Jump to content

Would you swap your NX1 for an X-T4?


tomsemiterrific

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Honestly the XT-3 was already ahead of the NX1 in everything except ergonomics, XT-4 far surpasses that with IBIS, LOG, and far better rolling shutter performance. 

Only thing that the NX1 beats it at is the body design.

Thanks for your comments--they are well received and considered.

How did you like the IBIS of the NX1? I'm really attracted to the ergonomics and the sharp, clean footage I've seen. LOG is not that important to me---I have several cams that can do that. But nothing that looks that clean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Thanks for your comments--they are well received and considered.

How did you like the IBIS of the NX1? I'm really attracted to the ergonomics and the sharp, clean footage I've seen. LOG is not that important to me---I have several cams that can do that. But nothing that looks that clean.

The NX1 have no IBIS but EIS with some warping. But is good for static shoots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I've not got an X-T4 yet but it looks very good.

Although it's not quite the revolution people expected. I'd rather get an X-H2... Who knows if there will be one though.

I always preferred the X-H1 and NX1 handling and ergonomics to the X-T3 / X-T4 style body.

The latter are also really well built, superb pro quality high-end feel in the hand whereas the X-T series always felt a bit lightweight.

X-T4 seems to have some subtle improvements ergonomically

But the NX1 nailed the "mirrorless DSLR" feel in terms of responsiveness and direct control.

The NX1 image is amazing in 4K, stands up very well in 2020 especially with the high bitrate hack. It can't really do ISO 6400 and above though.

In many ways it was 4-5 years ahead of the game.

It is also an exceptional stills camera.

I wouldn't swap my NX1 for the X-T4. I'd buy the Fuji first and decide if I like it, then go back to the NX1 if not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I've not got an X-T4 yet but it looks very good.

Although it's not quite the revolution people expected. I'd rather get an X-H2... Who knows if there will be one though.

I always preferred the X-H1 and NX1 handling and ergonomics to the X-T3 / X-T4 style body.

The latter are also really well built, superb pro quality high-end feel in the hand whereas the X-T series always felt a bit lightweight.

X-T4 seems to have some subtle improvements ergonomically

But the NX1 nailed the "mirrorless DSLR" feel in terms of responsiveness and direct control.

The NX1 image is amazing in 4K, stands up very well in 2020 especially with the high bitrate hack. It can't really do ISO 6400 and above though.

In many ways it was 4-5 years ahead of the game.

It is also an exceptional stills camera.

I wouldn't swap my NX1 for the X-T4. I'd buy the Fuji first and decide if I like it, then go back to the NX1 if not.

Andrew, Thanks so much for your candor---and objectivity, that's always appreciated.
I love what I see of the NX-1 footage---so clean and sharp without looking over sharpened or unnatural looking---with great  color. 
What I've learned from shooting the Nikon Z6 is how great it is to shoot a camera where everything, ergonomically, is just "there." 
It really facilitates ease in shooting. For all the lacks and deficiencies of the Z6, it's a great camera to use with decent stabilization with non-electric lenses. That is why I'm looking so closely at the NX1...ease and facility in shooting is everything run and gun. But the lack of IBIS concerns me. Can it feasibly be hand held with third party, non-electronic lenses??
Does it work well with a viewfinder---like the Zacuto?? I noted activation of "peaking" (which I find essential) is on the touch screen. Can it be activated in the menu without having to touch the screen?
Also, I understand the lenses are all fly-by-wire MF. That's a deal breaker for me as I very seldom use AF of any kind in hand held shooting. At least my Nikon has F mount lenses that have mechanical MF---and decent focus wheels...not as good as the Canon FDs, but decent.

Basically, I think your final advice is sage---and that is why I'll probably do it. I think I'm finished with my inquiry if you have a moment to address the few additional questions I just posted above. Thanks so much--very helpful.
Here's a video that piqued my interest in the NX-1----I think this guy's from France.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a used nx1 body, but that's because I already own one and all of the samsung lenses.

If I were buying today, I wouldn't buy into the system unless I was absolutely sure that's what I wanted or if I found a really good deal. I'd go fuji, sony, m43, or stick with the Nikon Z stuff.

Honestly, I'll probably buy into Nikon Z this year or next depending on how the system evolves. 

I love the samsung stuff and the results I get from it. None of it is going anywhere at this point.

The lenses are all very very good. The native lenses are one of the biggest reasons I'm still with the system.

They are focus by wire, but the responsiveness is adjustable in the menus and I don't mind it. The autofocus on the S Zoom lenses and some others is pretty fantastic and has been my main way of working with the camera for live events and run and gun. There's some faults to the autofocus system, but once you learn it, it's strengths are there and are very strong.

You can set up peaking and turn it on or off from the menu. Then, you only need to turn the focus ring to get peaking to show up. This works with native or adapted lenses.

I've hooked up monitors view HDMI and it's fine. Not great, but definitely should work fine with the zacuto EVF.

The EVF and LCD on the nx1 are both really, really good. I've been very content using just those.

You can hand hold the camera, but again, 95% of the time I'm using the native lenses, some of which have good IS.

I love the camera, it really has been amazing and fun to use and because of my situation and the size/depth of my NX collection, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, but we're a long time away from these cameras being new and it was discontinued when I bought into the system. 

It's great for what it is, but buy the Fuji or something else that's still supported/manufactured unless you get a good deal and know that this is exactly what you want. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

I just bought a used nx1 body, but that's because I already own one and all of the samsung lenses.

If I were buying today, I wouldn't buy into the system unless I was absolutely sure that's what I wanted or if I found a really good deal. I'd go fuji, sony, m43, or stick with the Nikon Z stuff.

Honestly, I'll probably buy into Nikon Z this year or next depending on how the system evolves. 

I love the samsung stuff and the results I get from it. None of it is going anywhere at this point.

The lenses are all very very good. The native lenses are one of the biggest reasons I'm still with the system.

They are focus by wire, but the responsiveness is adjustable in the menus and I don't mind it. The autofocus on the S Zoom lenses and some others is pretty fantastic and has been my main way of working with the camera for live events and run and gun. There's some faults to the autofocus system, but once you learn it, it's strengths are there and are very strong.

You can set up peaking and turn it on or off from the menu. Then, you only need to turn the focus ring to get peaking to show up. This works with native or adapted lenses.

I've hooked up monitors view HDMI and it's fine. Not great, but definitely should work fine with the zacuto EVF.

The EVF and LCD on the nx1 are both really, really good. I've been very content using just those.

You can hand hold the camera, but again, 95% of the time I'm using the native lenses, some of which have good IS.

I love the camera, it really has been amazing and fun to use and because of my situation and the size/depth of my NX collection, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, but we're a long time away from these cameras being new and it was discontinued when I bought into the system. 

It's great for what it is, but buy the Fuji or something else that's still supported/manufactured unless you get a good deal and know that this is exactly what you want. 

 

 

 

Thanks a bunch for all the info. Super helpful. My plan would be to use third party lenses. I really dislike AF for the shooting I do. How do you think it would hold up stabilization-wise with 3rd party lenses?

also, has anyone made an electronic ef to nx adapter that would support canon lenses with stabilization?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Thanks a bunch for all the info. Super helpful. My plan would be to use third party lenses. I really dislike AF for the shooting I do. How do you think it would hold up stabilization-wise with 3rd party lenses?

also, has anyone made an electronic ef to nx adapter that would support canon lenses with stabilization?

You won't get any good stabilization with adapted lenses, and no electronic adapters are available.

To be frank, do NOT buy into this system if your not using native lenses. Period. Buy a used XT-2, or an A7rII, or a Panasonic GH4. All are better options with better features, extensive 3rd party adapters, and a path forward with future cameras. 

Edit: I'm a gigantic NX1 fan, but the rolling shutter on it is horrible if don't have some kind of stabilization. I think the 16-50 and 50-150 are two of the best lenses ever made with incredible AF. If you take them and the AF out of the equation the camera is not worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't compare to the XT4 but swapped my NX1 for an XT3.

NX1 ergonomics and menu is far better. Lowlight is better in the Fuji and you'll get 4K 60P (if you're interested in that). 120 fps in the Samsung was surely usuable (and with audio). I'm a hobbyist so I don't use my camera daily but it has taken me a year to get used to the Fuji. Mostly do videos.

I don't regret switching but retrospectively I could easily have gotten more out the NX for a few years. Should mentioned that I used native NX lenses. The stabilization with 16-50s 2-2.8 is superb. Used that lens 90% of the time even though I had Luca's speedbooster. Only thing comparable for the Fuji is 16-80mm (which is f4). I agree with @Geoff CB  that the system requires native lenses. Question is if it's worth going the NX route at this point (and I'm saying this as a big NX fan). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The system is dead and cameras are evolving every year, so I wouldn't buy it now.

With that said,

The great advantage of the system are its lenses. Great pancakes 30mm fish, 16mm, 20mm, 30mm, great all arounder 16-50PZ lens, small and cheap 12-24mm, pro 16-50mm 2-2.8f, the 50-150mm, creamy 85mm 1.4f, 60 macro and many others.

Personally, NX3000 with the 16-50PZ on a leather case for throw anywhere stuff/NX500 for every day or even as 2-3-4-5 camera in multicams and usually have the 10mm fish eye, 30mm or the 12-24mm on that, great and light  landscape combo with the NX 28mgpxls and tonality. 2 NX1 for pro stuff usually with the 16-50S and the 45mm - amazing portraits lens. Still use on occasion any of the others or a 50-200 and a 18-200 (this is the worst lens of the system, but convinient for video with silent and very good touch/AF and great OIS and is my do-it-all-do-not-care lens when I shoot in the beach, or in boats, e.t.c).

I bought the P4K as a stop gap tool, and waiting the new mirrorless systems to mature. I am very interested on Nikon Z, but the system is so incomplete, I wouldn't dare to start buying anything yet.

Canon seems to be waking up, maybe it isn't too late, Sony seems to struggle to understand how to make a good video and photo tool, so older Canonikon, if they really decide to pull out their heads out of their arses, can seriously produce excellent parts of their new systems. First full frame mirrorless Canon's were a joke, they will be immediately forgotten with every new release.

Eos M system is very interesting for most amateurs/prosumers, one can buy a nice middling photo camera and 2-3 lenses for a little bit more that 1000€ these days, (a 15-45 kit with one of the older bodies, the 22mm and maybe the 11-22mm/55-250/32mm macro, or whatever that is) = sufficient for anyone that do not want to spend a lot, do not care to upgrade the next 5-6 year and take a few thousand pictures per year. Easily adapt dead cheap EF-S lenses too.

I personally do not like the X system, I get why people like it and I love Fuji since my film days (stock) and I owned some bridge and compact ones, but I bought into NX early and every of their oldee Fuji cameras were seriously lacking for pro work, especially the first ones were totally unusable for pro video.  Mostly Nikon friends were carrying them as carry around cameras or 2nd for photographu.

Their lenses are very expensive for what they are and their older fast primes need some re-engineering for video, or fast AF. What we were getting from NX ergonomics, touch screen interface, technology and menu wise, Fuji started with the X-T3, and still NX was better on so many aspects, X-T4 is a whole new beast of course, but I haven't used it, so I can't really comment. Suggested price is 1900€ here body only, not very cheap.

The 16-80 is getting very bad reviews, the 16-55 is slower, heavier, bigger and more expensive than the Z, still no fish eye which I use a lot - even for dance performances dead in the center and low, can offer some stunning and interesting views like a secondary wide shot, or a wider shot. The ergonomics are getting better, not there for me yet, Z50 seems a lot nicer, but Z6/Z7 needs another generation to mature and become THE TOOLS for our job.

The opinion above to buy an X-T2 and a GH4 is just a joke, as those are ridiculously worst cameras than the NX1, if anyone wants to invest on X, starts X-T3 and m43 starts from a more recent model. No way X-T2 and GH4 are good video tools in 2020! They weren't even two years ago, X-T2 is ok for photos of course, GH4, not even that. GH5 and the similar, are like 3 generations ahead!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The XT2 is not a bad video camera, definitely superior to the A6300 besides the auto focus. Much lower rolling shutter, good 1080p up to 120fps, very nice 4k with moderate rolling shutter(way better than the A6 sony series), nice color profiles, decent low light performance. 

Though I'd definitely get a used XT3 over the XT2, as they are going for like $900 these days, which is super cheap IMO. Waiting on Viltrox to put out there 1.4 primes which I think will make the Fuji an unbeatable option. 23 1.4, 33 1.4, and 56 1.4 at $250 a piece will be an incredible value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The XT2 is not a bad video camera, definitely superior to the A6300 besides the auto focus. Much lower rolling shutter, good 1080p up to 120fps, very nice 4k with moderate rolling shutter(way better than the A6 sony series), nice color profiles, decent low light performance. 

Though I'd definitely get a used XT3 over the XT2, as they are going for like $900 these days, which is super cheap IMO. Waiting on Viltrox to put out there 1.4 primes which I think will make the Fuji an unbeatable option. 23 1.4, 33 1.4, and 56 1.4 at $250 a piece will be an incredible value. 

The cameras in question here are the NX1 vs the X-T2, admittedly the Fuji is better in low light, but in everything else is subpar.

I do not consider the a6300 anything else than a hobbyist camera and I wouldn't dare to compare it with an X-T2 or an NX1.

How good are those Viltrox's?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did try to buy a NX1 yesterday but my offer was turned down 😞
 

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Eos M system is very interesting for most amateurs/prosumers, one can buy a nice middling photo camera and 2-3 lenses for a little bit more that 1000€ these days, (a 15-45 kit with one of the older bodies, the 22mm and maybe the 11-22mm/55-250/32mm macro, or whatever that is) = sufficient for anyone that do not want to spend a lot, do not care to upgrade the next 5-6 year and take a few thousand pictures per year.

And in 5-6 years the EOS M system will be a dead mount. 

Canon is certain to ditch support for it in the near to mid term future, the writing on the wall is obvious 

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The opinion above to buy an X-T2 and a GH4 is just a joke, as those are ridiculously worst cameras than the NX1, if anyone wants to invest on X, starts X-T3 and m43 starts from a more recent model. No way X-T2 and GH4 are good video tools in 2020! They weren't even two years ago, X-T2 is ok for photos of course, GH4, not even that. GH5 and the similar, are like 3 generations ahead!


Agreed, I'd take even the likes of a Panasonic G85 over a GH4

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stathman said:

Which lenses are you referring to?

This is what you where talking about!

https://www.fujirumors.com/viltrox-33mm-f-1-4-pre-sale-started-and-shipping-april-21/

Those lenses would be a great option combined with an X-H1.

I think X-H1 is very underestimated.

It has great ergonomics and overall is a keeper.

Combined with the price you can find one these days, it's a bargain.

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one way to get stabilization with third party lenses.

If I remember correctly, LucAdapters made a version of the NX-L that used the electronic components of the Aputure DEC and therefore allowed you to use EF lenses and power their OIS. Am I crazy, he made that right?

That said, he's not making them anymore as far as I can tell and getting one would be even harder than getting a regular NX-L. This forum would probably be the best spot to find someone selling one though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...