Panasonic G9 mk2

kye

• Administrators
8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Hard Off have one in red with the 14-140 but it’s about £180 which is a bit steep I think.

That's not bad, the 14-140mm is very handy, certainly smaller than the 28-280mm full frame equivalent 😉

The only other alternative is to go all out with the GFX 100 and put some cheap Sigma from 1976 on it!

If the GH7 turns up whilst you're over there, can you give that a go.

And my lens tip of the month is the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4 G.Zukio which has the rendering of the Canon Dream Lens. Really is the closest you can get without getting the real thing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd guess it might be more likely there often needs to be first a push from a creative team (director/DP/producer) to get Netflix to add something to the list? 

And nobody has been pushing for the FX30 just yet to be added? 

Interesting, never thought of it like that. Then what about the Panasonic BGH1? Would a director have put a word for using that for a project too. I wonder how popular it was or is. 

8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Considering how long it takes to design electronics products, the GH8 is probably also in "very early stages" of development.  

But, as they say, talk is cheap!  Until it's in your hands it's not real..

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

Interesting, never thought of it like that. Then what about the Panasonic BGH1? Would a director have put a word for using that for a project too. I wonder how popular it was or is. 

Could have been someone on the Panasonic size pushing for it, or it could have been someone shooting a Netflix production with a Varicam LT who wanted a good C Cam / crashcam to use alongside their Varicams. 

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

I know of some VFX folks that use these in bulk to capture high-res plates for compositing, so they're at least known and in-use in professional circles.

I don't know of examples where it was used as the main camera, but that's the thing about people that actually make content - mostly they're not online talking about the brand of paper-clips they use 🙂 

• Super Members
15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The only other alternative is to go all out with the GFX 100 and put some cheap Sigma from 1976 on it!

They have a used GFX100 and a used Sony Alpha 1 for roughly the same price.

I thought I’d have got the former but the latter is creeping up on me now.

I’ve decided to resist both.

But I’m here for another 8 days so who knows.

If the GH7 turns up whilst you're over there, can you give that a go.

It’ll be in an S1H body no doubt 😀

And my lens tip of the month is the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4 G.Zukio which has the rendering of the Canon Dream Lens. Really is the closest you can get without getting the real thing.

Noted !

What I kinda wonder is about the dynamic range for photography. I still have my GH5 that I never parted with and objectively the pictures of the X-T4 have more latitude for editing, but I just liked using the GH5 so much more as I find Fujifilm's controls just not conductive to the user experience (obviously subjective).

I guess just jumping to a S5 II would be the best of both worlds? "Bad" rolling shutter though for handheld. Still no perfect camera out there.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I found the breaking point.

Fuji Instax Mini Evo.

instaxminievo.jpeg.6deb77b80658c0d1412507d885f599c3.jpeg

I don't actually own one so will have to buy it when we get there.

A bit of a Pyrrhic vvictory then but in the battle of wills with your kids you'll take whatever win you can.

24p movies with this one will be very expensive. 🙂

On 10/11/2023 at 8:26 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

24p movies with this one will be very expensive. 🙂

That's why you shoot it at 16fps 😉

A common frame rate of the silent film era. 

I support going back to 16fps (but not going back to silent films... then I'd be out of a job!). 

For that "true film feeling"!

On 10/11/2023 at 12:12 PM, kye said:

With kids, you just hand over your wallet and try not to think about it.

You got mugged.... by a child?? 

I see that in the reviews everyone uses the 12-35 or the 12-60 or telephoto lenses. 
I'd like to see how it performs with older lumix lenses. I use the 20 mm F1.7 and the Leica 45 mm F2.8 macro a lot. They have terrible motors and are very slow in focusing. I don't know how they will behave with PDAF and whether Lumix has released FW updates yet. If they haven't, they would be junk.

2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

I see that in the reviews everyone uses the 12-35 or the 12-60 or telephoto lenses. 
I'd like to see how it performs with older lumix lenses. I use the 20 mm F1.7 and the Leica 45 mm F2.8 macro a lot. They have terrible motors and are very slow in focusing. I don't know how they will behave with PDAF and whether Lumix has released FW updates yet. If they haven't, they would be junk.

The little 20mm performs pretty well on this video. Much better than on the previous Panasonic cameras.

However I'm concerned about the G9II focus accuracy in video, I watched and downloaded some clips and a lot of times the focus is not 100% accurate when viewing at 1:1, exactly like on my GH6 with most of my lenses when using slow frame rate in 4K/C4K/5,7K (below 48fps). It seems to affect only some lenses on the G9II, mostly the zooms.

Nevertheless, I decided to preorder the camera because I'm not a fan of the GH6 ( (outside of the very nice colors).
I have some great M43 lenses, so some features like the improved IBIS, DRBOOST at base ISO or even the come back of the I-Dynamic are very welcome. I just hope they will fix the AF, I also hope the IBIS in 5,7K and Open Gate are improved as well, because on the GH6, they are weakier than on 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 10:45 AM, Davide DB said:

If you take the example of the 20mm on Olympus, it's a train wreck in video with PDAF and C-AF (at least with Face detect). The motors will make grinding noises in all the audio (if you need it). However, it works great in S-AF as it should. The Olympus 17mm (1.8, not 2.8)or 20mm would be better options.

The G9 ii seems like a really interesting camera and I'm considering to pick one up. It makes me think the GH7 is most likely going to have some sort of electronic ND filter (what else can they put in it?), which could be amazing. Purely speculation, you get 13 stops DR with V-Log,  great IBIS, PDAF with great features, all the exposure tools with an electronic ND- that could be special.

On a side note, I decided to get rid of my GH6, G100, and one of my GH2s. Also, I decided to only keep my best glass (for IQ) or smallest glass. I just wasn't using the other stuff. I'll let someone else have fun with it.

Here's my inventory now:

An old, beaten up, hacked GH2 for live streaming (I make money with that). For daily usage, a hacked E-M1 ii.

For nice lenses, Olympus 12-40 Pro, Olympus 40-150 Pro, Olympus 17 f/1.2 Pro, Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 9mm.

For small lenses, Olympus 14-42 EZ, Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (two of them), Olympus 45mm f/1.8.

When it came to getting rid of stuff, I'm happy that it might help with my "indecision" when asking myself which lens and camera to pick up. I still have too much though. Anyone else have this problem? I love having options, but sometimes it's overwhelming because I like all of them; they all have something good about them.

11 hours ago, John Matthews said:

The G9 ii seems like a really interesting camera and I'm considering to pick one up. It makes me think the GH7 is most likely going to have some sort of electronic ND filter (what else can they put in it?), which could be amazing.

We all know they'll be adding PDAF to the GH7. 

I'm not sure there is much else major they could do, we know they won't do 8K yet in the GH7 (I think??). 

Maybe 6K?? 

Maybe they believe PDAF (plus one or two less important things, like 6K or 240fps 4K) is "enough" for the GH7 to be a hit?? (plus all the usual goodness we've come to expect with the GH6/GH5/etc)

It's hard to think of anything else "major" they could add. Perhaps a mini-XLR with phantom power like the P4K? But they already have the Panasonic DMW-XLR1, but it would be nice to have a more compact alternative without this) Perhaps a better TC implementation, with DIN like the Canon R5C does it? Maybe DIN for SDI as well?? (DIN is kinda0-ish like a mini BNC connector, perfect as a compact option for the GH7 to offer! Imagine a locking connector like DIN instead of HDMI? But imagine having both DIN and a full size HDMI as two independent outputs? You could give a clean output on one, with info overlays on the other. Exactly what many of us have been dreaming of!)

Internal eND just feels like the last "big" thing left for Panasonic to nail for the GH series after they've got AF sorted out. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

We all know they'll be adding PDAF to the GH7. 

I'm not sure there is much else major they could do, we know they won't do 8K yet in the GH7 (I think??). 

Maybe 6K?? 

Maybe they believe PDAF (plus one or two less important things, like 6K or 240fps 4K) is "enough" for the GH7 to be a hit?? (plus all the usual goodness we've come to expect with the GH6/GH5/etc)

It's hard to think of anything else "major" they could add. Perhaps a mini-XLR with phantom power like the P4K? But they already have the Panasonic DMW-XLR1, but it would be nice to have a more compact alternative without this) Perhaps a better TC implementation, with DIN like the Canon R5C does it? Maybe DIN for SDI as well?? (DIN is kinda0-ish like a mini BNC connector, perfect as a compact option for the GH7 to offer! Imagine a locking connector like DIN instead of HDMI? But imagine having both DIN and a full size HDMI as two independent outputs? You could give a clean output on one, with info overlays on the other. Exactly what many of us have been dreaming of!)

Internal eND just feels like the last "big" thing left for Panasonic to nail for the GH series after they've got AF sorted out. 

I'm not really up with all the latest things that all the flagships have in them, but I'd imagine there's a bunch of things that they could do that would fit into the "spirit" of the GH line, being that each one isn't really head-line grabbing but cumulatively it creates a real workhorse.

Things that come to mind (but is by no means everything):

• PDAF with all the modes (face, eye, dog/cat/gerbil-eye-AF)
  • Variable eND
  • External RAW support (BRAW and Prores RAW)
  • Focus breathing compensation
  • Shutter angles
  • All the prores modes internally (including the 4444 12-bit mode)
  • Dual native ISO with a nice high second ISO for serious low-light performance
  • Support for more than 2 channels of audio
  • Clean HDMI out
  • Updated BM-like UI where you can choose the resolution, frame-rate, codec, quality settings, audio settings etc all in one simple place
  • 1000/1500/2000+NIT screen

They could also make an effort to create a good package / rig, by offering products like:

• Updated interface module that offers XLRs, TC, other stuff
  • On-camera hotshoe shotgun mic like the Sony ECM on-camera mics which make a nice compact package
  • Bolt on ARRI LPL adapter
  • Integration with DJIs system so the camera can talk to the gimbals (for follow-mode) and their LiDAR products so you can have AF on manual lenses etc
  • A custom-designed grip that provides extra batteries but also integrates a swappable SSD NVMe (the long skinny ones) so you can record to SSD without having to mess with cables

I mean, there's nothing life-changing in the above, and we're not breaking the laws of physics by suggesting a 20-stop DR from an MFT sensor, but if it came with half of that stuff then it would be a serious offering I'd say.

I mean, if you think there's no improvement above other offerings just watch a few videos where people list the 27 reasons the FX3 isn't a cinema camera, or the equivalents from any of the other brands too.  No camera has all of the good features, they're all missing a random smattering of them.