Is the era of Vimeo ending?

Ed_David

Vimeo and YT should delete videos after 2 years if not viewed more than 1000 times (on free account), freeing up space to store higher quality uploads and widening their bandwidth streaming pipe. After 2 years, videos can only be accessed via dedicated server access in libraries...so only visiting a library will ensure you can view that 3 year old cat video that never went viral. Might make people visit libraries again? 

Hell, I'd even be open to the idea of a Vimeo hipster coffee shop/ library that stored offline content to be surfed and downloaded whilst chomping on an egg panini. The YouTube library cafe would be a little more rough, 13 year old's giving scathing comments behind your back after throwing hot coffee in your face.

Libraries could also be a vendor of stock footage relevant to the local area. keeping historically significant video material catalogued and indexed on their own system....you know, like they used to do with news papers.

Will it happen?...no.

An elitist idea?...yes.

Would it create a smaller mountain of crap to be stored online/ allow higher quality streams of new material/ make searching 'offline' content more fun ?...maybe.   

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

In terms of the hosting alone Vimeo is a good deal and is ad free unlike YouTube.

17 hours ago, chauncy said:

I hate youtube because of the ads.

If you don't monetize your youtube uploads, ZERO ads will be served on your video.

(Using an audio track you don't have the rights to is another story.)

The downside to YouTube is its terrible encoding. Any motion, any noise, any fine detail = macroblocking. VP9 is such a welcomed update, bit it's only marginally better than the old H264 files.

Vimeo still trumps YouTube for quality & there don't seem to be any other realistic options at the moment.

So i'm going to stop worrying about their new auto select function, since every viewer has the option to choose the quality of playback if they want to.

I've got until September to decide whether or not to renew.

Perhaps if you leave some constructive feedback, things might get better - since telling them you don't want this function isn't going to work. Work with them to make it better seems the only solution.

11 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

Vimeo and YT should delete videos after 2 years if not viewed more than 1000 times (on free account), freeing up space to store higher quality uploads and widening their bandwidth streaming pipe. After 2 years, videos can only be accessed via dedicated server access in libraries...so only visiting a library will ensure you can view that 3 year old cat video that never went viral. Might make people visit libraries again? 

Nice to read different ideas every once in a while! But I must confess most of my treasure findings in YouTube are not viral and probably don't have 1000 views, so I would have find less treasures... The idea of providing everything on libraries is great though!

YouTube's business model the work of genius.  YouTube, advertisers, content creators all benefit with money going into their pockets.

Vimeo's business model seems like a business model of year 2000 where people are still trying to figure out how to make money online.  Trying to make money by selling premium hosting to often struggling artists when there is a great free solution out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Vimeo seems to be run by disorganised hippies.

I hope they listen to content creators who want viewing quality at a premium and work out a workable model to continue a platform that is not as cluttered and commercial as YouTube. But I fear since every man and his dog now wants to stream 4-8K and UHD content, the costs that are involved are forcing a considerable squeeze on Vimeo's revenue.

I often encountered buffering issues in the past when streaming 1080p content on Vimeo (over average internet connection)...but I've simply paused and waited it to fill to resume. I don't think the YT crowd would accept that as much, and it seems that Vimeo see the future as a rival to them...rather than focus on their main appeal to creatives - a quality, uncluttered platform without obnoxious ads all over the place. 

Vimeo was like Betamax, a far superior viewing experience...but is losing out to VHS (YT) because it's cheaper/ better resourced/ better promoted by its owner (Google) and more recognisable to the dumb masses. Unfortunatly the quality squeeze that is apparent with Vimeo will only get worse, unless they radically rework their income methods or get bought out and made into a paid subscription service for one of the big boy streaming services.

I used to send clients private Vimeo links, now I use frame.io - as it is a very slick method to communicate and share a workspace for creative projects. Highly recommend this to those who often send clients WIP's or viewing copies for sign off of feedback rounds: https://frame.io/

5 hours ago, squig said:

And the backpedalling begins https://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:280882

nice!

vimeo wrote:

Default to HD

While the original “Default to HD” setting is no longer an option, we’ve introduced a new way for Plus and PRO creators to maintain some control over the quality of their videos.
Plus and PRO members can now choose the default quality of their embedded videos. To do so, you must append a query parameter (quality) to the end of the embed code’s player URL.

anybody tried this to see how it works?

• 1 year later...

To dig out this old thread...

A few days ago, Vimeo announced that the total storage limit for free accounts will shrink from 25GB to 5GB. That's quite a drastic step - and suggests that Vimeo is in financial trouble. Through decreasing the limit, Vimeo will simultaneously cut its operating costs (since it runs on Amazon's AWS rental cloud) and increase revenue through members upgrading to paid membership plans. It means that Vimeo no longer sees potential in growing its total user base, but in higher revenue from its existing user base, even with the risk of shrinkage (since many people are likely to stop using the site because they're already past the 5GB limit and unwilling to switch to paid subscription).

So I wonder whether it's time to think up a plan b for one' s videos if Vimeo should go under (not now, but perhaps sooner than we think)...

27 minutes ago, cantsin said:

To dig out this old thread...

A few days ago, Vimeo announced that the total storage limit for free accounts will shrink from 25GB to 5GB. That's quite a drastic step - and suggests that Vimeo is in financial trouble. Through decreasing the limit, Vimeo will simultaneously cut its operating costs (since it runs on Amazon's AWS rental cloud) and increase revenue through members upgrading to paid membership plans. It means that Vimeo no longer sees potential in growing its total user base, but in higher revenue from its existing user base, even with the risk of shrinkage (since many people are likely to stop using the site because they're already past the 5GB limit and unwilling to switch to paid subscription).

So I wonder whether it's time to think up a plan b for one' s videos if Vimeo should go under (not now, but perhaps sooner than we think)...

Yeah I noticed this as well, sucks for us free users. And I hate youtubes compression. I wish there was a third option with Vimeo's compression and youtubes upload policies. Am I willing to pay each month to keep my video's online, I am not sure. I mean diskdrives prices have kept dropping. I was always expecting for vimeo to expand their 500mb to 2GB video files or something. Didnt see this one coming. 

I post my video on Vimeo and Youtube (sometime FB too) and I really like Vimeo. This platform has not become an random mess like youtube filled with cat video, V-logger and other clickbait crap. The interface nice and clean without ads pollution. At $59/year for the PLUS membership, I don't find this crazy.

YouTube is a great asset for distributing videos.

In terms of distributing *our* videos on YouTube there are no ads, annoying or otherwise,  if one does not monetize. None. Works just like Vimeo: click on play and it plays, and you can select the resolution.

More importantly, YouTube supports HDR video. And support means both that it will automatically play HDR videos in HDR on HDR-enabled viewers (HDR phone, TV's) but it will also create a very good SDR version of the uploaded HDR video that will play on all other viewers. 

YouTube also supports 5.7K and higher resolutions, and 4K60P. It supports 360 video. It supports 3D video. It has supported more video variants than Vimeo, which is always lagging behind.

All of this at no cost to the viewer or uploader.

The only remaining advantage for Video is that viewers can download the original uploaded video or different resolution variants of it.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not sure why I even bother wasting with a Vimeo paid account, shouldn't renew it. 

Because you don't want advertising splashed all over your videos.

That's one reason why I think Vimeo is still important

They need to get several big problems sorted out though - the dropping interest, the dreadful buffering problems and slow performance, and the lack of innovative new features being rolled out.