Jump to content

GX80 in 2020? Graded AVCHD 24mbit 24p 28mbit 60p!


canonlyme
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys,

Since starting in this forum I progressed from the GX80 to buying a Pocket 4k which I use for all documentary shoots and trying to built a showreel. 
Meanwhile, the non rigged out GX80 is way easier to take on trips and fun shoots and I still think it is one of the most underrated cameras in terms of price/performance.

For the last trip to Loen in Norway (where a rock falling into the lake caused a 70m wave extinguishing to villages in early 1900), I took the gx80. Normally I shoot CINE D with all settings around -2, but this time I decided to shoot a dialed down natural, and furthermore I heard on youtube that AVCHD supposedly holds up way better to grading. So I tested it and used the internal noise reduction and grain from davinci. 

What do you think? I am quite pleased with what I can get out of the 24mbit files, even with several nodes, vignettes etc. The opinion is well established that the Full HD on the gx80 seemed to look softer than on the g85 or g7. Even the slow-mo to me looks way better than what I am used to from the 24mbit 60p in mp4. 
Way easier to edit than 4k as well and easy on the storage. 

At 250 Dollars or Euros used, often including a lens, I think this camera is still a steal, especially for people in the mft ecosystem who need a second/third camera. In my backpocket I had a tascam dr05 to record audio and a short interview with a habitant of one of those villages. 

 

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (36).png

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (18).png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can fully agree - both GX80 and G80 seem to be great B-cams or a 'throw-it-in-your-backpack' alternatives, which video creators didn't really notice.
IMHO, they could be easily intercut with GHx series and I doubt anyone would notice.

I like your results very much, they look quite similar to what GHAlex offers - soft, yet vibrant and natural look.
Congrats!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@canonlyme GX85 produces a great image if graded or with right in camera look. I don´t like the HD as much as from G7 or G6, with a bit too much aliasing to my taste. In super low light noise reduction makes everything mushy. Other than that great camera and my to go little film friend. Now, if it´s ok for you to share your video, would be very cool to see your colors fly in motion.:) cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I can fully agree - both GX80 and G80 seem to be great B-cams or a 'throw-it-in-your-backpack' alternatives, which video creators didn't really notice.
IMHO, they could be easily intercut with GHx series and I doubt anyone would notice.

I like your results very much, they look quite similar to what GHAlex offers - soft, yet vibrant and natural look.
Congrats!

I use both the GX85 and G85 with my GH5 and indeed, they all match wonderfully :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@canonlyme GX85 produces a great image if graded or with right in camera look. I don´t like the HD as much as from G7 or G6, with a bit too much aliasing to my taste. In super low light noise reduction makes everything mushy. Other than that great camera and my to go little film friend. Now, if it´s ok for you to share your video, would be very cool to see your colors fly in motion.:) cheers

Of course, I will share the video. I agree with you. Though with AVCHD I did not see my image break apart nearly as fast as I am used to. But knowing the noise level I also tried overexposing 1 or 2 stops, so I exposed to the right while still trying to fill the histogram. 

 

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

I can fully agree - both GX80 and G80 seem to be great B-cams or a 'throw-it-in-your-backpack' alternatives, which video creators didn't really notice.
IMHO, they could be easily intercut with GHx series and I doubt anyone would notice.

I like your results very much, they look quite similar to what GHAlex offers - soft, yet vibrant and natural look.
Congrats!

Thanks :) Indeed I made a vibrance note, because it is a great way to increase the look without going to far. I used a key to pick the less saturated part, skipped the skin tones and desaturated the rest.   

Screenshot (57).png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Has anybody tried taking the IR cut filter out of their GX85 yet

I did for the EOSHD low budget camera challenge

I broke mine but second attempt went well on a body I found for under £200.

Should really share that footage some day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Has anybody tried taking the IR cut filter out of their GX85 yet

I did for the EOSHD low budget camera challenge

I broke mine but second attempt went well on a body I found for under £200.

Should really share that footage some day

I'd also be keen to see that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
4 hours ago, heart0less said:

What was your motivation to remove it in the first place? 

Just an experiment really. I had a visible light cut filter for my lens and wanted to shoot the piece only in infrared wavelength

Also had memories of taking out the AA filter from the 5D3 back in the day which let some more IR into the image, when mixed with normal light it gives you a nice warmth to certain colours and brings up the shadows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also use the GX85 as a b-cam / backup to my GH5S.  Works really well.  Gives me access to IBIS too!

The image is very good.  It's feature-packed.  Obviously where it lacks is in overall ergonomics and usability as it's a little compact thing, and thus a bit fiddly.  But I can squeeze it into awkward places, carry it on hikes and trips, and throw it into my camera bag as a virtually weight-free backup body.  Awesome.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Obviously where it lacks is in overall ergonomics and usability as it's a little compact thing

Awesome thread! For a camera this size it has very good ergos I must say. So in its own right, it is one of the coolest cameras for the cinematic moments on the fly. Almost a 4k pocket cinema like Andrew wrote in his review. It only lacks in super low light with mushy noise reduction and high light roll off for the perfect perfect "cinematic image". I think it produces a "rec709 cinema image" if one can say that.:) @Andrew Reid Hallo Andrew, like the posters before me, I would enjoy to see your IR footage with this camera. Btw, the black and white image is nice in L Monochrom, with extreme color temperature  and a bit of Davinci.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...