An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

What does this mean: "I am not willing to switch to sth like the A6500 because I went the Sony route twice only to return back to Panasonic." What exactly were you dissatisfied with? The A6500 actually puts out different colors than all previous models. It is compact, mic in, IBIS - has what you need and the best resolution 4K (you can really see the difference).

Well, take the dimmed screen when recording 4k for example. 90% of my footage is outdoor and I dont want deal with barely readable screens nor with overheating issues nor with not having AF-S in video mode etc pp.. Three times I was nearly pulling the trigger on the A6500 before I got doubts on second thought.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is a third option if all you want to have is your GX80 to have a mic input for a small shotgun mic and that's to get a Tascam DR10SG integrated shotgun mic and recorder.

If you want to use other sources like lav mics then its obviously not going to do the job for you (although they do a version that is exactly that as well) but if you are just looking to get a G85 or Ninja Star to record a small Rode shotgun with or some such then this is a much cheaper solution (about £130). As it automatically records two streams at different levels, it will also be a bit easier to use if you are running about solo grabbing shots on the GX80. Quality wise its much of a muchness with the cheaper Rode ones IMO.

It can be used without the additional mount arm if you want to keep it lower profile by the way.

Looks nice, but as Anaconda stated:

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

The problem I have with recording using that Tascam thing, or a Zoom or anything else like it. You have to press record twice. Chances are, you'll (or at least I would) just leave the audio running, which could be a hassle to sync.

this. I already have a superb external recorder (Sony PCM-M10) which i rarely use, because I am a one man show...

I think that going down the G85 route might be my best bet.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The solution to that problem for Panasonic cameras is that the Tascam mic has a slate tone it outputs when you press record on it which can be used to automatically put the camera into record.

I just haven't released it yet ..... ;)

Damn man, you're really going for it with these cams.

I don't own the Tascam mic, but how can you ensure that another sound, say someone clapping, wont stop the camera from recording? Also, I know it depends on your usage, but wouldn't you say the DR10X is a better option? That way you could get a wired lav and still have the recorder on camera for the slate tone or plug in a shotgun for camera mounted audio. It just seems more versatile to me, so wondering why you'd go with the DR10SG.

• Super Members
48 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Damn man, you're really going for it with these cams.

I don't own the Tascam mic, but how can you ensure that another sound, say someone clapping, wont stop the camera from recording? Also, I know it depends on your usage, but wouldn't you say the DR10X is a better option? That way you could get a wired lav and still have the recorder on camera for the slate tone or plug in a shotgun for camera mounted audio. It just seems more versatile to me, so wondering why you'd go with the DR10SG.

The slate tone can be set to high and its duration is around one second so a combination of measurement and timer will stop transient sounds from tripping it.

Probably ;)

The DR10X doesn't have the slate function unfortunately . The recommendation of the 10SG was also for ease of use of it being a self contained unit if someone doesn't already have a shotgun microphone and/or to reduce complexity of setup with cables etc. for things like GX80 to keep it stripped down.

GX85 wedding (with EOSHD Canon colour LUT)

Although I now have a GH5 and only use the GX85 as a B cam at weddings here is an example of a wedding shot entirely with a GX85. It's a remarkable camera with the worst sound ever! I used the EOSHD Canon LUT at 50-70%. It works well enough but I don't like the hassle of using LUTs on these type of videos.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Why on earth does everyone keep limiting their products. Lunatics.

So that peeps like BTM-Pix can find workarounds.

56 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Although I now have a GH5 and only use the GX85 as a B cam at weddings here is an example of a wedding shot entirely with a GX85. It's a remarkable camera with the worst sound ever! I used the EOSHD Canon LUT at 50-70%. It works well enough but I don't like the hassle of using LUTs on these type of videos.

Looks like it was worth the hassle - great job! You could teach other wedding photographers a thing or two, like how not to blow out every shot.

1 hour ago, Beltranmrn said:

Hi! I am a newbie in this forum and just wanted to show the two audio Setups that i am using with this camera. Maybe they are not the best but they work for me.

Thanks!
"video"

Again with the mic placement. Closest mic sounding best on my crappy work headset... It would be nice if the Panasonic add-on sound module for GH5 worked on all prosumer Panasonic cameras.

On 14.7.2017 at 1:09 PM, Thpriest said:

Exellent work! Color is exellent! What profile and settings did you shoot? cheers, Marty

On 7/13/2017 at 11:23 AM, jase said:

Ok guys, I need you guys to help me with a decision:

I am desperately in need for a Mic-in. I am not willing to switch to sth like the A6500 because I went the Sony route twice only to return back to Panasonic (although the form factor is appealing...). I am also not in the market for the GH5.

Leaves me at two options:

1. Go for the G85 as an addition to my GX80 (I wont sell it, because size does matter to me).

2. Go for the Atomos Ninja Star to combine with my GX80.

Advantages for 1: still being able to record in 4k, no clumsyness, no HDMI cable, weather-sealing.

Advantages for 2: ProRes recording could yield better quality, I dont need to own a second cam and can totally decide whether it is worth it to bring the Ninja Star for a certain job or not, (might be a) cheaper solution,

Although I love 4k, when watching it in comparison with 1080p on a 65" TV, I didnt see a mind-blowing difference (of course this differs for everyone!) - so 4k isnt a must for me, for now. Also, as long as the ETC mode with 4k wont trickle down to something like G85 mk.II, I would prefer to wait. On the other hand, a used G85 can now be had with some luck for 500 euro in Germany. An Atomos can be had for arround 270 + CFast.. mh, tough decision.

My real concern with the Ninja star is that my GX80 will look like a spaghetti monster, when the star is attached next to an external mic with HDMI + Mic cable :(

Any thoughts?

It seems the G85 makes the most economical sense, but if that isn't necessarily an issue, have you considered the Olympus E-M1 Mark ii? The price is starting to drop on them and they seem to have better IBIS than Panasonic's variant. It does Cinema 4K at a higher bitrate than any of the current Panasonic's as well. You can use your current lenses and I feel Olympus has a better out the box color science than Panasonic. It also has a high bitrate, all-i 1080p if that is appealing to you. If you don't need the 4K, the em5 Mark ii is a nice choice as well.

However I will add that although the a6500 does have its issues, the 4K really is pretty remarkable... but I understand why you wouldn't want one... the same reasons I returned mine. 

17 minutes ago, mercer said:

It seems the G85 makes the most economical sense, but if that isn't necessarily an issue, have you considered the Olympus E-M1 Mark ii? The price is starting to drop on them and they seem to have better IBIS than Panasonic's variant. It does Cinema 4K at a higher bitrate than any of the current Panasonic's as well. You can use your current lenses and I feel Olympus has a better out the box color science than Panasonic. It also has a high bitrate, all-i 1080p if that is appealing to you. If you don't need the 4K, the em5 Mark ii is a nice choice as well.

However I will add that although the a6500 does have its issues, the 4K really is pretty remarkable... but I understand why you wouldn't want one... the same reasons I returned mine. 

The oly is an interesting idea, because in essence the size of the body is the same as the G85, which suprised me. Honestly, I dont think I need an even better IBIS than the Panasonic one for my purpose, so I am not really seeing the additional benefit of the Olympus to justify the higher price. Maybe I need to re-read Andrews review.

22 minutes ago, jase said:

The oly is an interesting idea, because in essence the size of the body is the same as the G85, which suprised me. Honestly, I dont think I need an even better IBIS than the Panasonic one for my purpose, so I am not really seeing the additional benefit of the Olympus to justify the higher price. Maybe I need to re-read Andrews review.

I thought the same thing after using the GX85 and before using the em5 Mark ii. But it different level better and the EM1 Mark ii is supposed to be even better than the em5 Mark ii. I have heard of people walking around with it like a steadicam.

But yeah, even with the prices coming down, there is a significant jump in price but there are also more features you would get with the jump other than better IBIS, headphone input, higher bitrate, etc... Either way, good luck with your choice. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I thought the same thing after using the GX85 and before using the em5 Mark ii. But it different level better and the EM1 Mark ii is supposed to be even better than the em5 Mark ii. I have heard of people walking around with it like a steadicam.

But yeah, even with the prices coming down, there is a significant jump in price but there are also more features you would get with the jump other than better IBIS, headphone input, higher bitrate, etc... Either way, good luck with your choice. 

is the image quality better than the g85 ?

30 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

is the image quality better than the g85 ?

I've never used the e-m1mk2 but I have enjoyed the videos I have seen from it more than I enjoy most of the GH5 videos. The Olympus records DCI 4K at a higher bitrate than the G85, plus you can shoot 4K Raw video at 60fps with short bursts... that's a pretty cool feature albeit maybe not all that practical...

To add, I think the colors are better with a more organic look. But I guess that is subjective as anything else.

• Super Members

I was watching that test trying to think of a scenario where you would have to track focus of someone walking to camera, disappearing off the bottom of the frame quickly, reappearing just as quickly from the bottom of the frame and then turning and walking away.

I am now convinced beyond any doubt that the Sony A6500 would be my go to camera to shoot weightlifting.