Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

To be honest, slowmo always gives a more cinematic feel, which is why it gets overused, and a cameras motion cadence isn't best judged on slowmo footage anyway, especially if shot at 120fps.  I'd be intrigued to see 24p footage to see how well the camera performs there.

Colours and skins tones are a given for a Canon camera at this price point.  I'd be surprised if they were less than fantastic.

Motion cadence has never been an issue on FF Canons with ALL-I codecs, especially at these high bitrates. 24p will look more than fine rest assured.

Check out Peter McKinnon’s footage for proof.

Also now that we know CLOG3 is coming, DR shouldn’t be much of a concern either.

At this point rolling shutter and ISO performance are the only major unknown variables as far as cons.

CPU/NLE performance for HFR & 8K is also good to know  (I’m on holiday with just a smartphone and shitty connection so keep the info coming folks!) apparently 8K RAW sample footage is coming next from that YT account so stay tuned..

Btw, is that 4K120p footage already slowed down in cam ? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Django said:

Btw, is that 4K120p footage already slowed down in cam ?

Yes, its done in camera.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Also now that we know CLOG3 is coming, DR shouldn’t be much of a concern either.

Yep, pieces starting to fall into place. When I heard they were planning a firmware with clog3 and lower bitrates my fears about possibly buying this camera went down a bit. If the rolling shutter is good in the 4K pixel-binned modes for unlimited recording then its positives outweighs the negatives for me and my usage.

All the negatives suck for sure, but giving the performance of the IBIS, possible DR improvements with Clog3, 4K120p, 10-bit 4:2:2 all around in a canon camera with canon AF and colors...my wallet is the one catching fire at this point. Still going to hold out and see what others are going.

1 minute ago, ade towell said:

The slow mo does look very nice. I thought Clog2 had the high dynamic range, what benefits are Clog3 over standard Clog?

Possible two extra stops DR latitude (clog3 caps out at 14 stops; clog is capped at 12). If the R5 could get close to 13 with clog3 then it will be a very nice camera indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paul Cryer said:

Anyone having issues with Resolve? I can't even get it to see the footage at all. Final Cut works fine.

I wrote about this on page 23 of this thread. A couple of things to try...

  • Make sure you have the latest version: 16.2.4.016
  • Optimize the media clip (right click on clip, there's an option called "optimize media clip".

The latest version is suppose to help clips from the 1DXIII and R5, but I still had to optimize the clip in order for it to play with out hesitating. This is a time consuming option unfortunately. A 20 sec 4k 120p clip on my computer takes about 4 min to process. I think if I were to buy this camera I would have to switch to Final Cut.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ajay said:

I wrote about this on page 23 of this thread. A couple of things to try...

  • Make sure you have the latest version: 16.2.4.016
  • Optimize the media clip (right click on clip, there's an option called "optimize media clip".

The latest version is suppose to help clips from the 1DXIII and R5, but I still had to optimize the clip in order for it to play with out hesitating. This is a time consuming option unfortunately. A 20 sec 4k 120p clip on my computer takes about 4 min to process. I think if I were to buy this camera I would have to switch to Final Cut.

 

Annoyingly it isn't those two things. I've actually made sure I've got the latest version. The program literally can't see the clips. In the Media Pool when I go to add the media, the folder they are in just shows empty. So can't even optimise them or anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Paul Cryer said:

Anyone having issues with Resolve? I can't even get it to see the footage at all. Final Cut works fine.

You need to disable intel quicksync in the preferences of Resolve at least on Windows. H265 4:2:2 10bit are not HW accelared at the moment by Intel and NVIDIA only 4:2:0 of 4:4:4

21 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Ah ok thanks for that. Other than the overheating which is well documented the RS and IBIS are the next things that need testing properly, I've seen some weirdness with the IBIS in some footage so this would need proper investigation

As I never had a camera with IBIS can it be turned off (I think so)? And what is the effect on a gimbal when off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

As I never had a camera with IBIS can it be turned off (I think so)? And what is the effect on a gimbal when off?

Yes ibis can be turned off. I agree with others and IBIS is one area where people will need to test because it’s new to Canon, but it’s also one area where canon can continue to tweak with firmware updates. The cameras that we are seeing footage from now are probably on old firmware as well. I have mostly seen weirdness in wide angle shots, but wide angle is where I have seen weirdness in most my IBIS shots In other cameras. For example on the 24mm side of things with my S1H it had wobble. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zerocool22 said:

Looks like the weakest point of this camera is the codec. How can anyone edit these kind of projects, I cant even playback 2 files smooth, let alone 1000. 

I optimized media in resolve and it was smooth as butter after that. Also, final cut seemed to play it back much more smoothly. But regardless, I agree. Very beefy files. Hopefully that lower bitrate update becomes a reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, crevice said:

I optimized media in resolve and it was smooth as butter after that. Also, final cut seemed to play it back much more smoothly. But regardless, I agree. Very beefy files. Hopefully that lower bitrate update becomes a reality. 

That fixed the playback for me too but can you imagine optimizing longer clips? It would make any serious editing impossible. I'd spend hours optimizing clips. (At least with my computer as it stands.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ajay said:

That fixed the playback for me too but can you imagine optimizing longer clips? It would make any serious editing impossible. I'd spend hours optimizing clips. (At least with my computer as it stands.)

 

Well thats not doable for a pro workflow is it. When you got 4 hours to shoot and 4 hours to edit on a workday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well thats not doable for a pro workflow is it. When you got 4 hours to shoot and 4 hours to edit.

Correct. It is not. It's just another thing to consider when contemplating the purchase of this camera.

What I find strange is that the current version of the software is suppose to work better with 1DXIII and R5 files, yet I did not notice a difference after I upgraded.

Even if the playback issue was to be resolved with another update, the processing time to render is also slow.

So...besides the overheating problem, expensive memory, extra computer storage and now I have to either upgrade my computer or buy a new one or switch to Final Cut Pro....This list of headaches is overwhelming.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ajay said:

Correct. It is not. It's just another thing to consider when contemplating the purchase of this camera.

What I find strange is that the current version of the software is suppose to work better with 1DXIII and R5 files, yet I did not notice a difference after I upgraded.

Even if the playback issue was to be resolved with another update, the processing time to render is also slow.

So...besides the overheating problem, expensive memory, extra computer storage and now I have to either upgrade my computer or buy a new one or switch to Final Cut Pro....This list of headaches is overwhelming.

 

The optimization are for RAW! 

I just updated by notebook and I will re run some test with the 1Dx III files but as I wrote multiple times in multiple topics currently no HW acceleration from Intel or Nvidia for h265 10bit 4:2:2 so you need a really powerful PC..... 

Also you are probably testing 4k 120fps so is 4 times the processing needed than 4k 30fps...... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gt3rs said:



Also you are probably testing 4k 120fps so is 4 times the processing needed than 4k 30fps...... 

But isn't is conformed in camera recording as 24/25/30p.  If so, then you're just importing a slow-motion shot at standard framerate.  I important 75fps video shot this way and that plays fine.  Of course, that is BRAW, which Resolve is made to love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteveV4D said:

But isn't is conformed in camera recording as 24/25/30p.  If so, then you're just importing a slow-motion shot at standard framerate.  I important 75fps video shot this way and that plays fine.  Of course, that is BRAW, which Resolve is made to love.

Not sure how it is done with h265....  today I will try the 4k 30, 4k 60 all-i and ipb and 5.5k RAW 30 and 60 of my 1Dx III on my new machine and report back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...