Removing internal battery resets EOS R5 overheat timer

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

canon-EOS-R5-timer-reset.jpg

"Math Class" on Baidu now has extensive infrared thermometer readings of the camera's mainboard with the back off, showing they correspond closely to the temperature reported in the EXIF data and don't rise above 64C. His next finding is that if you remove the internal battery it resets the so-called overheating limitations. So who is telling the truth now, Canon?

You can view the most recent findings here by the user "Math Class" (Google translated)

Read the full article on EOSHD:

https://www.eoshd.com/8k/removing-internal-battery-resets-eos-r5-overheat-timer-are-canons-pants-now-completely-down/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Sometimes I lose faith in the camera industry completely and think about moving on. Maybe do smartphone camera reviews, now they are at enthusiast level and really quite unique in some regards. But then I realise there is just so much immorality, face saving and arrogance everywhere I look. On the streets, in people's personal lives, in businesses up and down the country, around the world, small and large, that any efforts to correct this or open people's eyes in any small way is basically a teardrop in the sewer.

Apart from the artificial crippling, the consensus is the camera doesn’t actually overheat? What voodoo is in there that the S1H doesn’t have? (which needs a huge vent). 

Thing is, if Canon didn’t do this I would of been a customer of 2 bodies and a bunch of RF lenses. Plus I would of likely picked up an RF cine cam in the future. Just doesn’t make much business sense to me. 

• Administrators

I don't know why it doesn't go above 64C.

We are not semiconductor engineers at the end of the day

There are probably thermal throttling things to add into to the mix, the situation is probably complex.

But there is now mounting evidence that Canon has been completely bullshitting us.

And just to have these limitations in the first place is disappointment enough and loses them a ton of business.

Zero apology.

Possibly shifty, secret recall.

Saving face.

Lying.

Honestly I don't feel like giving any more money to them, do you?!

10 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Thing is, if Canon didn’t do this I would of been a customer of 2 bodies and a bunch of RF lenses. Plus I would of likely picked up an RF cine cam in the future. Just doesn’t make much business sense to me. 

Yes. But if Canon didn't do this, it could be your last camera purchase. 

If I were Cannot, I'd pray to God that I have security measures in place in the R5 to block it from being firmware hacked by the Magic Lantern guys.

If somebody can hack and unlock the R5 software?...customers would be left with one HELL of a nuclear bomb 8k monster beast camera that would TERRIFY Cannot's marketing execs and cine EOS managers.

Yeah....you better pray the R5 does not get hacked.      

On several occasions I have indicated that he will have to make a short documentary about this defective product, a product of the protection policies that Canon has with its line of film cameras. I see it difficult for Canon to apologize, since there is an army of complacent (or paid) youtubers and this audiovisual piece would remain for posterity, reminding us that we must be critical as consumers and showing how fanaticism for brands allows this type of bad practices. A short documentary that serves as an audiovisual memory.

24 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

If somebody can hack and unlock the R5 software?

- Is Canon currently recalling shipped units? Hmmm.

Weld that battery in place for the next batch?

18 minutes ago, Katrikura said:

A short documentary that serves as an audiovisual memory.

Or a nightmare.

• Super Members

Remember this ?

1050383297_ScreenShot2020-07-24at19_13_35.png.3ac4d1ac757b6507e6e399855b9c3604.png

So, again, I find myself thinking that tonight's tweet is a very funny way to spell "Boy we were wrong about this and our sincerest apologies to Andrew for trying to incite you all to pour scorn on him when he raised this on day one".

Shameless.

This is obviously ridiculous on Canon's part and they should be called to account in the court of public opinion (and possibly actual court under consumer law for misleading information).

But.....

You are telling me I can have an unlimited 8k Raw camera (in 20 minute cycles) with DPAF for $4k if I permanently remove the battery?   And the inconvenience is a couple resets of date each time.  I tend not to modify my menus very much anyway.  Honestly given how buggy Magic Lantern was, not sure the set up time is that different. 

Hmmm....

Vacillating between fury and intrigued.