5 reasons why I will be getting a Panasonic GH5

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I think Panasonic could do a lot of good by going down to a 8.5MP sensor.  It would improve noise performance by about 1 stop, let them do 4K without crop, more efficient 1080p, faster readout meaning less rolling shutter, better slow motion, and raw video also.  Trying to keep the megapixel high for the misguided people who get the GH as their primary photo camera, that's really putting a damper on things.  Also, 8.5MP still makes for a great photo camera and the achilles heel of the mft cameras has always been low light.  8.5MP sensor would make better photos.

I totally agree with this!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, I think the other thing to add is ISO/Gain low light performance. Panasonic have a real chance to show that you don't need a full frames sensor for good low light. The Nikon D500 is a great example. Between the processors and signal to noise processing we are seeing the gap narrow between large photo sites from full frame and APC. We will see if Panasonic can deliver.  

After seeing the DPAF of the Canon 1DX Mark II in action, I find myself seriously considering switching from my beloved GH4. If Panasonic can add a similar Autofocus to the GH5, it might keep me interested. Otherwise, I think I may need to go over to the dark side Canon. Which is a shame, because I have a bunch of m4/3 lenses that I love. But for my line of work (event video) the DPAF is too hard to pass up.

An year back i choose sony rx10ii for its s-log and slowmo. But after doing 2 documentaries and a short film the lens became wobbly and s-log is pain in the ass to get right colors. Sharpness forget about it. I am eagerly waiting for 1dc mk2 or gh5. 4k60p/good low light performance/motion cadency are my priorities.  

I totaly love Sony's Slog 3 profile set on cine 4. Since I fly and travel light allot, a7s(ii) and 6300 are my favorite cams all time. I like the skintones better on the slog3 then any pp of the GH4.  

But we will see if it will be GH5 or A7s3. Time will tell.

(Terra is worth a consideration also)

I kinda like my GH3... had the choice between Alpha99 and Mark III back then.. didn´t make an upgrade to the GH4, the 4k was not necessary for me at that time and the iq didn´t seem to improve significantly... Gh5 will be another crossing, stay in m43 system or go another way.. the sensor size, with its low light flaws is a real downer but Panasonics commitment of delivering surprises is indeed loyalty worthy... though.. it will probably just be the small extra tip on the scale if two cameras/systems tie...

I hope they improve their jpg/color engine... I´d rather take a lovely out of cam picture in favour of grading every single log clip just the little bit better..

22 hours ago, RubanCam said:

Have been the GH system owner since GH2, had GH3 and Using GH4 with BMPCC speedbooster , Nikon prime  AIS lenses  plus some Leica lumix lenses and now eargarly waiting for the GH5.  Bought an A7sII  out of hype and sold it after 3 months since it did not do anything better for my shooting needs.

When the Pocket camera went on sale for $500 I bought that and then I bought the Voigtlander 17.5mm and 42.5mm f0.95 lenses and stopped using my GH2 for a few months. When I needed to shoot a concert I pulled out my GH2 (with flomotion hack) and threw on a Voigtlander lens and I was blown away. The GH2 looked amazing with those lenses and made me fall in love with the camera all over. While the Pocket is great for a lot of situations like exterior shots and RAW landscape B-Roll, the usability of that camera is garbage and now the Pocket camera just shuts off randomly. I'll put in a battery fresh off the charger and in minutes it goes to 25%, then back up to 50%. I mean I guess the issue could be the batteries, but my GH2 batteries are older and don't have these issues. 

At this point I'm considering buying a second GH2 since they are only a few hundred bucks. This way I could use both of those for interviews and the Pocket for B-Roll. 

1 hour ago, Julian Bueller said:

When the Pocket camera went on sale for $500 I bought that and then I bought the Voigtlander 17.5mm and 42.5mm f0.95 lenses and stopped using my GH2 for a few months. When I needed to shoot a concert I pulled out my GH2 (with flomotion hack) and threw on a Voigtlander lens and I was blown away. The GH2 looked amazing with those lenses and made me fall in love with the camera all over. While the Pocket is great for a lot of situations like exterior shots and RAW landscape B-Roll, the usability of that camera is garbage and now the Pocket camera just shuts off randomly. I'll put in a battery fresh off the charger and in minutes it goes to 25%, then back up to 50%. I mean I guess the issue could be the batteries, but my GH2 batteries are older and don't have these issues. 

At this point I'm considering buying a second GH2 since they are only a few hundred bucks. This way I could use both of those for interviews and the Pocket for B-Roll. 

It's definitely a battery issue. The achilles heal of the pocket camera. Along with the screen.

20 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

It's definitely a battery issue. The achilles heal of the pocket camera. Along with the screen.

And the useless metadata entry, the clock time not staying set after a week, and general lack of reliability. The raw footage does look great and the dynamic range is great, but it's a scary camera to have on set for a paid interview shoot. Just too unreliable. 

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes it is the bad pre-amps, general audio quality via the ext. mic socket. The lack of XLR adapter doesn't help either and in-camera audio features are only basic. Would have liked to have seen an 'audio scene' setting like the Canon XC10, an XLR adapter like the GH4 gets via the YAGH and high quality internal circuits / pre-amps.

Real shame the NX2 won't ever arrive.

I still love my NX1, it is fantastic ergonomically and a bargain for the image it provides.

Isn't this the case with any hybrid cam that has 1/8 inputs? I use a DR60D for interviews and dialogue, and I run the camera out (1/8th) to the NX1's mic in and make sure the gain is correct at each stage. If I have time to tweak the levels (mic level, camera out level, NX1 mic level), I don't have to synch - the NX1 is capable of really nice, crisp audio with low noise - if it's fed a well preamped signal. I found this to be the case with my Nikon bodies as well.

For decent hybrid-cam audio, you really need a preamp to feed the camera line-level - but with 60D's being so cheap, might as well use that - you get (usually) useable camera tracks, and all the Tascam bells & whistles (mainly those minus 6 DB safety tracks, phantom powered XLRs, etc) Price wise it's like a very good preamp with a free recorder.

5 hours ago, Julian Bueller said:

And the useless metadata entry, the clock time not staying set after a week, and general lack of reliability. The raw footage does look great and the dynamic range is great, but it's a scary camera to have on set for a paid interview shoot. Just too unreliable. 

It's really meant to be used with an external battery. That's mainly how I use mine, and have had zero issues. I wouldn't rely on internal power for a long interview. Battery life is poor without an external solution, but no reliability problems. Are you using cheap Chinese batteries? 

Not sure how the metadata screen hurts reliability. Just don't use it if you don't like it. And my clock time has never shifted. Not sure what it'd hurt if it did. 

I hear all those Pocket gripes and I've experienced all of them, but I have a GH4, Pocket and Micro and the GH4 sits on the shelf. The image on those little cams is so much better IMO. If I need the extra slow mo I'd use it or borrow the FS7 from work, but when I look back at a whole summer of footage from last year the GH4 shots mixed with the Pocket the GH4 shots stand out and not in a good way. I guess if I didn't shoot with both maybe I wouldn't have a problem with it. And it definitely is the batteries on the Pocket. Like Renaissance Man, sounds like Wasabi Power or other cheap batteries. All my cheapie give me issues. Even are hard to get out of the battery compartment.

I have shot live stuff with the pocket & this type of bashing is absolute Bullshit.

The screen isn't that bad & you switch out the battery when you change the SD card - how fucking difficult is that! These are all minor things, especially when you consider the image from the pocket shits all over most other cameras in its price range.

I really wish people would stop spreading this kind of stuff - the Pocket isn't a PINA to use, it's an absolute joy. I point, I shoot & I get the shot - hardly any post needed, because the image captured is exactly what I want.

3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I have shot live stuff with the pocket & this type of bashing is absolute Bullshit.

The screen isn't that bad & you switch out the battery when you change the SD card - how fucking difficult is that! These are all minor things, especially when you consider the image from the pocket shits all over most other cameras in its price range.

I really wish people would stop spreading this kind of stuff - the Pocket isn't a PINA to use, it's an absolute joy. I point, I shoot & I get the shot - hardly any post needed, because the image captured is exactly what I want.

At least it keeps the prices down :) .

There are various incarnations of this, and how to achieve, on this forum, but I agree completely with those that argue that Panasonic has got to increase the visual quality in terms of noise/low light performance very significantly.  I have a GH2 (I still love) and GH3 (an extreme disappointment) and various lenses and support gear, so I would prefer to stay with them.  The weak point of the 4/3s system has always been noise at higher ISO ratings and they must improve this a lot or they'll loose.  If they go for the more easily achieved increase in resolution (6K or 8K and absolutely moronic in my book) over better image quality in low light then I'm dropping them forever.