The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

3 hours ago, LPG said:

Yes, this is a beautiful camera indeed. A friend of mine has the T1. I like everything about Fuji, except that their lenses are big and expensive... Will wait for the GH5 because of the whole ecosystem. For studio work this is no problem, but I do not go back to bulky systems when outdoors.

Fuji's lenses are larger than m43 because they're covering a larger sensor, but certainly not expensive, the 16/1.4 is cheaper than the Panasonic 12/1.4, and the 56/1.2 is cheaper than the 42.5/1.2 and so on. Fuji has a few excellent pancakes and the 35/2 as well. The upcoming 23/2 will be another gem. Fuji holds regular sales which helps to keep used prices down.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Eno said:

Thanks for posting the video shot with XT2. I'm absolutely intrigued by it and if GH5 won't be something exceptional I'm seriously consider the switch to Fuji.

As I see it now, XT2 is what I always wanted: an APSC sensor camera with beautiful 4K video from resizing (no crop, no line skipping etc), great colors, low noise, no overheating (with optional grip) a nice design without ergonomic problems, very good photo quality, good AF and a very good lens collection!

Did you hear about Samsung nx1, didn't you? ;-) It's been there for almost 2 years, now...

4 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

Am I the only one who finds the motion in several of those videos to look really strange? Especially in the Beautiful Riot and Akiyama-go - videos.

Most of the motion is overtly fluid, like it's shot in 60i or very low shutter speeds. Or forced in post from PAL to NTSC. Very unpleasant look imho.

If it has the same sensor as the Sony A6300, it should have similar rolling shutter. Maybe the algorith tries to compensate for that, jumping between faster shutter speed and doing the opposite effect of Twixtor, and thereby having a mini circus in the camera.

Very amusing. Also, the battery grip has 2 power options, the higher one being able to use higher volt or something for 4k, as well as have a higher burst rate (or just longer battery life, which I doubt). Adding a headphone socket still doesn't justify the much higher battery cost. 

Very nice looking camera.  Have it on pre-order already but I'm mainly looking at it, for the stills, however I'm VERY curious on it's video capabilities, as I've been looking to replace my Canon 5D Mark III for video work.  

But I too have noticed some weird motion rendering in the example videos from the X-T2, footage I've seen so far.  I've noticed this on the Sony a6300 in some footage as well.  It's almost like the shutter speed is higher then 50 for 24p footage making it not so filmic and blur.  The black and white stuff however looks really class!

Either way I'm getting it, as I have the X-T1 and love it, but feel like this X-T2 answers any gripes I have with the X-T1.  Can't wait to try it out.

After watching a bunch of the promo videos on my 4k monitor, I'm impressed by what I'm seeing so far. As Andrew mentioned, its some seriously sharp/detailed video. There are a few standout features IMO:

• Dual UHS-II card slots, Sony can't even give us one, on any f-ing camera, love the A7rII, but the write speeds can be annoying
  • Three total batteries with the grip, nice - and a new battery to boot (though Fuji OEM batteries are tough to find when released)
  • Joystick means no dance to move AF point, leaving 8 custom function buttons including mic volume, though no headphone volume
  • Flog (love that name, now we can talk about flogging our videos)
  • Clean out for external recording
  • 1080p is oversampled so it should be a great HD camera (unlike the a6300)
  • Fuji colors

A few weak points for me:

• The rear LCD, lower resolution (WTF?) than Xpro2 (1.04m dots vs 1.62m on Xpro2) and no touchscreen, the better LCD would be welcome punching in to focus 4k
  • Video recording needs to be selected on the control dial, so you can't just hit record while shooting stills (not sure if you can shoot stills in video mode)
  • Face tracking still doesn't look as good as the A7rII or a6300
  • No 120p, though it sounds like its possible, so *maybe* via a FW update
  • Slight crop in 4k (would have preferred no crop in 24p if possible like the a6300)

Despite some early shortcomings, I'm ordering one with the 18-55 to compare to the A7rII. Sometimes its nice to shoot images without spending time in post, and Fuji's JPEG's are among the best.

2 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Did you hear about Samsung nx1, didn't you? ;-) It's been there for almost 2 years, now...

What's the point of dragging the NX1's corpse into every camera discussion? I doubt most Fuji shoppers would consider the dead NX system, a large part of Fuji's appeal is where Samsung was weakest - ergonomic buttons/dials, lenses and SOOC JPEG's.

The nx1 is cool but Fuji looks like they finally got it right for video. I am looking at the video on Andrews post at 4k resolution and even with the youtube compression it looks amazing. The film emulations look straight out the cam better than the nx1 to me at least. Shit it looks better than a lot of stuff on the market to be honest with you. This is such a good look especially for those not good at grading or want to save time and just focus on editing instead of grading. I think that was the big plus for me with the nx1 was the look required minimal grading out the cam but this xt2 looks like it needs no grading but just color correction if need be. I am truly excited but not ready to sell what I have for it...I'll wait till the reviews hit the web

2 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Samsung NX 1 was very nice on paper but after I tried it, I totally disliked the image out of it. I fell the same way about all Sony DSLM cameras so far (very nice specs but the ergonomics are terrible and the image out of them is not for my taste). :(

5 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I am truly excited but not ready to sell what I have for it...I'll wait till the reviews hit the web

I also have high hopes for this camera but you never know if there is a deal breaker lurking somewhere around the corner, especially from a company that didn't give much thought to video side in the past. IMO it is better to be patient and wait for reviews and GH5 arrival, and then make a decision.

This camera stops recording after 10 minutes in 4K and 15 minutes in 1080p to prevent overheating? It seems this camera has the same weaknesses as the A6300: You can't use it for long continuous recordings and it will probably have the same bad rolling shutter if it does 6K to 4K oversampling (would surpise me if Fujifilm has improved RS where Sony couldn't). Although, even with those weaknesses it beats A6300 with much better ergonomics and lens selection. Wasn't the introduction price of the X-T1 $1299? $1599 seems a bit too pricey imo just like the A6300 which was also overpriced compared to A6000. GX80/85 seems to offer a lot more bang for the buck if you ask me.

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

What's the point of dragging the NX1's corpse into every camera discussion? I doubt most Fuji shoppers would consider the dead NX system, a large part of Fuji's appeal is where Samsung was weakest - ergonomic buttons/dials, lenses and SOOC JPEG's.

Well, since he is excited by xt2, and nx1 is better in almost every way, and has been out since nov 2014, my question was legit.

And...calling lenses a weak point of nx, makes think you never tried them. Same for ergonomics...nx1 is miles better than any fuji there.

2 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Well, since he is excited by xt2, and nx1 is better in almost every way, and has been out since nov 2014, my question was legit.

And...calling lenses a weak point of nx, makes think you never tried them. Same for ergonomics...nx1 is miles better than any fuji there.

NX1 is a dead system.  No point spending thousands on a bunch of lenses that will never have an upgraded body.  4k is still way too new to lock yourself in to one budget body for the foreseeable future.

Now if you can adapt some FD lenses you already own it can make sense, but of course no OIS.

1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

NX1 is a dead system.  No point spending thousands on a bunch of lenses that will never have an upgraded body.  4k is still way too new to lock yourself in to one budget body for the foreseeable future.

Now if you can adapt some FD lenses you already own it can make sense, but of course no OIS.

It was not a dead system until few months ago. He speaks as if there has been nothing like xt2 before. There has been for more than 1 year (before being, perhaps, a dead system).

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Owned the NX1, outside of the S zooms, the rest are mediocre, the pancakes are especially dreadful if you want to MF, no BB AF either - a basic staple of just about any decent camera including the most basic Canon Rebel from 2003. Fuji's lens selection is vastly superior - and its what attracts many shooters to the X-mount. Samsung's are a joke in comparison.

Nobody shopping Fuji cares about a dead system with a limited lens selection. Fuji's ergos, exposure controls on the body, the MF clutch mechanism and actual aperture rings are miles better than the NX1.

Let it go, its a Fuji discussion, nobody cares about your precious NX1.

Nobody cares? Then you are nobody ;-) since you are the one who does not care. 

Anyway, you don't understand what I mean, and this is probably a limit of me (as a writer) and of you, as someone ignoring the capabilities of a great camera. It's not 'my precious'. It's an outstanding piece of hardware, well ahead of its time that, like many other tech goods, was underrated and surpassed in sales by way inferior products, due to ignorance (i.e. lack of knowledge) of potential buyers, like those thinking that this xt2 is something 'new and great'.

Why does @The Chris always get so mad when someone mentions an NX1 ? Lol damn. 

Im waiting for the xt2 reviews cause since none of us held it we cant judge ergonomics or any of the physical components of the hardware. The fuji x lenses look sweet and I love what I've seen people do with em. I would've went fuji a lonnnnng time ago if their video didnt suck as much as it used too. The xpro2 was a great step up but now the xt2 is looking like the answer