Jump to content
androidlad

Raspberry Pi Releases an Interchangeable-lens Camera Module

Recommended Posts

363008a0-8ab6-11ea-b4af-18b4061450c8&cli

https://www.engadget.com/raspberry-pi-12-megapixel-c-mount-camera-084145607.html

It uses IMX477, a BSI & stacked 1/2.3" 12MP sensor.

It's capable of full 12MP readout at 60fps with 10bit ADC, and 40fps with 12bit ADC.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX477-AACK_Flyer.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really exciting, but it only outputs up to 30fps 1080p (non raw) video. The API seems quite clunky, the way of getting raw data is by appending it to a JPEG file, so who knows if a raw video steam is possible.

Hopefully the camera's firmware is open source...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this can output a RAW video stream, then camera hackers everywhere will begin churning out truly interesting products...  digital bolex, remotely cinematic action cameras, etc etc...  

the price of C-mount lenses will also rise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

If this can output a RAW video stream, then camera hackers everywhere will begin churning out truly interesting products...  digital bolex

This won't come even close to being a successor to the Digital Bolex D16, as its sensor is too teeny tiny, perhaps though a "Digital Bolex D8"??? 

This has a "crop factor" of around 5.6x

S16 has a crop factor of nearly 3x, thus S8 is I guess around ish nearly 6x?? Similar to the 1/2.3" crop factor of 5.6x that this Raspberry Pi camera has. 


Hopefully generation v2.0 of this has a 2/3" or 1" sensor? At least then you've got a good chance at pulling off shallow DoF shots when you want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This won't come even close to being a successor to the Digital Bolex D16, as its sensor is too teeny tiny, perhaps though a "Digital Bolex D8"??? 

This has a "crop factor" of around 5.6x

S16 has a crop factor of nearly 3x, thus S8 is I guess around ish nearly 6x?? Similar to the 1/2.3" crop factor of 5.6x that this Raspberry Pi camera has. 


Hopefully generation v2.0 of this has a 2/3" or 1" sensor? At least then you've got a good chance at pulling off shallow DoF shots when you want to. 

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.   Imagine if the ML guys decided to make an open-source camera on this platform, where anyone could develop the algorithms to process the RAW image data coming off the sensor..  @Sage or @Juan Melara having full control of the colour science, debayer algorithms, etc.  Dual exposures for high DR, and all manner of computational photography options.  Think of all the cool things that smartphone apps can do that your video camera can't do.  This could enable all that stuff and more.

It would make a pretty good form-factor too, especially for places where it's difficult to mount anything, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kye said:

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.   Imagine if the ML guys decided to make an open-source camera on this platform, where anyone could develop the algorithms to process the RAW image data coming off the sensor..  @Sage or @Juan Melara having full control of the colour science, debayer algorithms, etc.  Dual exposures for high DR, and all manner of computational photography options.  Think of all the cool things that smartphone apps can do that your video camera can't do.  This could enable all that stuff and more.

It would make a pretty good form-factor too, especially for places where it's difficult to mount anything, etc.  

Exactly. I'm think ML style digital 8 action camera. I'd make a little waterhousing for it, it would be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.  

My point was that I doubt the Digital Bolex D16 would have seen even half of its (limited) success if it had been a 1/2.3" sensor instead of a Super 16mm sized sensor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/2.3" is like a Pentax Q, and some people like @Mattias Burling can show off what that sensor can do pretty well. A small sensor doesn't mean a bad image. D-mount lenses have a character all of their own.

I think we'll be seeing more sensor sizes, more modules, more mounts in future... And an exciting explosion in at-home camera building and image processing.

If you combine something like Magic Lantern and Digital Bolex, with rapid prototyping for body designs and nice ergonomics - wooden grips, and so on, you have the recipe for a very usable DIY cine camera indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

Specs here imply it does output RAW?

  • Sony IMX477R stacked, back-illuminated sensor, 12.3 megapixels, 7.9 mm sensor diagonal, 1.55 μm × 1.55 μm pixel size
  • Ouput: RAW12/10/8, COMP8 
  • Back focus: Adjustable (12.5 mm–22.4 mm)
  • Lens standards: C-mount, CS-mount (C-CS adapter included)
  • IR cut filter: Integrated
  • Ribbon cable length: 200 mm
  • Tripod mount: 1/4”-20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

Specs here imply it does output RAW?

  • Sony IMX477R stacked, back-illuminated sensor, 12.3 megapixels, 7.9 mm sensor diagonal, 1.55 μm × 1.55 μm pixel size
  • Ouput: RAW12/10/8, COMP8 
  • Back focus: Adjustable (12.5 mm–22.4 mm)
  • Lens standards: C-mount, CS-mount (C-CS adapter included)
  • IR cut filter: Integrated
  • Ribbon cable length: 200 mm
  • Tripod mount: 1/4”-20

Yes obviously, those RAW formats are standard in MIPI CSI-2 interface protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I see. But is it bayer RAW, can it be recorded to a card, or doesn't the SDK / LSI handle it?

On the Pi the max video recoding seems 1080p.

On Pi 4 via usb 3 you could connect a ssd so saving on storage would be possible.

I believe the CSI is 4 Gbits/s so if I did the math right it should fit 12bit x 12mpix x 24fps not sure if the CSI is the bottle neck.

D1E6340B-BF48-4977-9B69-AEDA1DFF222B.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone smart shuold just make the HDMI port able to handle RAW to a Ninja or something.

But if this can do 720p50 out with HDMI it would be a great fill camera for studio. Or 1080 if you are into that.

*edit*

On a related note, do anyone have a good way of output camera to HDMI? Preferably with some way to change settings remotely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want Pentax (Ricoh) to put that sensor in a Pentax Q.     One of the most fun camera I have ever used.     Mine died way too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

On the Pi the max video recoding seems 1080p.

On Pi 4 via usb 3 you could connect a ssd so saving on storage would be possible.

I believe the CSI is 4 Gbits/s so if I did the math right it should fit 12bit x 12mpix x 24fps not sure if the CSI is the bottle neck.

D1E6340B-BF48-4977-9B69-AEDA1DFF222B.png

That looks interesting. 2028x 1520 4:3 in 48fps Raw would suit my needs well. I don't even need a screen, just ability to record to SD. That could be a pretty small package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...