Canon XC10 versus Sony RX10 III. The Canon is underrated!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No comparison images or videos?   I always knew the canon was better because of the image it put out not its specs.  The only thing that sours me to it is the lack of super wide angle option.  If you need another camera to do that then theres no reason to use that camera to do what the XC10 does as well.

Keep in mind that these are supposed to by hybrids, not pure camcorders. The XC10 is a piece of crap for stills. If you were to go out and have the option of carrying one camera for all of your imaging, the RX10III does it all, whereas with the XC10 you would need at least another camera.

That was always the big problem with the XC10. The image quality was ok in terms of color, and fine for HD, but resolution not so much when you were looking at 4K. The stills capability is a sad joke. You also require relatively expensive media to access the advanced end of the video spectrum, and, with all due respect to Andrew, having a giant loupe attached to the thing is awkward.

If you want a one stop shop and you are traveling/hiking/generally mobile, the RX10III is the better camera.

got the rx10 ii but I doubt the xc10 is the big jump in quality people are looking for. No big jump in quality but a big jump in price in comparison to similar options. A friend of mine is gonna pick one up so i'll wait to see what he can do with it ! The Canon colors are incredible but I am kinda upset it isn't constant aperture

Hey Andrew,

great review but I would like to correct something...

you wrote "In full HD you get proper tracking and object detection plus touch-screen AF. All this gets disabled in 4K and sometimes the camera will put the background in focus and not the intended subject. It can be hard to coax it in 4K without the touch AF."

this is not true. The touch AF works in 4k. It is disabled only if you enable the rolling shutter reduction mode. If you disable the rs reduction it works perfect.

Thanks again for the review.

32 minutes ago, Franz Schuier said:

I used the xc10 for half a year on a lot of jobs. Daylight or sufficient indoor light its great, but with less than a lot light it felt like a ENG cam.
Still a very good cam for some jobs, think documentary/TV run and gun over daytime, have a light with you if there is just the slightest chance of
having to film in dim light (happend to me when we entered a barn with no light on a shoot)

In hd maybe but there is no noise up to 5000iso in 4k.

Not bad...

3 hours ago, tugela said:

Keep in mind that these are supposed to by hybrids, not pure camcorders. The XC10 is a piece of crap for stills. If you were to go out and have the option of carrying one camera for all of your imaging, the RX10III does it all, whereas with the XC10 you would need at least another camera.

That was always the big problem with the XC10. The image quality was ok in terms of color, and fine for HD, but resolution not so much when you were looking at 4K. The stills capability is a sad joke. You also require relatively expensive media to access the advanced end of the video spectrum, and, with all due respect to Andrew, having a giant loupe attached to the thing is awkward.

If you want a one stop shop and you are traveling/hiking/generally mobile, the RX10III is the better camera.

I am still looking to find out what is going on with the resolution in 4k. I think there is a loss in resolution in c-log that dose not exist in standard profile.

But you are wrong about the mobile run and gun shooter. xc10 is far superior because it has very good, actually excellent image stabilization for video. This is one of the big thinks in xc10 and it is surprisingly good.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

When will we accept this reality that with hybrids you have to compromise many things for the sake of not carrying another cam? I don't understand all this obsession with "convenience"!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not this conversation again. C-log disables all and ANY kind of in-camera sharpening even the one that happens beforr the debayer stage. The XC10 4K C-LOG is SOFT, lacks sharpness, it doesn't lack RESOLUTION. While the Sonys and nx1 and such add a ton of in-camera sharpening that cannpt be turned off, hence why some are saying until now everywhere the xc10 is below 4k nd soft, while it actually resolves 3100 TV lines horizontally and 1700 lines vertically, hitting the limit of UHD resolution from a bayer-pattern camera. 

if you own the xc10 and find it soft, switch to Standard picture profile and it turns into a sony/samsung clarity/sharpness wise, try it. Or of course better yet use post sharpening to the c-log 305mbps 422 footage.

• Administrators

Sharpness: digitally applied

Resolution: number of megapixels on the sensor

Final image: a combination of sensor readout, image processing, compression, noise and all sorts of things - and yes digital sharpening in-camera or in-post

People need to start noticing when an image has been sharpened so they don't mistake this for better resolution.

Because it is preferable NOT to have it done in-camera.

I have the RX10ii and it's terrible as a videocamera. I always wondered why people raved about it so much compared to the XC10 which seemed to give better colors, image and usefulness.

My RX10ii already has the zoom rocker a bit loose and the whole thing is a joyless drab. I was persuated by it instead of the XC10 because of the "stills capability" but I in reality, I have not shot almost any stills with it and just pick up the 5d for those occasions.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

When will we accept this reality that with hybrids you have to compromise many things for the sake of not carrying another cam? I don't understand all this obsession with "convenience"!

It allows you to get a shot you wouldn't otherwise get, at a speed you wouldn't otherwise be able to operate at.

In certain types of filmmaking (documentary, run & gun, mood pieces, street scenes, real life scenes) that is invaluable.

I'm not saying you should stop carrying other cameras and just get one, either.

I wouldn't replace my GX80 with the XC10 and lose the use of interchangeable lenses, etc.

However the XC10 hardly compromises on the image at 305Mbit 4:2:2 vs 100Mbit 4:2:0 or the dynamic range (Canon LOG vs no LOG)

I was experimenting with an RX10ii in a local store here for a couple of hours, and after using Sony A5100 with its brilliant touch-screen, smooth and accurate/snappy PDAF video touch-to-snap-focus, excellent low-light (APS-C), I found the RX10ii even with its 4K, ND filter pathetic. I guess I'd love the XC10 but buying a 1" video camera for $2000 without dual-pixels or PDAF touch-to-focus, no ND filter, no XLR. No way I'd buy a camera with CFast2 just to be able to shoot 4K. I love that eventually JVC/Sony/Panasonic stopped pushing proprietary memory card formats. GX80 with its touch screen, larger than 1" sensor, interchangeable lens, 4K, IBIS in video, hmm, definitely, interesting. I wonder when, if ever, Sony is coming out with the 4K version of its touch-screen operable A5100.  

5 hours ago, Michal Gajdoš said:

But the price of 2000 USD ! add another 500 and you have a7sii, or two a6300 / gh4.

Exactly, no XLR, no ND filter in XC10, and just add the hilarious prices of CFast2 cards just to be able to record 4K. Even the "consumer" Sony A6300 can get an XLR module. In a couple of months, hundreds of affordable cameras will shoot excellent 4K videos on regular SD cards. I have a decent 1" camera Nikon J5, but definitely, I wouldn't buy any camera with only 1" again, since their low light capability is way inferior to what we can have today from affordable APS-C cameras. To me 1" is dead end.

21 minutes ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

Exactly, no XLR, no ND filter in XC10, and just add the hilarious prices of CFast2 cards just to be able to record 4K. Even the "consumer" Sony A6300 can get an XLR module. In a couple of months, hundreds of affordable cameras will shoot excellent 4K videos on regular SD cards. I have a decent 1" camera Nikon J5...

Wow wait a second. You are criticising cameras for not having XLR's or ND filters but you are yourself shooting with a Nikon J5 out of all things?!