I bought a Canon EOS R5 - potential overheating solutions

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

At the weekend I bought the enigma that is the EOS R5 for myself. Foto-Meyer in Berlin were able to find me a rare unit. A huge thank you to them! What all EOS R5 owners have in common is that they have paid a lot of money for a professional video tool. We pay the money, we get to decide what happens next, and I'll be reaching out to Canon and making this clear. We need to ask them to work on a solution for overheating. It's worse than you can possibly imagine.

Just need to get something straight - my purchase is NOT an endorsement of the EOS R5. I bought it purely to cover the camera on EOSHD and to help work on fixes for the many issues this camera has. It is in no way a dependable tool for 8K, RAW, oversampled 4K, 4k 60p or 4K 120fps in the state that it's in. At the very maximum it is a pixel binned 4K 30p camera similar to the Sony A7R IV with the benefits of Canon's colour science, 10bit codec, top LCD and better ergonomics. Actually that doesn't sound so bad does it?! But this is not how it's sold to us - it is supposed to be a $4k all singing, all dancing, cutting edge 8K/4K video tool and that's how it should perform in the real world.

Read the full blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/i-bought-a-canon-eos-r5-and-it-overheated-in-the-wifi-menu-also-a-look-at-potential-solutions/

EOS R5 teardown-2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The HDMI overheating vs menu overheating is very strange.

It does point to maybe this being an intentional cripple hammer blow. Which could mean good news if canon is willing to fix it and give the camera more acceptable behavior closer to A7SIII.

If they did that do they not understand they would sell an absolute boat load of these cameras and with it a ton of RF glass? Whats their angle for so badly crippling this poor camera?

They gave so much room for Sony to steal away mirrorless sales. Maybe they thought with the success of the EOS R they could get away with selling an EOS R to their customers again with headline grabbing specs that are crippled to the point of being unusable.

Strange, very strange product here.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

The HDMI overheating vs menu overheating is very strange.

It does point to maybe this being an intentional cripple hammer blow. Which could mean good news if canon is willing to fix it and give the camera more acceptable behavior closer to A7SIII.

If they did that do they not understand they would sell an absolute boat load of these cameras and with it a ton of RF glass? Whats their angle for so badly crippling this poor camera?

They gave so much room for Sony to steal away mirrorless sales. Maybe they thought with the success of the EOS R they could get away with selling an EOS R to their customers again with headline grabbing specs that are crippled to the point of being unusable.

Strange, very strange product here.

It is very strange

But if you remember Gerald and Richard's live-view / stills shoot tests where 1 hour in the camera was at 0 mins for 8K without having recorded a single minute, it's a similar thing to what I experienced in the Wifi menu. The menu is just an overlay and the live-view feed is still likely active and being processed, ready to display immediately again when you dismiss the menus with a half press of the shutter.

I think the 4K HQ option gets deactivated when the Ninja V is connected too, which may explain the extended record times to that, because it is pixel binning or even line skipping to the HDMI monitor.

• Administrators

Yes, good question. Why did it get released?

It is baffling.

Management would have known.

Engineering would have known.

Testers should have known - they tested it!

Reviewers soon knew. I found out within an hour that it overheats sitting in the menus with 4K HQ set to on and overheat control set to off.

So it is very confusing to me why it is on shop shelves marketed as a professional C300 III B-cam!

You can speculate and make up your own theories as to why Canon thought they could get away with it, and whether it is intentionally crippled, or buggy, or just incredibly broken at the fundamental LSI level.

• Administrators

Regarding a campaign requesting Canon to fix it I am all ears.

First step should be to reach out and persuade them directly, allow them to realise how seriously their customers view this problem. The petition might be useful to show to Canon in terms of number of people they have upset.

If that fails then the second step should probably be a class action lawsuit. Not sure a petition will change much in that situation but a lawsuit would.

slashcam has tested RS and 8k, 4kHQ is 16ms!!!...... boy they have created what would be the perfect hybrid but nobody can use for video because the recovery times are just insane.

Either is software crippled or it has a big HW flaw.... if the first let's hope they remove/fix if the second why they don't sell a version in a bigger body with a Fan?!? 

8k 30 RAW, 4k oversampled from 8k 10bit with 16ms RS and AF and nobody can take advantage..... what a waste.

Problem is that is a very good photo camera (best canon ever) so even if they do nothing they will sell a ton....

41 minutes ago, Stanly said:

Nope – that is 4K HQ being output to Ninja V for sure

Same guy made a comparison between 4K and 4KHQ and looks like 4K is totally usable. So I will be waiting for Andrew's feedback about it, we could get several workarounds to use this camera in most of the situations.

1 minute ago, Stanly said:

That topic has nothing to do with the issue: R5 in 4KHQ overheats while browsing menus and doesn't when filming externally without a card.

of course it related to find a solution, if we can use an external recorded to get 4KHQ for 4 continuos hours that's obviously a solution to use the camera in fiction, if we also get 4K internal with excellent quality for many hours, then the camera could be also usable in weddings, so we need a test from a reliable source, which for me will be Andrew's review, you have to look the camera as a whole, not by parts.