A6700 - FX30 sensor 👀

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From Sony rumors:

Allegedly this is a sheet from a Sony A6700 presentation in Asia. If true (and I have no clue if it’s true) this would confirm previous rumors:

26MP Exmor R APS-C sensor

6k30 4k120p

3,69 million dot EVF

All we know for sure is that the new High End APS-C camera will be announced next week on July 12!

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Probably shares the same sensor with the FX30

And good parts of the body, judging from the first image leaks in Sonyalpharumors.

Sony are completely tools for me, zero feeling. But this one get my attention - a "rangefinder" body (which looks like, with the looking death of the GX line by Panasonic, and the rumors that there will not be a X-E5 from Fuji, will be the only one in the market, together with the A7C), good AF, dual dials (finally)...

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I can’t wait for the hate.

Piece of shit Sony camera. 

No I haven’t got one and no I’m not going to try one because it’s for YooToober influenzas.

🔥

If they overheat then they're not for influencers...  The best way to shorten your record times is to:

• Develop script & storyboard
  • Shoot in controlled situations
  • Create the excitement deliberately

Most influencers, except the serious ones that have mature and controlled processes, just setup crazy situations and then see what happens, recording the whole time, then edit it down.

If it overheats, it'll be yet another floater in the camera specs pool, along with cameras without wide angle lenses, selfie screens, external audio inputs, etc etc.

1 hour ago, kye said:

If they overheat then they're not for influencers...  The best way to shorten your record times is to:

• Develop script & storyboard
  • Shoot in controlled situations
  • Create the excitement deliberately

Plenty of us here need to be able to record for an hour or three while recording interviews / documentaries / conferences / weddings / etc 

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

will be the only one in the market

I like a rangefinderesque style camera and Fujis XPro1 and then 2 were my working cameras for stills for about 5 years.

They screwed it up for me a bit with the rear LCD on the 3 and the more DSLR-like bodies were/are more practical, especially for video/hybrid use.

There were rumours of Panny & Leica bringing out something but I suspect it was pure wishful thinking, but it would get my interest at least.

Sigma though are arguably in the game with their FP and FP-L and but for a couple of things, would be my tools of choice.

I’m still hoping for a successor that is not crippled to death…

But Sony’s 6XXX line has always been for the enthusiast so there’s going to be compromises and they do have to continually bring out new models because that’s how business works.

10 hours ago, kye said:

Most influencers, except the serious ones that have mature and controlled processes, just setup crazy situations and then see what happens, recording the whole time, then edit it down.

I would assume - for most influencers the phone is good enough.

I remember seeing some person's home tour - may it was on queer eye (can't remember) and they setup an area because he was an "influencer" - all they had was a ringlight with phone mount.... and I thought... well... record, edit and throw it on the platform - done.

17 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I would assume - for most influencers the phone is good enough.

I remember seeing some person's home tour - may it was on queer eye (can't remember) and they setup an area because he was an "influencer" - all they had was a ringlight with phone mount.... and I thought... well... record, edit and throw it on the platform - done.

I have seen various snippets over the years of influencers talking about the craft and lots of them have a far more developed sense of things than you'd imagine.  Not all of them of course, but definitely a lot of them.

One of the things they're often very aware of is the aesthetic of various types of production.  In todays terms, things shot on a phone have a certain look that tends to be viewed as more authentic and less produced.  If you're making content that plays better if your viewers think that things are unplanned and 'real' then this aesthetic would help that, and if you want to appear as a professional authoritative source then maybe some nice lighting and shallower DOF would suit better.

As a few examples, Gerald Undone seems more like an authority figure with a nice studio setup rather than shooting on a phone while unboxing things on his floor, Chefs that want to be taken seriously have professional looking kitchens and have nice lighting and cameras, but not everyone wants to look professional.

A bit of searching revealed this channel - a kids show that looks like it's shot on a smartphone.
https://www.youtube.com/@KidsDianaShow/about
BUT, the channel has 112M subs and 93 BILLION views!  I have no idea if they do paid content but the YT ad revenue alone would probably buy them an Alexa.  I suspect part of their allure is that the content sort-of looks like it was made by the kids themselves.  Maybe it is, and maybe there's an entire production team, but the aesthetic is deliberate.

Cinematographers choose lenses deliberately because they're professionals, you'd be crazy if you thought that professional YouTubers weren't aware of the difference between filming on a smartphone vs a cinema camera 🙂 

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, kye said:

I have no idea if they do paid content but the YT ad revenue alone would probably buy them an Alexa.

If you google the net worth of family then they could make a decent fist of buying a fair chunk of Arri in its entirety let alone one of their cameras 😉 

19 minutes ago, kye said:

I have seen various snippets over the years of influencers talking about the craft and lots of them have a far more developed sense of things than you'd imagine.  Not all of them of course, but definitely a lot of them.

One of the things they're often very aware of is the aesthetic of various types of production.  In todays terms, things shot on a phone have a certain look that tends to be viewed as more authentic and less produced.  If you're making content that plays better if your viewers think that things are unplanned and 'real' then this aesthetic would help that, and if you want to appear as a professional authoritative source then maybe some nice lighting and shallower DOF would suit better.

As a few examples, Gerald Undone seems more like an authority figure with a nice studio setup rather than shooting on a phone while unboxing things on his floor, Chefs that want to be taken seriously have professional looking kitchens and have nice lighting and cameras, but not everyone wants to look professional.

A bit of searching revealed this channel - a kids show that looks like it's shot on a smartphone.
https://www.youtube.com/@KidsDianaShow/about
BUT, the channel has 112M subs and 93 BILLION views!  I have no idea if they do paid content but the YT ad revenue alone would probably buy them an Alexa.  I suspect part of their allure is that the content sort-of looks like it was made by the kids themselves.  Maybe it is, and maybe there's an entire production team, but the aesthetic is deliberate.

Back at the start of the covid era I worked on a major tv advertising campaign, bankrolled by the govt with oodles of cash to raise awareness about covid, with a top notch tv advertising agency running the show, with top flight director / DoP / etc, skilled crew of a 1st AC (and all the other ACs) and a Gaffer (with all their LX Assists) and full size lighting truck, and an Art Department, video village, etc etc... oh, and me of course! 😉 Doing sound. 

Of course an ARRI Alexa was used. 

But how they did they shoot it? With as much emphasis on "natural looking" lighting (even if there were a dozen lights used in the process of crafting that look!), and in absolutely every single case the talent (big name famous celebrities/personalities/sportspeople) would always be "holding the camera" (of course it's impossible for them to hold this big heavy ARRI! So they'd just have their hand on the edge of the mattebox, and both the talent and Camera Op would be carefully timing their movements to stay in sync with each other, this might take a few  goes). 

Why was this done? To make the videos look as "authentic" as possible, like they're just causally filming something themselves to be sharing personally with you the viewer. 

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Back at the start of the covid era I worked on a major tv advertising campaign, bankrolled by the govt with oodles of cash to raise awareness about covid, with a top notch tv advertising agency running the show, with top flight director / DoP / etc, skilled crew of a 1st AC (and all the other ACs) and a Gaffer (with all their LX Assists) and full size lighting truck, and an Art Department, video village, etc etc... oh, and me of course! 😉 Doing sound. 

Of course an ARRI Alexa was used. 

But how they did they shoot it? With as much emphasis on "natural looking" lighting (even if there were a dozen lights used in the process of crafting that look!), and in absolutely every single case the talent (big name famous celebrities/personalities/sportspeople) would always be "holding the camera" (of course it's impossible for them to hold this big heavy ARRI! So they'd just have their hand on the edge of the mattebox, and both the talent and Camera Op would be carefully timing their movements to stay in sync with each other, this might take a few  goes). 

Why was this done? To make the videos look as "authentic" as possible, like they're just causally filming something themselves to be sharing personally with you the viewer. 

Reminds me of that Modern Family episode where the whole thing was from the perspectives of their various devices as they video chatted etc with each other all the time.

I read that they actually tried shooting it like how it was portrayed but ended up using real Apple device cameras but operated by camera ops and the actors just resting their hands on the camera ops wrist.  

2 hours ago, kye said:

but ended up using real Apple device cameras but operated by camera ops and the actors just resting their hands on the camera ops wrist.  

Indeed, it is far too much to expect actors to give their best possible acting performances and to operate the camera too 

13 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I like a rangefinderesque style camera and Fujis XPro1 and then 2 were my working cameras for stills for about 5 years.

They screwed it up for me a bit with the rear LCD on the 3 and the more DSLR-like bodies were/are more practical, especially for video/hybrid use.

There were rumours of Panny & Leica bringing out something but I suspect it was pure wishful thinking, but it would get my interest at least.

Sigma though are arguably in the game with their FP and FP-L and but for a couple of things, would be my tools of choice.

I’m still hoping for a successor that is not crippled to death…

But Sony’s 6XXX line has always been for the enthusiast so there’s going to be compromises and they do have to continually bring out new models because that’s how business works.

Yep, I'm a (each time less) "enthusiast" 🙂

If this is my work, for sure would be using FF too. But just want to get good images, document family and trips.
And when you're travelling and want to shoot on streets, nothing better than a "rangefinder" - noboy cares. You pull a DSLRish camera, everyone start to notice and get grumpy. And is perfect to record concerts, never was barred by security with a GX.

Already said that a GX10 with a decent EVF, 10 bit video (even with 30 min limit) and PDAF would be a perfect camera for me. But...each day becomes more clear that m43 for Panny looks like GH and (maybe) a G9 sucessor. No more GXs. For OM Digital, god only knows. Lenses - only big Pro ones. All that I don't want.

Waiting for my X-S20, arrives in a 2 or 3 weeks. Not rangefinderesque, but small enough to be perceived as a P&S. Solved or mitigate most of the problems that I have with the X-S10 (horrendous battery life, better af,  better IBIS, with 10-bit I finally could try F-log), but kept one of the worst problems, common to all Fuji: no old school object tracking in video. In which Sony is very good.

Than Sony releases a rangefinderesque camera with better ergos, amazing AF, probably the same sensor in a Bayer version...for sure not now, but in the future, could make me switch. Still hoping that Fuji hire some Olympus guy for IBIS and some Sony guys for AF, but is just hope.