Jump to content

Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's funny, on the canboy forums prior to launch they were getting *very* excited about the much hyped video specs. Now it's revealed certain modes are basically unusable they're all like: 

'I don't shoot much video anyways, I'm more of a stills guy'.

or

'You can shoot 'safety mode' 4K unlimited'.

Crappy line skipped low quality 4K. Welcome to 2015 and its 4+ grand for the privilege!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/31/2020 at 7:17 AM, Inazuma said:

They could recall for now and perhaps make a firmware update that allows lower quality or line skipping mode that won't heat up the cameras much?

The words "line skipping" or "pixel binning" should never appear in the spec sheet of a premium hybrid camera.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I preordered on day 1 on Focus Camera in the US. I never received the R5 and today August 3, Focus Camera confirms me they did not even receive any unit, and they do not know when they will. 
What an absolute bullshit. 
 

That’s so frustrating. And it’s even more frustrating to think about that A7SIII and its ridiculous 12mpx, plus I was so happy to use a Canon body again. 

Just make it right Canon, correct the issue and ship the bodies. Communicate to customers god damn it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this is correct then a major recall would be required to fix this.  

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/23457/canon-eos-r5-overheating-video-failure/p4

"New rumors from dealer I got

Canon R5 and R6 issues are in part related to severe bug with LSI not being able to lower frequency and enter sleep state where it is required. Chip is also unable to turn of parts that are not required now.

Problem can be with actual chip design with significant defect that require few millions USD to fix and make new masks."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Canon R5 and R6 issues are in part related to severe bug with LSI not being able to lower frequency and enter sleep state where it is required. Chip is also unable to turn of parts that are not required now.

Problem can be with actual chip design with significant defect that require few millions USD to fix and make new masks."

If this was the case, it should really have been detected way before mass production.
It may be possible there is a bug in the final firmware that wasn't in pre-production firmware.
But how would one explain the 2 hour cooldown required? That is the real problem and it is unrelated to any chip design.
If it would cooldown in 5 to 10 minutes, nobody would be speaking about the overheating like they are now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I preordered on day 1 on Focus Camera in the US. I never received the R5 and today August 3, Focus Camera confirms me they did not even receive any unit, and they do not know when they will. 
What an absolute bullshit. 
 

That’s so frustrating. And it’s even more frustrating to think about that A7SIII and its ridiculous 12mpx, plus I was so happy to use a Canon body again. 

Just make it right Canon, correct the issue and ship the bodies. Communicate to customers god damn it.

Yeah, something smells.

28 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

"New rumors from dealer I got

Canon R5 and R6 issues are in part related to severe bug with LSI not being able to lower frequency and enter sleep state where it is required. Chip is also unable to turn of parts that are not required now.

Problem can be with actual chip design with significant defect that require few millions USD to fix and make new masks."

Hmm, sounds like a firmware issue for entering sleep state not a hardware one...I can't think of any hardware problem that would cause this unless the hardware isn't capable in the first place!

They are going to play this off as a supply issue and do a soft recall to avoid brand damage.

I think it will be interesting to weigh a R5 and a "post-recall" R5 in November and see if the weight is different. This means they made significant hardware changes. Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I preordered on day 1 on Focus Camera in the US. I never received the R5 and today August 3, Focus Camera confirms me they did not even receive any unit, and they do not know when they will. 
What an absolute bullshit. 
 

That’s so frustrating. And it’s even more frustrating to think about that A7SIII and its ridiculous 12mpx, plus I was so happy to use a Canon body again. 

Just make it right Canon, correct the issue and ship the bodies. Communicate to customers god damn it.

Does this mean you are going to back to being a Sony fanboy instead now?

5 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

If this was the case, it should really have been detected way before mass production.
It may be possible there is a bug in the final firmware that wasn't in pre-production firmware.
But how would one explain the 2 hour cooldown required? That is the real problem and it is unrelated to any chip design.
If it would cooldown in 5 to 10 minutes, nobody would be speaking about the overheating like they are now.

Tilta seemed to get the fan out suspiciously early!

Who knows what they may have heard from insiders early on?

Firmware is not usually grounds for a recall though. Hardware adjustments are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
33 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

If this is correct then a major recall would be required to fix this.  

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/23457/canon-eos-r5-overheating-video-failure/p4

"New rumors from dealer I got

Canon R5 and R6 issues are in part related to severe bug with LSI not being able to lower frequency and enter sleep state where it is required. Chip is also unable to turn of parts that are not required now.

Problem can be with actual chip design with significant defect that require few millions USD to fix and make new masks."

 

Oops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I would take Vitaliy with a pinch of Black Sea salt with his "rumours from a dealer" on technical matters. I am not sure why any dealer would be in the loop over internal Canon Japan engineering issues, it's not exactly as if the Japanese communicate with them on a deep level.

As we have seen over shipping dates!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Tilta seemed to get the fan out suspiciously early!

Who knows what they may have heard from insiders early on?

Firmware is not usually grounds for a recall though. Hardware adjustments are.

Maybe they did notice the bug or the overheating too late (after production began) but decided to release it anyway.
They were fairly quick to post those max record times before overheating. Maybe they thought they just could get away with it.

Going to buy myself a used EOS R. Low price, no overheating and perfect B-cam for my C100.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Maybe they did notice the bug or the overheating too late (after production began) but decided to release it anyway.
They were fairly quick to post those max record times before overheating. Maybe they thought they just could get away with it.

Going to buy myself a used EOS R. Low price, no overheating and perfect B-cam for my C100.

 

R is still a pretty good 1080p camera with good colour, i guess R5/R6/R are all 1080p cameras in heart, those fancy 4k/8k options are to be used very sparingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-said-eos-r5-shoots-comfortably-on-high-end-production-sets-ideal-partner-to-c300-mark-iii-why-overheating-is-not-on-purpose/

My latest opinion, it's not a cripple hammer moment.

They genuinely wanted this thing to be used by pros on same high-end productions as a Cinema EOS C300 Mark III.

Well that's how it was sold to us in April anyway.

What changed at the last minute? Were the overheating results expected and a surprise to Canon?

Yep, I think so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sad to see DPR back in the apologize for Canon because parent wants to sell cameras. Hey Amazon, whats the cost of returns?

They freaking went to Canada and pretend 27c northern dessert was hot. That's 80.6f barely above room temp.  

Sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went into my local camera store today here in Denmark and asked whether they had received the R5. He told me that they haven't seen any cameras yet and that they were originally promised for mid-June. He suspects that it might be a few months before they see the R5 and R6. According to him, nobody in Scandinavia has received cameras yet at all.

I told him about the overheat issues and the recall rumors, but he hadn't heard anything about that, even though he was on the phone with Canon yesterday.

The fact that none of the Scandinavian countries have received any cameras is a bit strange, but when I look at the major online camera stores here in Denmark, it looks like none of them have the R5 in stock.

What is even more weird is that a few weeks ago I was on the phone with a Canon supporter from Sweden (unrelated to the R5/R6) and he told me that the R5 was very popular and a lot of retailers had shown interest in the cameras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite Canon denying the whole recall story, its not as if stock is getting to stores very quickly.  I recall the hassle the Pocket 4K had in getting stock out with many citing it as bad service and an example of a small company struggling to meet demand.  I would have expected Canon to do better.  With profits down due to Covid, why delay getting cameras out to people who want them.  If they weren't ready to ship to meet preorders, why not wait until they were.  

Maybe they are delaying shipments to quietly address some issues rather than admit them publicly.  When you hear October and November deliveries, it feels a bit odd.  Even worse getting their cameras out than Blackmagic and they were pretty bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

Maybe they are delaying shipments to quietly address some issues rather than admit them publicly. 

I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of guy but I'd say that is what is going on behind the scenes. Has to be...

Yes, a few got their pre-orders, but probably because the brakes weren't applied soon enough.

Even if it's just some minor components, materials, pastes, software etc, I bet they are burning the candle at both ends and the middle at Canon right now.

They might get away with it if they can even half the issue...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...