An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

Probably a very stupid question, but will ask anyway:

This weekend, I am forced to shoot in lowlight with the samyang f3.5 fisheye. Will I get lower noise if I film in 4k and downscale later on to 1080p, or should I go directly for 1080p (same fps)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, jase said:

This weekend, I am forced to shoot in lowlight with the samyang f3.5 fisheye. Will I get lower noise if I film in 4k and downscale later on to 1080p, or should I go directly for 1080p (same fps)?

Hallo Jase, I would go for the 4K. It crops a little bit off of that fishey effect too:)

The downscaled 4K is a  much better image than the internal 1080p, which is not close to the very nice HD quality in the GHs, G6 and G7 cameras.

So overall image should be better.

Why don´t you do a quick test in the basement? Shouldnt take more than 15mins. I don´t mean to be a smartass, but that would give

you 1st hand info, as lowlight with a 3.5 lens might deserve a special test due to the various variables it accounts to.

19 minutes ago, jase said:

If you plan to de-noise in post production, 4k would definitively be advantageous. 

19 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Why don´t you do a quick test in the basement? Shouldnt take more than 15mins. I don´t mean to be a smartass, but that would give

you 1st hand info, as lowlight with a 3.5 lens might deserve a special test due to the various variables it accounts to.

Thanks Panny, for sure I will make those tests, but the Fisheye has yet to arrive. Would have loved to get the Laowa instead, but this is just a single project and I wanted to keep the costs down. But you know what? As soon as it is here, I will make that test and share the results with you guys, so we all benefit.

18 minutes ago, Phil A said:

If you plan to de-noise in post production, 4k would definitively be advantageous. 

Perfect, ty!

43 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

incredible ! There is a nice soft filmic rendering to these c mount lenses that has me curious about them. These panasonic bodies has a unique quality to em @PannySVHS

Totally. It´s a certain shooting style these cmounts go along well with. A nice 25mm cmount lens seems to be a must for any m43 lens lover.

The artist of this piece has also really nailed it shooting wise.

A quick question. I use the gx85 as a static b cam. If there is constant lighting I leave it in M and choose my correct exposure. Sometimes the lighting is variable ( outside) so I leave ot on A with the aperture i need to maintain focus. The thing is I find it over exposes a bit. I like to underexpose 1/3. Is there a way that I can get the camera to always underexpose a bit?

4 hours ago, Thpriest said:

A quick question. I use the gx85 as a static b cam. If there is constant lighting I leave it in M and choose my correct exposure. Sometimes the lighting is variable ( outside) so I leave ot on A with the aperture i need to maintain focus. The thing is I find it over exposes a bit. I like to underexpose 1/3. Is there a way that I can get the camera to always underexpose a bit?

Yeah, use shutter priority at 1/50th and then adjust your exposure compensation down a notch or two.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, use shutter priority at 1/50th and then adjust your exposure compensation down a notch or two.

Let me see if I can understand - shutter priority is better than A because if shutter speed changes relative to frame work then motion will become staccato (too fast a shutter speed) or unreal and dreamlike (too slow)? Which is generally more noticeable than a change in dof?

..What if you use manual and exposure compensation, but set the camera to auto ISO?

10 minutes ago, meanwhile said:

Let me see if I can understand - shutter priority is better than A because if shutter speed changes relative to frame work then motion will become staccato (too fast a shutter speed) or unreal and dreamlike (too slow)? Which is generally more noticeable than a change in dof?

..What if you use manual and exposure compensation, but set the camera to auto ISO?

Yeah, exactly. I don't know if you can use auto ISO in video mode with the GX80, but if you can, then yes if you want to shoot semi auto. 

The a6500 has a cool feature that you can use auto ISO and then set a minimum and maximum ISO, but the cool part is... when in this mode you can use exposure compensation in manual mode and it will ride the ISO. With sLog it's important to stay about +1.7 stops because of noise issues. There are a lot of little tricks around for most cameras. 

9 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Ok. How do I adjust the exposure compensation? I've looked in the menus and I'm lost!

I don't own the GX85, but on the G85, you can go into the custom menu (or hit Display button), select Fn, then assign EC to any one of the function buttons. 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm amazed by this little camera - just loving the colour straight out with a tweak here and there. Just adapted by Minolta MC lenses via A Zhongyi Turbo 11 - such stunning render. But a quick question - are there Zebras in the camera or just the histogram ? FYI - what is impressing is that when i do clip the highlights - it doesnt go that shitty yellow colour which I hate.

16 minutes ago, Dick Sweeney said:

I'm amazed by this little camera - just loving the colour straight out with a tweak here and there. Just adapted by Minolta MC lenses via A Zhongyi Turbo 11 - such stunning render. But a quick question - are there Zebras in the camera or just the histogram ? FYI - what is impressing is that when i do clip the highlights - it doesnt go that shitty yellow colour which I hate.

There are zebras. You can assign values to Zebras 1 and Zebras 2 in the custom menu, as well as assign them to a Fn button.

Thanks Jonpais ! Just getting my head around the menu etc And discovered as if by magic the zebras - never even see them in the system before.................. I just did a little test and it seems that at 100% it holds well. My settings at Natural -3 -5 -5 -2 - with a lift of the shadows on the curve. And then if need I drop the shadows down in post a little. Although I dont mind with a recent test a bit of milkiness in the shadows.