Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

The wide-angle selfie 30p IBIS autofocus shot is the new "video".

I'd like to get back to cinema.

So today I decided to do an experiment. Found a cheap Nikon D850 for 1500 euros. No IBIS. No AF. Going to use a tripod. Shocking!!

Every time I have AF and IBIS I'm tempted to use it, and it really is inferior to a tripod and manual focus in terms of "cinematic".

So much unmotivated camera movement out there and robotic focus.

Nothing against it as a shot-getter, or for convenience sake but I am tiring of watching it. Floaty, artificial and "YouTubey".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

The truth is that YouTube is going all hive mind (like Reddit or any other social media conglomerate) and any uniqueness becomes monetized, packaged and then replicated to the point of parody. How many people have a “What’s up guys!” intro that is copy and pasted from everyone else? How about the same lighting in their studio background? Same thumbnails, same titles, same content. It’s become junk food ready for mass consumption. Icky.

Agreed. Plenty of room then for intelligent and creative types like us to revolutionise the form, or else it stays this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PaulUsher said:

Agreed. Plenty of room then for intelligent and creative types like us to revolutionise the form, or else it stays this way.

The only thing that I have found that works is: narrative stuff with BTS to show how it was done. The problem is that...it's not a financially stable or viable system. I can afford to do them maybe once a year. Which is totally fine, it just doesn't lead to growth. So, you couldn't really do that as a starting point and expect a channel to grow. Well, maybe you could, I just think it would be tough. 

The nice thing about YouTube is that there are probably 1,000 different ways to do it and still be unique and different. Narrative + BTS isn't the only way, it's just the only thing that's worked on my channel thus far. That and 8K videos 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The wide-angle selfie 30p IBIS autofocus shot is the new "video".

I'd like to get back to cinema.

This. Among other things I’m doing a practice-based PhD researching convergence of UGC-Film forms as well as practices - the project is called Film2.0 ... If we all here experimented, integrating filmic aesthetics and narratives into YouTube content then we’d have the beginnings of a movement that resets the balance and gives us the best of both worlds. Transmedia forms that drive online audiences to our cinema screenings, that deliver filmic content and reach a mass-social-media audience, that allow us autonomy and self-funding. We can dare to dream, can’t we? Maybe this needs its own thread...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd like to get back to cinema.

Which is why, in a completely unpretentious manner, all my work is at minimum off a freestanding monopod.

I am interested in IBIS, but only if I can get a super super steady shot, but even then it annoys me.

It’s like black or white and chalk or cheese, either deliberate camera movement for a reason or the subjects move, but slightly bouncy floaty handheld look I don’t like and it spoils most of Netflix for me because all I am aware of is the camera operator!

On that basis, happy with my XT3 on sticks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

The only thing that I have found that works is: narrative stuff with BTS to show how it was done. The problem is that...it's not a financially stable or viable system. I can afford to do them maybe once a year. Which is totally fine, it just doesn't lead to growth. So, you couldn't really do that as a starting point and expect a channel to grow. Well, maybe you could, I just think it would be tough. 

The nice thing about YouTube is that there are probably 1,000 different ways to do it and still be unique and different. Narrative + BTS isn't the only way, it's just the only thing that's worked on my channel thus far. That and 8K videos 😂

Yes there are lots of ways, narrative + BTS being a good one, each of us would have our own approach, my partner has a online sketch series that parodies Tubers for example, incorporating narrative with traditional product placement,  but yeah it’s a full-time effort, it’s hard to pull off as a sideline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

but slightly bouncy floaty handheld look I don’t like and it spoils most of Netflix for me because all I am aware of is the camera operator!

I've been noticing this more too, I think it's just more practical for episodic stuff though. Going from tripod to gimbal to dolly takes time. So just leave the camera on the gimbal and have the operator stand still for the "tripod shot". That seems to be the logic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canon released a full statement about the overheating issues.

Basically says that the R6 overheats in all recording modes around 20/30 minutes.

And R5 not overheats only in 4K30 full sensor (not oversampling). Every other mode overheats at 20 minutes.

This will be a deal breaker for so many people. I didn't want to believe it at first but wow. Where I live I have +25 degrees Celsius from August to May approximately, with 7 months with 32+c. Damn!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Canon released a full statement about the overheating issues.

Basically says that the R6 overheats in all recording modes around 20/30 minutes.

And R5 not overheats only in 4K30 full sensor (not oversampling). Every other mode overheats at 20 minutes.

This will be a deal breaker for so many people. I didn't want to believe it at first but wow. Where I live I have +25 degrees Celsius from August to May approximately, with 7 months with 32+c. Damn!

Yep this absolutely just screwed sooo many people lol. R6 is out. R5 is a just maybe now but probably not for a hot outdoor wedding. Thinking two 1dx m2s and 1 r5 now but that would be super annoying with ef and rf lenses so maybe just going with 3 used 1dxm2s idk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Canon released a full statement about the overheating issues.

Basically says that the R6 overheats in all recording modes around 20/30 minutes.

And R5 not overheats only in 4K30 full sensor (not oversampling). Every other mode overheats at 20 minutes.

This will be a deal breaker for so many people. I didn't want to believe it at first but wow. Where I live I have +25 degrees Celsius from August to May approximately, with 7 months with 32+c. Damn!

Link?

Sounds strange as official Japanese R6 page states 40-50mm depending on FF/APS-C for 4K30.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Django said:

Link?

Sounds strange as official Japanese R6 page states 40-50mm depending on FF/APS-C for 4K30.

I made a mistake.

R6 overheats an 30/35/40 minutes.

R5 overheats at a minimum of 15 minutes atHQ 4K120 and a maximum of 35 minutes at HQ 4K60

 

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.17.38.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Coiii said:

I made a mistake.

R6 overheats an 30/35/40 minutes.

R5 overheats at a minimum of 15 minutes atHQ 4K120 and a maximum of 35 minutes at HQ 4K60

 

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.17.38.png

Sorry if I missed this, but are there any limitations with 24p? I know the 24/30p modes that aren't oversampled are fine, but what about the oversampled 4k24p or even 8k24p? Most of my shooting is at 4k24p, but it seems the limitations start at 30p and up. TIA.

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Oh, I agree, but I don’t think it will be in this format. This style is on its final legs IMO. Wide angle handheld, talking to the camera, padding run time to get to 10+ minutes. Audiences are slowly catching on to the runtime pads and are being turned off by it. Enough people leave and creators will go back to more condensed content or evolve to actually make meaningful 10+ minute videos.

I applaud your optimism! YouTube is built to punish meaningful 10+ minute videos at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

Sorry if I missed this, but are there any limitations with 24p? I know the 24/30p modes that aren't oversampled are fine, but what about the oversampled 4k24p or even 8k24p? Most of my shooting is at 4k24p, but it seems the limitations start at 30p and up. TIA.

Chris

For this kind of specs they usually go for the most demanding recording modes. I think that the limitations on 4K30 applies to 4K24 as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I've been noticing this more too, I think it's just more practical for episodic stuff though. Going from tripod to gimbal to dolly takes time. So just leave the camera on the gimbal and have the operator stand still for the "tripod shot". That seems to be the logic. 

Or, if not on sticks, we just keep on doing handheld work like it has been done for decades, like in "Breaking the Waves". The handheld camera with eloquent framing rather than floating away from good framing by ibis´ mysterious forces. I trust you that you master this artform of camera operation. Seen it on your channel. Your GH5 video had spiffy operating as well fi.

I don´t care for that camera anymore. Happy with my S1 and looking for those sweet lenses on ebay. Bought a 50 to 200 3.5-4.5 and 45 to 150 3.5! How sweet does that sound. Anyone in heat like an R5 already? 🙂  cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I can't believe there arent any reviews out yet. By the looks of it dozens of people already got one. Are they under an NDA or something. 

Still seems to be an embargo, nobody is sharing raw files, ISO tests, rolling shutter tests and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...