New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

Indeed. Before the Z8 came out, there could be a bunch of Z9 buyers who bought it for it’s spec and compromised on the size/weight for their needs, who then later wished or exchanged for the Z8, but today, with both on the table, it should be more straightforward to make the right decision for ‘you’.

I am at that stage now where I have cleared my backlog of work for this year and am now twiddling my thumbs and contemplating my naval. I have a trip to the UK a week today and then Christmas and then it’s into the new year which is also a new financial year.

I also have some plans for some personal projects Jan-March just so I am not totally bored to tears so have made a pretty firm decision that unless I see any sign of an imminent (available by end of March latest) Z6iii, I am going to pick up a Z9 at the start of ‘24.

The pros just outweigh the cons for me and though I still prefer the Canon R3 body (the only real competitor at this time for the Z9 in terms of being a gripped mirrorless body) the combo of body + lens has tipped things now in favour of Nikon + Tamron at the ‘Dream’ level, never mind the reality level, because the Canon route is not financially viable anyway 😜

The above is a pretty easy decision to now make, but if that Z6iii does show signs of appearing within my timescale, the Z8 comes back into play as a possibility as it would not be having to do quite the heavy lifting that the Z9 would.

But having said that, still probably Z9 for all the previously mentioned reasons; platform, portrait orientation, battery life, cards, yada yada. Actually, no yada yada, those are the reasons!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Django said:

Maybe if you bought a Z9 before a Z8 you may wanna trade it for the lighter cheaper model but if you buy a Z9 today it is because the extra features and ergonomics of the Z9 appeal to you. Wether it’s for battery life, better heat management, weather sealing, the built in vertical grip, or better balance for long lenses, there are bunch of reasons why a pro would still pick a Z9 and keep it for many years to come. I know if I go Nikon I would be tempted by it over the Z8. Z8+grip I heard is a really clunky solution, the grip really sucks I guess plus it becomes bulkier and heavier than the Z9.

23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

(...)

The above is a pretty easy decision to now make, but if that Z6iii does show signs of appearing within my timescale, the Z8 comes back into play as a possibility as it would not be having to do quite the heavy lifting that the Z9 would.

But having said that, still probably Z9 for all the previously mentioned reasons; platform, portrait orientation, battery life, cards, yada yada. Actually, no yada yada, those are the reasons!

The portrait orientation is a good excuse/reason : ) Better heat management to my needs makes a perfect sense despite that replacement time frame already mentioned.

The Z8 with the grip add-on is a 2-in-1 solution though... I think it depends how much you estimate you'll use the grip ;- )

The add on grip is an option…for some users I guess.

Personally I think it’s hideous and I would never use it.

I did use an add on grip to my S1H to balance the Leica 24-90 as that lens is a beast and still do actually for the 70-200 f4.

So necessity rather than ‘choice’ but I much prefer an integrated grip.

Personally (professionally) I have no need to ever add on or take away a grip so it’s a case of I need one 100% of the time, or 100% not at all.

I don’t like even changing lenses, so the thought of changing the handling characteristics of any set up so significantly, fills me with loathing.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The add on grip is an option…for some users I guess.

Personally I think it’s hideous and I would never use it.

I did use an add on grip to my S1H to balance the Leica 24-90 as that lens is a beast and still do actually for the 70-200 f4.

So necessity rather than ‘choice’ but I much prefer an integrated grip.

Personally (professionally) I have no need to ever add on or take away a grip so it’s a case of I need one 100% of the time, or 100% not at all.

I don’t like even changing lenses, so the thought of changing the handling characteristics of any set up so significantly, fills me with loathing.

So, I think you're giving solid grounds to your well balanced decision then : ) to fit your needs, taste and shooting style, you can only end fine : )

Hold one in hands in any case before to pull the trigger 'cause practice is a much different challenging reality as we all know :- )

More than size is the body weight to bothers me perhaps, I guess.