GX80 in 2020? Graded AVCHD 24mbit 24p 28mbit 60p!

canonlyme

Hey Guys,

Since starting in this forum I progressed from the GX80 to buying a Pocket 4k which I use for all documentary shoots and trying to built a showreel. 
Meanwhile, the non rigged out GX80 is way easier to take on trips and fun shoots and I still think it is one of the most underrated cameras in terms of price/performance.

For the last trip to Loen in Norway (where a rock falling into the lake caused a 70m wave extinguishing to villages in early 1900), I took the gx80. Normally I shoot CINE D with all settings around -2, but this time I decided to shoot a dialed down natural, and furthermore I heard on youtube that AVCHD supposedly holds up way better to grading. So I tested it and used the internal noise reduction and grain from davinci. 

What do you think? I am quite pleased with what I can get out of the 24mbit files, even with several nodes, vignettes etc. The opinion is well established that the Full HD on the gx80 seemed to look softer than on the g85 or g7. Even the slow-mo to me looks way better than what I am used to from the 24mbit 60p in mp4. 
Way easier to edit than 4k as well and easy on the storage. 

At 250 Dollars or Euros used, often including a lens, I think this camera is still a steal, especially for people in the mft ecosystem who need a second/third camera. In my backpocket I had a tascam dr05 to record audio and a short interview with a habitant of one of those villages. 

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (36).png

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (18).png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can fully agree - both GX80 and G80 seem to be great B-cams or a 'throw-it-in-your-backpack' alternatives, which video creators didn't really notice.
IMHO, they could be easily intercut with GHx series and I doubt anyone would notice.

I like your results very much, they look quite similar to what GHAlex offers - soft, yet vibrant and natural look.
Congrats!

@canonlyme GX85 produces a great image if graded or with right in camera look. I don´t like the HD as much as from G7 or G6, with a bit too much aliasing to my taste. In super low light noise reduction makes everything mushy. Other than that great camera and my to go little film friend. Now, if it´s ok for you to share your video, would be very cool to see your colors fly in motion.:) cheers

52 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I can fully agree - both GX80 and G80 seem to be great B-cams or a 'throw-it-in-your-backpack' alternatives, which video creators didn't really notice.
IMHO, they could be easily intercut with GHx series and I doubt anyone would notice.

I like your results very much, they look quite similar to what GHAlex offers - soft, yet vibrant and natural look.
Congrats!

I use both the GX85 and G85 with my GH5 and indeed, they all match wonderfully :)

37 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@canonlyme GX85 produces a great image if graded or with right in camera look. I don´t like the HD as much as from G7 or G6, with a bit too much aliasing to my taste. In super low light noise reduction makes everything mushy. Other than that great camera and my to go little film friend. Now, if it´s ok for you to share your video, would be very cool to see your colors fly in motion.:) cheers

Of course, I will share the video. I agree with you. Though with AVCHD I did not see my image break apart nearly as fast as I am used to. But knowing the noise level I also tried overexposing 1 or 2 stops, so I exposed to the right while still trying to fill the histogram. 

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Congrats!

Thanks :) Indeed I made a vibrance note, because it is a great way to increase the look without going to far. I used a key to pick the less saturated part, skipped the skin tones and desaturated the rest.   

Screenshot (57).png

• Administrators

Has anybody tried taking the IR cut filter out of their GX85 yet

I did for the EOSHD low budget camera challenge

I broke mine but second attempt went well on a body I found for under £200.

Should really share that footage some day

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Has anybody tried taking the IR cut filter out of their GX85 yet

I did for the EOSHD low budget camera challenge

I broke mine but second attempt went well on a body I found for under £200.

Should really share that footage some day

I'd also be keen to see that.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, heart0less said:

What was your motivation to remove it in the first place? 

Just an experiment really. I had a visible light cut filter for my lens and wanted to shoot the piece only in infrared wavelength

Also had memories of taking out the AA filter from the 5D3 back in the day which let some more IR into the image, when mixed with normal light it gives you a nice warmth to certain colours and brings up the shadows.

I also use the GX85 as a b-cam / backup to my GH5S.  Works really well.  Gives me access to IBIS too!

The image is very good.  It's feature-packed.  Obviously where it lacks is in overall ergonomics and usability as it's a little compact thing, and thus a bit fiddly.  But I can squeeze it into awkward places, carry it on hikes and trips, and throw it into my camera bag as a virtually weight-free backup body.  Awesome.  

5 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Obviously where it lacks is in overall ergonomics and usability as it's a little compact thing

Awesome thread! For a camera this size it has very good ergos I must say. So in its own right, it is one of the coolest cameras for the cinematic moments on the fly. Almost a 4k pocket cinema like Andrew wrote in his review. It only lacks in super low light with mushy noise reduction and high light roll off for the perfect perfect "cinematic image". I think it produces a "rec709 cinema image" if one can say that.:) @Andrew Reid Hallo Andrew, like the posters before me, I would enjoy to see your IR footage with this camera. Btw, the black and white image is nice in L Monochrom, with extreme color temperature  and a bit of Davinci.

• 1 month later...