Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I find it funny how we keep looking for lenses to try/use but sometimes forget or dismiss what we already have.

I have an ancient Promura 28 2.8 lens in m42 mount and it spends its days as a "plug" on an old Pentax Spotmatic I have not used for 15 years or so.

I was reminded of it when I saw it while looking for something the other day and thought I would take the lens for a walk.

Just a jpeg as taken still but for a pretty much give away lens, I don't mind it now at all (I used to think it was crap and only good as a body cap).

DSC09436.jpg

Thanks.

Yeah, on purpose.      It is actually an as taken in camera HDR.      The -1 to bring up the cloud reflections from the sun and the HDR to bring some of the rest back (this was the first early morning cloud of any sort I have had for a couple of weeks).      I took quite a few in various combinations 0 to -1 and HDR and not and I tend to like it a bit darker.      I have HDR to be switched on/off with two button presses and am having a bit of fun with it at the moment.

I have looked at it on a few computers and it is too dark on some but I like it on others (including my home computer).

So ive decided my sigma zooms are waaaayyy to big and heavy for when i'm shooting casually. Im looking to purchase an additional set of primes to compliment. Im currently looking at maybepicking up a set of Leica R's (35,50,90 Crons) any suggestions or experiances with these or any other suggestions?

cheers

After a weird winter of weather, some family health issues and some financial issues, I am finally ready to resume production on my film. The financial issues forced me to sell off the two lenses I was using. After a few months of digging through my closet and testing almost every lens I had, I finally settled on two lenses I didn't have but cost me a fraction of what my original lenses cost. Here are a couple examples from a final lens test I did the other day with my lead actor.

The first two are from the Canon EF USM 28mm f/1.8...

Unsure Lens Test - Rope Net Two.jpg

Unsure Lens Test - Pirates Net.jpg

And the next two are from the Canon 50mm f/1.4...

Unsure Lens Test - 50mm Close Up Boardwalk.jpg

Unsure Lens Test - 50mm Close Up Two.jpg

Both are great lenses that cost me a lot less than one of the lenses I was using before.

I guess lenses aren't forever after all. The Olympus 45mm f/1.2 PRO is rocking my world, and I don't regret for an instant trading in my Nocticron. Some may still prefer the Nocticron for dual IBIS, but I've never encountered a situation with non-stabilized lenses where the camera's own IBIS, or that of a brushless gimbal, wasn't good enough. I've even shot with the Veydra 85mm with ETC mode enabled and the GH5's IBIS allowed me to shoot handheld with no camera shake. Some still believe that the Leicas have a magical 3D pop, which may be a combination of color rendering, the way it renders out-of-focus areas and micro-contrast, as well as high resolution,  but I'm not seeing it - or rather, I don't see it as exclusive to any one brand. Practically any good lens today, whether it's Zeiss, Fujinon or Sony, can deliver exceptionally three dimensional images. Sigma's 16mm f/1.4 has also displaced my seldom used Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95. From f/1.4 onward, it pretty much kills the Voigtlander in virtually every regard, and not only in resolution. I do like fast primes, but when we're talking f/0.95, it's a case of seriously diminishing returns. Wide open, the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 loses as much as 68% of it's brightness at the corners due to vignetting, the Sigma, 24% at the edges wide open. And both the Sigma and the Olympus render out-of-focus areas beautifully. Perhaps the one word that comes to mind when thinking about the Noktons is 'character' - but I believe the Sigma 16mm has plenty to go around. Which is probably one of the reasons why it was on the list of many photographers' best-of lenses earlier this year.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, mercer said:

Unsure Lens Test - 50mm Close Up Two.jpg

Wow, what a nice clasic balance of tonality - blue with pale face and creamy pastel of compounding colors in the background! And glance down to the side - immediately composition angle reminiscence of La Vergine Annunciata by Antonello da Messina (sadly reproduction is bad)...

La-Vergine-Annunciata-Antonello-da-Messina-particolare.jpg

7 minutes ago, anonim said:

Wow, what a nice clasic balance of tonality - blue with pale face and creamy pastel of compounding colors in the backgroung! And glance down to the side - immediately composition angle reminiscence of La Vergine Annunciata by Antonello da Messina (sadly reproduction is bad)...

La-Vergine-Annunciata-Antonello-da-Messina-particolare.jpg

That’s exactly what I was going for... not really but I like your smarter reason better than my contemplation reason. 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, JordanWright said:

So ive decided my sigma zooms are waaaayyy to big and heavy for when i'm shooting casually. Im looking to purchase an additional set of primes to compliment. Im currently looking at maybepicking up a set of Leica R's (35,50,90 Crons) any suggestions or experiances with these or any other suggestions?

cheers

I had set of Leica R lenses... anything special that interested you?