Panasonic EVA-2 Wish List

currensheldon

In my opinion, Panasonic makes the best cameras with the best IQ (especially video IQ) in the business. They are reliable, packed full of features, ergonomically nearly perfect, and just fantastic to use. The S1 and S1H (and seemingly the S5) are the most useful mirrorless tools and the S1H in particular is a brilliant video camera.

But Panasonic needs to go all-out with L-Mount NOW, because Canon and Sony are going gangbusters with camera releases. With the C70 RF and Sony FX6 coming out soon, Panasonic needs to release an EVA-2 ASAP and load it with features to solidify the L-Mount. The EVA-2 has to be an FS7-type release, where they give out features that no other manufacturer has at that price point. Main competition will obviously be the C300 III, FX9, FX6, and C70. 

Here is what I think they need to do:

- Release EVA-2 with L-Mount
- FULL FRAME - has to be.
- 120-180fps in 4k (C300 III and C70 does this, but has a Super35 sensor)
- IBIS - first ever in a cinema camera and make it LOCKABLE (I know cinema cameras "NEVER!" have IBIS, but I think the market would love it).
- Dual ISO (640 and 4000)
- 12-bit codec - Codecs in EVA-2 and S1H and 5.9k ProRes Raw output are great - internal raw would be excellent but maybe not possible. An internal 12-bit codec would be awesome though.
- PDAF - I don't care as much about AF, but the market demands it. At least the S5 AF in the EVA-2. 
- Compact Body - Make it smaller, more like the FS5 sized than EVA-1
- $7499 - Same price as EVA-1 and WAY below any full-frame cinema camera with these specs. Could even go closer to the FX9 ($10k even) with these specs.

If they put out a pretty standard Super35 camera with 4k 60fps and raw out (basically an EVA-1 with L-Mount), they're not going to gain much traction. They need a GH5-level release (2-3 years ahead of the competition on specs) but in full-frame. The FS7 changed the trajectory for Sony and wasn't matched on specs and price until the EVA-1, nearly 3-4 years later. They need THAT type of camera now.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wonder if they're also developing new high-end Varicam models... the Varicam 35 & LT are a bit dated now.

I do have a soft spot for Panasonic as I started on a DVX100 and even went through a period shooting on the HPX3700 before large sensors took over.

A full frame L mount would be fun though. If they can come up with a good sensor, the Leica SL lenses would be interesting see on there. That would also be something unique.

Okay - I know this post is going to be unpopular to a certain extent, but here goes - 

I'd love to invest in a cinema camera.  At the moment I make my living using mirrorless cameras.  The possibilities for improving my creative options and technical quality really excite me.  Add to that the convenience of having integrated features like internal ND and XLR sockets, and I would be a very happy customer.

However, there is another important factor motivating me to fork out, what for me would be a major amount of money - it's that sinking feeling I see from new clients when they've hired a filmmaker and I pull out a camera similar to the one they take with them on holiday.

Impressions count, and if I do spend thousands on a piece of equipment, I'd really like it to look like an impressive bit of kit. 

The original EVA1 (which I've rented plenty of times, and really enjoy using) has serious styling problems.  It resembles a 90's camcorder, and not in a cool, retro way.  It might sound superficial, but that, and the build-quality problems at launch (wonky handle), really put me off buying one.

I have some other minor feature requests, but that is the number one thing that stands in the way of me actually purchasing a similar release.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, Mmmbeats said:

The original EVA1 (which I've rented plenty of times, and really enjoy using) has serious styling problems.  It resembles a 90's camcorder, and not in a cool, retro way.  It might sound superficial, but that, and the build-quality problems at launch (wonky handle), really put me off buying one.

That is not a minor quibble when it comes to our clients' confidence in us. We don't need any more hurdles (big or small) to doing our job and "selling" a client (who only knows enough to ask for a Red) on a different camera package gets old fast. If the EVA2 looked more like a baby Varicam, I would be very happy.

I've had to sell a couple clients on the S1H but both have been amazed with the quality next to a C300 II and an FS7 II, both of which I think the S1H image trumps. They didn't ask for anything else the next few times I went with the S1H. Add in that a 24-70mm f2.8 can cover almost every situation on a full-frame and the stabilization is amazing, I can just get better shots and images with the S1H. 

I wonder if they could give us a firmware update to add-in 120fps in 4k. That would put it back in the specs league with the R5 and A7sIII - as it is way more usable and better camera than those two. 

2 hours ago, currensheldon said:

I've had to sell a couple clients on the S1H but both have been amazed with the quality next to a C300 II and an FS7 II, both of which I think the S1H image trumps. They didn't ask for anything else the next few times I went with the S1H. Add in that a 24-70mm f2.8 can cover almost every situation on a full-frame and the stabilization is amazing, I can just get better shots and images with the S1H. 

I wonder if they could give us a firmware update to add-in 120fps in 4k. That would put it back in the specs league with the R5 and A7sIII - as it is way more usable and better camera than those two. 

Put a matte box in front of it. 😉

I think it’s pretty much a given that the EVA2 (if one is to be built) would be L-mount. They would be stupid to put an EF mount on it again as the L-mount can still take EF glass.

I could see them using the 12MP sensor used in the Sony A7SIII perhaps with some tweaks for some extra performance? Who knows. That sensor makes a lot of sense in a EVA2 style camera.

My biggest problem with the EVA2 is the existence of a Canon C70. It’s S35 sensor but a much more interesting camera to me.

If it has new autofocus, internal NDs, DGO, better audio inputs, in the rumored form factor of a “chunky R5 body”. Very interesting...

It also kinda looks like a cinema camera but also doesn’t. Which for me is important because I want a powerful camera that can fly under the radar. That’s why a 6K60p, 4k120p, IBIS, GH6 would be amazing to me. Can get into a lot of places without people thinking you should have a press pass or shooting pass because it looks like you are on a national geo-graphic expedition.

”Oh this...its just my humble family camera for getting the family pictures...for the memories...yes”

On 9/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, Mmmbeats said:

Okay - I know this post is going to be unpopular to a certain extent

I don't think you are wrong at all, and rather that it is indeed very important how you make the client feels, and this factor shouldn't be ignored. 

Disagree though that the EVA1 "looks like a 90's camcorder".

20 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I would buy this L-mount

Wish it has a MFT option, a true AF100 successor... finally! 

But with the launch of L Mount, it seems that ship has finally sailed for good, and now will never ever happen. 

20 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

That is not a minor quibble when it comes to our clients' confidence in us. We don't need any more hurdles (big or small) to doing our job and "selling" a client (who only knows enough to ask for a Red) on a different camera package gets old fast.

This is why it is a tough sell to be convinced to buy anything other than a FS7 (or maaaaybe a C300mk2), because the FS7 is by far the most requested camera in the low/mid range of work. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 7:20 AM, currensheldon said:

Where is their L-Mount, full-frame, highly-specced video camera to compete C300 III, FX9, FX6, C70, and Komodo? Just put the S1H sensor in an EVA-1 like body (hopefully a bit smaller), add in 120fps in 4k, ProRes Raw over HDMI/SDI, and get on with it. 

Where was their MFT Mount camera to compete with the FS7/C300mk2/EVA1??
Just stick the GH5 sensor into the AF100 and get on with it. 

Instead we got an EF Mount Panasonic EVA1.