New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This isn't a Z6. It sits way above just under Z9 which it shares basically everything as far as specs, but in a Z6/Z7 type body:

Sensor: 45.7MP (stacked)

ISO range: 64-25,600.

20 fps (120fps in JPEG mode).

5-axis in-body stabilizations: 6 stops.

Shutter speed: 1/32000 – 900s.

Electronic shutter only.

Autofocus: 493 AF points.

HEIF 10-bit support.

Video: 8.3k @60p.

3.2″ tilting LCD screens.

EVF: same as the Z9 (3690k-dot OLED).

Memory cards: CFExpress + SD.

Dust/drip resistant: same as the Nikon D850.

Dimensions: 144×118×83mm | 5.6×4.6×3.2in.

Weight: under 1kg.

Price: €4,599

Very interesting camera imo. Especially if they include RAW/ProRes. If they don't drop the ball somewhere (like overheat issues), it could even be the cam that makes me go back to Nikon!

1 hour ago, Django said:

it could even be the cam that makes me go back to Nikon!

On my radar also…

10 years Nikon film and then early days DSLR up to D3s and then Fujifilm X for almost another decade and now L Mount for the last 2 years.

The Z9 as a body is for my needs, the ultimate camera right now.

The lenses, less so.

Z9 spec in a Z6/7 size body sure would be interesting, but even if it ticks every box, not this year and not before at least old Pannyboy from the L Mount 3, announce an S1 line successor.

Pretty sure I will change a few things in 2024 and it may well be a complete ground up with another brand.

No complaints, but I just want to get to my 3 camera system over my current 4 as soon as realistically possible, although that equation is more a lens than a camera conundrum.

As I have stated numerous times on this forum, right now, for my needs, only Tamron in e Mount have my ideal line up of glass but there is an e to z Mount adapter that retains AF so Nikon could be a contender…

Anyway, anything new out there is always interesting if only as a point of reference.

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

40* MP, who needs 8k? Arri is 2k and the best you can get. Would love to see manufactures go toward color and DR. 

I’m interested in 8k for frame grabs to use as actual proper photography stills.

2k is trash for that, 4k OK, 6k good and 8k where it’s at.

But yes, I’m not interested in size for the sake of size, especially if it is at the expense of other areas.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

frame grabs to use as actual proper photography stills.

In this situation what do you do for shutter speed? Or is the video likely to be 50p so 1/100 which would be ok for stills? I've found 1/50 needs a static subject to extract decent stills.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I’m interested in 8k for frame grabs to use as actual proper photography stills.

2k is trash for that, 4k OK, 6k good and 8k where it’s at.

But yes, I’m not interested in size for the sake of size, especially if it is at the expense of other areas.

The Z9 rolling shutter is reported to be a lot faster for stills than video, so it's better to just use it in stills mode if you want stills. The frame is larger, it is read faster, there is more dynamic range, the option of less compression, and you can even start the recording before pressing the shutter button fully down.

If you're a solo shooter doing events/sports you might be shooting video and cannot switch to stills at a specific moment so grabbing (8K) stills is a very handy option. @gt3rs has been doing this a lot with R5/R5C on his extreme sports and safari shoots and the stills look amazing. 

This Z8 if rumoured specs and price are correct is really shaping up to be the R5/R5C killer from Nikon.