A6700 - FX30 sensor 👀

SRV1981

Haven't been super active in a while, so I hope you are all doing well 🙂

Two big reasons I might consider this camera instead of sticking with my Nikon Z6 are:

1.  10-bit internal

2.  Internal Gyro Data

#2 is big for me.  I've realized how convenient gyro stabilization is, at least for me.  Allows me to get a wide range of awesome motion shots while having a convenient shooting experience.  Less weight, less setup time, no need to balance a gimbal or steadicam.  Well...it would be convenient if I had a camera that recorded internally.  I've done some stuff with gyro data on my Nikno Z6 by using a smartphone as a gyro logger.  This works and can work extremely well, but the workflow is a pain because you have to keep track of all the gyro data on your phone and match all of the files, not to mention having one more thing you need to attach to your camera.  The Sony A6700 as well as pretty much all of Sony's recent offerings seem very appealing to me for the sole reason that you can quickly get perfectly synced gyro data without needing any external devices.  You can process this footage in Gyroflow to get a lot of power, and can even use the Gyroflow OFX plugin in Davinci Resolve to get a very streamlined workflow.

The 10-bit internal is nice too.  Of course a billion cameras now offer that, and that feature is solely convenience-based for me.  I think I could rock the Sigma Contemporary Primes and sacrifice a bit of lowlight for these features.  IDK.  We'll see.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

Two big reasons I might consider this camera instead of sticking with my Nikon Z6 are:

1.  10-bit internal

2.  Internal Gyro Data

#2 is big for me.  I've realized how convenient gyro stabilization is, at least for me.  Allows me to get a wide range of awesome motion shots while having a convenient shooting experience.  Less weight, less setup time, no need to balance a gimbal or steadicam.  Well...it would be convenient if I had a camera that recorded internally.  I've done some stuff with gyro data on my Nikno Z6 by using a smartphone as a gyro logger.  This works and can work extremely well, but the workflow is a pain because you have to keep track of all the gyro data on your phone and match all of the files, not to mention having one more thing you need to attach to your camera.  The Sony A6700 as well as pretty much all of Sony's recent offerings seem very appealing to me for the sole reason that you can quickly get perfectly synced gyro data without needing any external devices.  You can process this footage in Gyroflow to get a lot of power, and can even use the Gyroflow OFX plugin in Davinci Resolve to get a very streamlined workflow.

The 10-bit internal is nice too.  Of course a billion cameras now offer that, and that feature is solely convenience-based for me.  I think I could rock the Sigma Contemporary Primes and sacrifice a bit of lowlight for these features.  IDK.  We'll see.

I think the biggest complaint and frustration by users is the low threshold for heat/overheating that occurs in video. This was going to be my next body but the mixed signals make me more curious for the a7cII which is starting over with way more headroom for heat.  I’d love to save a few hundred on the body but may be worth the extra cash to not deal with overheating plus the additional headroom regarding noise all while keeping it into a fairly compact body. 

4 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

1.  10-bit internal

2.  Internal Gyro Data

I'm also starting to see the benefits of gyro stabilisation in the newer cameras.

My preferred camera is the Panasonic GX85 but if they released a successor that had internal gyro data (and the tools necessary to utilise it in post) then that would be an attractive feature for me - far more than 10-bit or log or other more technical upgrades.

23 hours ago, kye said:

I'm also starting to see the benefits of gyro stabilisation in the newer cameras.

My preferred camera is the Panasonic GX85 but if they released a successor that had internal gyro data (and the tools necessary to utilise it in post) then that would be an attractive feature for me - far more than 10-bit or log or other more technical upgrades.

Agreed.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:06 PM, kye said:

My biggest issue with gyro stabilization right now is the increased processing time it adds in post. It's not ideal for fast turn around and long takes. BUT the potential is HUGE and could be a total game changer, especially as processing power in cameras increases. We're not that far away I bet from it all being done in camera, which would be huge. 

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

My biggest issue with gyro stabilization right now is the increased processing time it adds in post. It's not ideal for fast turn around and long takes. BUT the potential is HUGE and could be a total game changer, especially as processing power in cameras increases. We're not that far away I bet from it all being done in camera, which would be huge. 

If you're in Resolve, you can use Gyroflow. You don't need to create new media, just drop the effect, save the preset and apply it to all clips in a timeline. It might involve some tweaking but it's much faster than using Catalyst software.

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'd prefer it to be adjustable in post to give extra control after the fact.  

For example, if I'm shooting out of the window of a moving vehicle on a rough road then getting a completely gimbal-like level of stabilisation may require too much cropping for my desired framing.  Or if I'm shooting a static shot hand-held I may want to smooth any micro-jitters in there but keep a slightly moving camera for a hand-held feel, or I may want to lock it off completely, but that decision is one of those ones where you'd want to make it based on the edit.  I wouldn't want to have a whole edit with just hand-held but not locked-off shots (or locked-off only) if I could have the ability to vary it in post.

4 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

If you're in Resolve, you can use Gyroflow. You don't need to create new media, just drop the effect, save the preset and apply it to all clips in a timeline. It might involve some tweaking but it's much faster than using Catalyst software.

I'm not familiar with the plugin - does it handle gyro data from multiple manufacturers?  If so, that would be great!

On 9/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, FHDcrew said:

1.  10-bit internal

2.  Internal Gyro Data

What app to use to record gyro data on your phone?