A6700 - FX30 sensor ๐Ÿ‘€

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony camerasย EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My 2 cents after seeing some reviews as a targeted consumer of this camera - hybrid-enthusiast-amateur. Yes, because if doing videos was my work, don't even would think about this one.

It is a rollercoaster of features: some very "high" (good) and some very low (bad). Mostly comparing it to the Fuji XS-20, which looks like the closest competitor.

High:
- 4K60 and 4K120 available in this price point - and, importantly, the image in these modes are VERY good. (I'm looking to the 1080p 240 from you, Fuji).

- Card slot on the side, not on the battery door.

- No idiotic filters / effects on the mode dial;
- Arguably the best AF on the market, and good to use use manual focus too with the Focus Map feature (never tested it, but looks amazing and almost no one talks about it).
- Dedicated switch between stills and video - much better than turning a mode dial.- Small - in the videos I got the impression that the camera is bigger because it looks thicker, but is even smaller than the X-S20. Heck, even smaller than a Panasonic GX85.

ย 

Low:
- Horrible 1080p video, if you want it;
- Bitrates looks bad, 100 mbps for 4k24 (but never used XAVC-HD to have an opinion);
- Terrible LCD panel for 2023 standards;
- No focus joystick - and yes, was just the case to put one on the place of the AF-ON button, and moved the button up.
- Bad burst still numbers;
- No open gate or DCI 4k;
- Dunno if the C modes on dials could be used for video too;

About overheating: for people like me (hybrid normal user), and most the "content creators", it is almost a non-issue. Slow-mo is not used a lot, and when used, is for small takes. In fact, for Youtubers, the bad 1080p is more of a concern - a lot of these people still uses 1080p. Overheat could pose a problem for hybrid wedding shooters, I guess. In this regard, the fan of the X-S20 is kinda of a good solution - but if I wanna use Fuji for any professional use, would get a X-H2 or X-H2s.

I liked the camera. But, if the X-S20 have AF good enough, is a much better proposition - in fact, Fujifilm released a firmware update yesterday that enhances the AF performance (but, again, no general wide / area tracking). And you have open gate and even the option to get an external recorder and shoot RAW video, for $100 less than the Sony. And, for stills, you have Fuji colors.

All goes down to AF performance. For "content creators", is the most important thing - and the reason that ZV-E10 sells like hotcakes.

The Canon R7 looks slight ahead than both these ones, but...where are the lenses?

The A6700 is terrific for the intended public - and for the boatloads of the A6xxx users, is a no brainer. This one will sell VERY well.
ย 

59 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

My 2 cents after seeing some reviews as a targeted consumer of this camera - hybrid-enthusiast-amateur. Yes, because if doing videos was my work, don't even would think about this one.

It is a rollercoaster of features: some very "high" (good) and some very low (bad). Mostly comparing it to the Fuji XS-20, which looks like the closest competitor.

High:
- 4K60 and 4K120 available in this price point - and, importantly, the image in these modes are VERY good. (I'm looking to the 1080p 240 from you, Fuji).

- Card slot on the side, not on the battery door.

- No idiotic filters / effects on the mode dial;
- Arguably the best AF on the market, and good to use use manual focus too with the Focus Map feature (never tested it, but looks amazing and almost no one talks about it).
- Dedicated switch between stills and video - much better than turning a mode dial.- Small - in the videos I got the impression that the camera is bigger because it looks thicker, but is even smaller than the X-S20. Heck, even smaller than a Panasonic GX85.

ย 

Low:
- Horrible 1080p video, if you want it;
- Bitrates looks bad, 100 mbps for 4k24 (but never used XAVC-HD to have an opinion);
- Terrible LCD panel for 2023 standards;
- No focus joystick - and yes, was just the case to put one on the place of the AF-ON button, and moved the button up.
- Bad burst still numbers;
- No open gate or DCI 4k;
- Dunno if the C modes on dials could be used for video too;

About overheating: for people like me (hybrid normal user), and most the "content creators", it is almost a non-issue. Slow-mo is not used a lot, and when used, is for small takes. In fact, for Youtubers, the bad 1080p is more of a concern - a lot of these people still uses 1080p. Overheat could pose a problem for hybrid wedding shooters, I guess. In this regard, the fan of the X-S20 is kinda of a good solution - but if I wanna use Fuji for any professional use, would get a X-H2 or X-H2s.

I liked the camera. But, if the X-S20 have AF good enough, is a much better proposition - in fact, Fujifilm released a firmware update yesterday that enhances the AF performance (but, again, no general wide / area tracking). And you have open gate and even the option to get an external recorder and shoot RAW video, for $100 less than the Sony. And, for stills, you have Fuji colors.

All goes down to AF performance. For "content creators", is the most important thing - and the reason that ZV-E10 sells like hotcakes.

The Canon R7 looks slight ahead than both these ones, but...where are the lenses?

The A6700 is terrific for the intended public - and for the boatloads of the A6xxx users, is a no brainer. This one will sell VERY well.
ย 

Yup agree and like Iโ€™ve said - a pair of fx30/a6700 makes an all around great combo for all video and photo needs for most non-prosumers.ย 

5 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Small - in the videos I got the impression that the camera is bigger because it looks thicker, but is even smaller than the X-S20. Heck, even smaller than a Panasonic GX85.

Yes, according to Camerasize, it is a similar size as the GX85:

image.thumb.png.3785ff328c6c0f94ddc6e40190e9c902.png

ย 

image.thumb.png.a467bb4f156f1cf52537215f033e7b0b.png

Obviously it's thicker and has a larger grip, but this will be dwarfed by the size of the lenses.

Here are both with their kit zooms, which are probably amongst the smallest likely to be used if size was a key consideration:

image.thumb.png.fc0be7523f2f42e4a5f242150b3c76c4.png

While I'm no fan of Sony cameras, it is good to see that there is still an interest in making small cameras - camera size matters and the general approach from the industry is that only people who can have huge cameras deserve image quality, which is simply not true.

9 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Terrible LCD panel for 2023 standards

Something that often gets overlooked and is under-appreciated.

I donโ€™t wish to turn this into a Sony vs thread, but every time I use my S1H next to my S5ii, I am reminded of just how good that rear LCD is and not just how much better it is, but what impact that has in the real world which is confidence in the result.

Itโ€™s so rich and detailed, whereas the S5ii is lacking by comparison and really is like having a proper, albeit 3+ inch monitor without having to rig it.

Itโ€™s in these real world details that the biggest difference in kit can be found.

9 hours ago, kye said:

size matters

Between this and the battery, I feel attacked.ย 
ย 

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I am reminded of just how good that rear LCD is

Fair point - I guess theyโ€™re assuming the target audience if this camera (a6700) wonโ€™t mind as much or notice.ย 

1 hour ago, Davide DB said:

Yes but I find only youtubers running and dancing in front of the camera.

I would like to see real world examples on different kind of animals. Maybe I'm asking too much

Maybe you are not searching enough ๐Ÿ™‚

Not my video.

I've been following discussions around the latest "compact" releases from Sony (a6700, zv-e1). ย I'd love to see something similar from Panasonic but don't expect it. ย I currently shoot a S5II, but would like a second smaller setup that can almost be stuffed in a pocket for personal outings. ย 4K 120p and full sensor 60p make these even more appealing since the S5II does neither. ย As it stands, I find the zv-e1 a bit more interesting than the a6700. ย If I were serious about stills, then the balance might shift to the a6700.

15 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Brandon has done much cooler stuff with cheaper cameras. Nicer colours too than this. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love his stuff. Enjoyed the colors here but did feel like it was more rushed than his usual artistic fingerprint. He didnโ€™t have but a few hours with it so thereโ€™s that.ย