for this camera and the activity around have been great on EOSHD. Like all systems and cameras, they're going to have faults, but this one is great for photography and video. I'm sure the GH5 will continue the tradition.

The GH series of cameras are just fun to use.   The plucky GH2's image still excites me all these years later.  The GH4 is the camera that really made the GH a professional tool.  Panasonic listens to users and gives us cool things.  To me that deserves some loyalty.     I'm looking forward to the GH5, but I'm not convinced I'll buy it until after some reviews come in. 

I'd like to see them offer something neat like programmable rack focus.   The post focus feature they have now is halfway there, and it would be a fun feature to play with and perfect. I'd use it all the time. 

I got 2 GX85's for a specific project, so I can attest to the brand loyalty thing.  I've used Panasonic cameras for a long time and brand comfort makes the choice to buy-in to a new camera for this gig a bit easier.  Plus, the dang things are ridiculously cheap.

That said, I still think the 5-axis in the Oly EM5II is just a touch better than what Panasonic is offering; industry leading.  However, there's a caveat:  that's only when using non-OIS lenses.  If you have a Pany OIS lens paired with the Panasonic sensor stabilizer, it's really good. 

I'm also really loathe to turn away from the ergos of my EM5II.  I'm surprised that I connected so much to the EM5II, to be honest, but I do love how it just works.  If only Oly had better motion picture IQ...

I think Panasonic could do a lot of good by going down to a 8.5MP sensor.  It would improve noise performance by about 1 stop, let them do 4K without crop, more efficient 1080p, faster readout meaning less rolling shutter, better slow motion, and raw video also.  Trying to keep the megapixel high for the misguided people who get the GH as their primary photo camera, that's really putting a damper on things.  Also, 8.5MP still makes for a great photo camera and the achilles heel of the mft cameras has always been low light.  8.5MP sensor would make better photos.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DIGIKUVAUS said:

NX1 has very bad audio? Could Andrew explain this a little bit?

Yes it is the bad pre-amps, general audio quality via the ext. mic socket. The lack of XLR adapter doesn't help either and in-camera audio features are only basic. Would have liked to have seen an 'audio scene' setting like the Canon XC10, an XLR adapter like the GH4 gets via the YAGH and high quality internal circuits / pre-amps.

Real shame the NX2 won't ever arrive.

I still love my NX1, it is fantastic ergonomically and a bargain for the image it provides.