Panasonic interview - question suggestions

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

It would be nice to have a GH5S with IBIS.

I wonder what they will call the G9 successor. Panasonic G10 was a low-end early camera under the G1. G100 we know about and it tarnishes the entire brand 🙂

So G... what?

Whatever it's called, as the main stills flagship for Micro Four Thirds, a G9 successor will leave room for GH6 to go low-megapixel, good low light like GH5S rather than the 20MP GH5... That is, unless they choose to go down the 8K route!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course any information regarding Panasonic's thoughts regarding the future of Micro Four Thirds would be welcome.

Maybe specifically, with Panasonic possibly becoming the sole standard bearer for the MFT format, have they considered extending the standard to cover an S35 image area?  Like an MFT+ spec.

Or possibly, have they considered releasing a GH series camera with a multi aspect sensor that scales from the standard MFT area up to S35?  I believe JVC did something like this. 

For still photography a larger s35 sensor could also allow for a larger 1:1 aspect ratio image area that would still fit inside the normal MFT image circle as a side benefit for Instagram shooters and other photographers who like that format.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It would be nice to have a GH5S with IBIS.

I wonder what they will call the G9 successor. Panasonic G10 was a low-end early camera under the G1. G100 we know about and it tarnishes the entire brand 🙂

So G... what?

Whatever it's called, as the main stills flagship for Micro Four Thirds, a G9 successor will leave room for GH6 to go low-megapixel, good low light like GH5S rather than the 20MP GH5... That is, unless they choose to go down the 8K route!

Maybe Panasonic will finally embrace the "mk2" style of naming, and call it the "G9 mk2"??

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

As the odds of a "DVX300" with IBIS is low, wouldn't it be better for it to have the GH5S internals?

The whole crop factor thing is interesting. Because within APS-C (APS-H) alone, there are like 4 different crop factors (from 1.73x to 1.29x)

I also clearly remember the debate about the GH2 having a 1.86x crop, instead of a 2.0x crop (for video, instead of for photos?). I also read somewhere that the Panasonic GH5s has an even wider crop (1.80-1.83x?).

I am not sure the argument about the sensor of the GH5s being too large for IBIS seems correct, then. Panasonic could, then, easily fit such a multi-aspect ration sensor (MARS) inside the next GH Camera (GH6). They could keep the MP count at 20, since I am guessing that with the latest sensor tech, the low light video performance should be extremely similar to the GH5s. The GH5s doesn't seem very good for stills in low light, surprisingly, so the GH6 could have an advantage over it here (apart from the IBIS and higher MP count.

Also, since the actual area size of sensors isn't much different between APS-C and M43 (most noticeably varying in width, rather than height), especially for MARS, the actual dynamic range and low light performance, too, theoretically, shouldnt be too different. 

Sensor-Sizes-and-Crop-Factors.png

Future of USB-C and power/charge/record?

Let the user set bit-rate for the need rather then one or two settings tops.

Internal storage? One chip NVMe have really come a long way. Just shoot internally and offload to USB drive, it's 2020 already. Heck I would even accept that as battery grip option with NVMe slot.

6 hours ago, JBraddock said:

Rather than providing a clean feed window for live streaming in their tether application , which is then to be captured by a streaming software,  do they have any plan to enable a webcam mode in their cameras, similar to what Canon, Fujifilm and more recently Olympus have done?

They already have a webcam mode for a few of their cameras (GH5, GH5s, and probably G9). 

I would like to see a GH6 with something like a modified version of that rumored 42 (or was it 56?) MP quad-Bayer STARVIS sensor.

Where we could have the possibility for a high MP photo mode and a quad-Bayer, dual gain, or dual gain output video mode for 4K24p to 120p. Unlimited recording in ALL-I and IPB. Oversampled 4K and 1080p.

The R5 and A7SIII will set the bar, hopefully Panasonic can jump over it with the GH6 because in my opinion they will need to to stay relevant in todays market. Sony and Canon are now sitting at the 10-bit 4K table and looking at Panasonics lunch.

I'd like know if there is a GH6 planed to be released?

I'd also like to know if it would be possible on the GH6 to have an HDMI output while recording internal anamorphic opengate mode.

This would be really usefully for focusing.

I LOVE my GH5!

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

The R5 and A7SIII will set the bar, hopefully Panasonic can jump over it with the GH6 because in my opinion they will need to to stay relevant in todays market. Sony and Canon are now sitting at the 10-bit 4K table and looking at Panasonics lunch.

Panasonic doesn't necessarily have to leap ahead of the competition, like they did with the GH4 & GH5.

If Panasonic can simply broadly meet the challenge of the R5/a7Smk3 (so doesn't necessarily have to have 8K, but say give us 6K to appease the "K obsessed fanatics", better slow motion of 4K 160fps with lots of trigger record options, and work with Atomos for ProResRAW. All of these easily achievable even with their current GH5 sensor! Doesn't need a radical leap forward by Panasonic), then Panasonic can have a hit on their hands even against the tough 2020/2021 competition so long as they keep the GH6 priced sub $2K. (ideally I'd say they should even price it a little lower than simply $1995, say $1.8K so that it is closer in price to the Fuji X-T4)

As many of us would happily take an epic Panasonic GH6 for sub $2K vs a $4K Canon/Sony

Plus remember there are great things in the GH5/GH5S (and thus the GH6) that I bet not even all the new Sony/Canons will match: Timecode, full size HDMI, waveform monitoring, DMW-XLR1, compactness, anamorphic features, excellent IBIS, etc

Not giving up in believing in Panasonic yet!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Panasonic doesn't necessarily have to leap ahead of the competition, like they did with the GH4 & GH5.

If Panasonic can simply broadly meet the challenge of the R5/a7Smk3 (so doesn't necessarily have to have 8K, but say give us 6K to appease the "K obsessed fanatics", better slow motion of 4K 160fps with lots of trigger record options, and work with Atomos for ProResRAW. All of these easily achievable even with their current GH5 sensor! Doesn't need a radical leap forward by Panasonic), then Panasonic can have a hit on their hands even against the tough 2020/2021 competition so long as they keep the GH6 priced sub $2K. (ideally I'd say they should even price it a little lower than simply $1995, say $1.8K so that it is closer in price to the Fuji X-T4)

As many of us would happily take an epic Panasonic GH6 for sub $2K vs a $4K Canon/Sony

Plus remember there are great things in the GH5/GH5S (and thus the GH6) that I bet not even all the new Sony/Canons will match: Timecode, full size HDMI, waveform monitoring, DMW-XLR1, compactness, anamorphic features, excellent IBIS, etc

Not giving up in believing in Panasonic yet!

I'm not giving up on believing they can deliver something. It's just that the market has changed and having reliable AF available (doesn't mean you have to use it!) is becoming a must-have feature these days.

Just having a really solid, rich 6K or 4K image and the ability to do ProRes RAW via HDMI isn't as appealing anymore when (pending more hands-on tests) the R5/R6/A7SIII gives us that and solid AF.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, it's becoming hard and harder to look the other way on Panasonics AF woes when the competition is starting to offer features that pretty much use to be the sole domain of GH4/GH5 in the sub $3K market.

So they need to kinda have something compelling if their AF is bottom tier, hence my questions I wrote in this thread for Andrew to potentially ask. What's their plan?...because I have fairly expensive MFT gear, and with Olympus out of the game, and the camera industry contracting like it is, I'm evaluating what system to spend my hard earned cash in for the next 5+ years. It's important they have a clear answer.

22 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I'm not giving up on believing they can deliver something. It's just that the market has changed and having reliable AF available (doesn't mean you have to use it!) is becoming a must-have feature these days.

Panasonic seems to be making steady progress (but too slow progress for some) with improving AF, as the latest firmware for the G9/GH5 shows. 

I reckon if Panasonic really focused (ha!) on nailing down the best performance they can for the sub 2m range of focusing (how about if there was an option to set the max focus distance during AF? That would fix the error of how sometimes AF snaps to the background instead of yourself) this would at least make happy 90% of the YouTubers / social influencers / reviewers, and do wonders to help marketing the push for the new GH6 (a pity it is too late and they missed the boat with the G100). 

14 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Agreed. I want better AF if only so people stop complaining! Ha ha

So true, and often people obsessively focus on a system's "weakest link" (ignoring the overall big picture), and AF seems to be Panasonic's "weakest link" so any improvement at all here will for many people lift in their eyes their opinion of the entire system. 

No point even bringing out crazy 16K 60fps (won't happen! But just saying) if people stay obsessively focused on your "weakest link" in all the reviews. 

Just now, IronFilm said:

Panasonic seems to be making steady progress (but too slow progress for some) with improving AF, as the latest firmware for the G9/GH5 shows. 

I reckon if Panasonic really focused (ha!) on nailing down the best performance they can for the sub 2m range of focusing (how about if there was an option to set the max focus distance during AF? That would fix the error of how sometimes AF snaps to the background instead of yourself) this would at least make happy 90% of the YouTubers / social influencers / reviewers, and do wonders to help marketing the push for the new GH6 (a pity it is too late and they missed the boat with the G100). 

Maybe. I fear the stigma over DfD cannot be overcome regardless of the future performance improvements.