How is this funded? Mega rich YouTubers

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

To me, the idea of Youtube paying for you with ad revenue is a myth. Pewdiepie who has millions of subscribers I would say would just have enough to pay for his rent and bills, because of youtube, and he's not like super rich with his own mansion or private condo.

Hahaha. I must say you are on your way for the top 2020 clueless comment on any internet forum.

That guy has a net worth over $US20 million, and multiple properties you and I could only dream of under his name. In fact, that reported net worth is probably much much less than it’s actual. 
Wake up to the real world buddy. 

As for Potato Jet absolute BS income video, he his doing like 90% of the YouTubers. We have a French Youtuber, very popular with 7M subscribers. One of his video was how much I make? He basically talked BS during 10min, and the only numbers he gave was « as a Youtuber you never know how your month is gonna be made of, sometimes you can make $5000 a month and sometimes $500 ». 
Another French Youtuber, with similar sub made a video a few days basically saying I am sorry but you cant fool people like that, that’s the $ you make PER video and just with ads, not counting brand deal. The first guy in question is a YouTube millionaire. 
I am giving this as an example, but it’s super common for some reason for all influencers to completely under talk, lie on those aspects. My theory is that if you actually talk money and are transparent with the shit loads of money you make, your followers will be a bit disgusted/jealous and less trustful with your ads. 

As I said, I have first hand info from good friends, while they do not have millions of subs, only 100K+, they already make a good living with just that. 
There is no debate to have here. Potato thing makes great money with YouTube and good for him. He fools people about it (including his wife fake comments about paying the house) so we can cry for him and be more susceptible to click his affiliate links and stuff, but that’s what they all do. 
Anyone thinking it’s not the case is unfortunately fooling himself. 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

Hahaha. I must say you are on your way for the top 2020 clueless comment on any internet forum.

That guy has a net worth over $US20 million, and multiple properties you and I could only dream of under his name. In fact, that reported net worth is probably much much less than it’s actual. 
Wake up to the real world buddy. 

As for Potato Jet absolute BS income video, he his doing like 90% of the YouTubers. We have a French Youtuber, very popular with 7M subscribers. One of his video was how much I make? He basically talked BS during 10min, and the only numbers he gave was « as a Youtuber you never know how your month is gonna be made of, sometimes you can make $5000 a month and sometimes $500 ». 
Another French Youtuber, with similar sub made a video a few days basically saying I am sorry but you cant fool people like that, that’s the $ you make PER video and just with ads, not counting brand deal. The first guy in question is a YouTube millionaire. 
I am giving this as an example, but it’s super common for some reason for all influencers to completely under talk, lie on those aspects. My theory is that if you actually talk money and are transparent with the shit loads of money you make, your followers will be a bit disgusted/jealous and less trustful with your ads. 

As I said, I have first hand info from good friends, while they do not have millions of subs, only 100K+, they already make a good living with just that. 
There is no debate to have here. Potato thing makes great money with YouTube and good for him. He fools people about it (including his wife fake comments about paying the house) so we can cry for him and be more susceptible to click his affiliate links and stuff, but that’s what they all do. 
Anyone thinking it’s not the case is unfortunately fooling himself. 

I agree that there are people out there making a ton of money from youtube (and that they probably understate how much they are actually making.) The problem though with youtube is that people 'underestimate' the difficulty of becoming a successful youtuber.

We all live in our own youtube bubbles where our 'feed' essentially consists of videos from youtubers who have already made it in some form or another and we dont see the millions who dont in any way make it. 

Ultimately youtube is a business everyone wants to do and for which the only barrier to entry is the cost of a smartphone. From that perspective it is probably the most competitive business in the world.

12 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Meh...  Kids want to be <insert the occupation of the tallest most impressive person they saw in the last 2 years here> when they grow up.  All the kids that wanted to be astronauts when they grew up became accountants anyway, and once they make a few videos and meet the algorithm then they'll grow up to become accountants as well :) 

8 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I agree that there are people out there making a ton of money from youtube (and that they probably understate how much they are actually making.) The problem though with youtube is that people 'underestimate' the difficulty of becoming a successful youtuber.

We all live in our own youtube bubbles where our 'feed' essentially consists of videos from youtubers who have already made it in some form or another and we dont see the millions who dont in any way make it. 

Ultimately youtube is a business everyone wants to do and for which the only barrier to entry is the cost of a smartphone. From that perspective it is probably the most competitive business in the world.

Same with anyone deemed 'successful'.  I once had a very intelligent relative (who is a high-level manager in a small-medium sized business) tell me I should 'write an app and make a comfortable living off it' and I thought he was making a joke, but he wasn't.  When I showed him the millions of apps on the App Store and told him that writing an app is like starting a business he changed his mind, but he genuinely didn't know.

No-one makes a million TV shows or movies of people losing their savings for every movie or TV show about a dot-com billionaire.  Of course it looks easier than it is.

38 minutes ago, kye said:

Same with anyone deemed 'successful'.  I once had a very intelligent relative (who is a high-level manager in a small-medium sized business) tell me I should 'write an app and make a comfortable living off it' and I thought he was making a joke, but he wasn't.  When I showed him the millions of apps on the App Store and told him that writing an app is like starting a business he changed his mind, but he genuinely didn't know.

Would've been faster to just have said to him "Ok boomer"

• Administrators
On 1/13/2020 at 1:13 PM, kye said:

Meh...  Kids want to be <insert the occupation of the tallest most impressive person they saw in the last 2 years here> when they grow up.  All the kids that wanted to be astronauts when they grew up became accountants anyway, and once they make a few videos and meet the algorithm then they'll grow up to become accountants as well :) 

Seems like the surveys vary depending on who you ask.

One British newspaper is saying they all want to be evil YouTubers (Daily Mail and The Sun)

And another is saying they all still want to be doctors, and teachers, same as 20 years ago (The Times)

Here is another one I found which contradicts itself in the space of one page, which is quite impressive.

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/work-money/the-2017-imagination-report-what-kids-want-to-be-when-they-grow-up/

10popularjobs3-770x548.png

topinfluencers-770x562.png

So they all watch YouTube and end up wanting to be vets?

Damn cat videos everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

One British newspaper is saying they all want to be evil YouTubers (Daily Mail and The Sun)

And another is saying they all still want to be doctors, and teachers, same as 20 years ago (The Times)

Here is another one I found which contradicts itself in the space of one page, which is quite impressive.

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/work-money/the-2017-imagination-report-what-kids-want-to-be-when-they-grow-up/

then the web site goes down and you still get cat images 😉

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I rather suspect the simple answer to this dichotomy is that 'youtuber, actor, singer, programmer' etc were not 'career/job' options in their survey...

Is this the point in the conversation where a futurist mentions a dozen occupations that no one has heard of, everyone laughs and rolls their eyes at how the consultant has made up BS, and then the consultant produces a report showing they're the fastest growing occupations according to some reputable survey company, and then everyone is reminded that "truth is stranger than fiction"...

And just in case anyone thinks I'm just making up things, that happened to me and I was one of the people in the audience looking at the job titles and thinking WTF?!?!?

I guess if life wasn't so strange then there would be less awesome stuff to point our cameras at.. 😆😂🤣

• Super Members
13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

In the case of those two publications they are probably no doubt also claiming that would be British evil YouTubers are being held back by foreign evil YouTubers coming over and taking all their likes.

There will always be fascination / confusion / derision of new things that people don't understand.  

An older work colleague of mine was "having trouble" with her youngest son in his later years of school because as graduation came steadily closer he didn't seem to be motivated to do anything, didn't seem to have a career path worked out, and did ok at school but wasn't getting great marks.  All he wanted to do was to play computer games.

He started university in something he was only mildly interested in and was still just focused on computer games.  My colleague loved him dearly but thought that basically he was going to have a directionless life that he would basically just fritter away.  One day he entered a competition to review a computer game run by a very large gaming site, and out of many thousands of entries he took first place, won several thousand dollars, and was offered the opportunity to write another review.  They liked his review, published it, and he wrote another, and is now a computer game reviewer and gets paid a wage that is pretty good compared to other entry-level jobs straight out of school.

The interesting thing about it is that what set him apart from the rest of the competition is that his review included comparisons to loads of other computer games, making it a really interesting and rich review that would be entertaining to new players and seasoned gamers alike, and there is no way that he would have been able to write like that without having played computer games for hours every day for the better part of a decade.

My colleague was incredibly relieved that he'd found a career, but more importantly had completely changed their opinion of him.  They used to think of "my poor son, he might not amount to much" but now they were hugely proud as "he beat thousands of other applicants and is now getting decent income in a highly competitive field and doing what he loves".

2 hours ago, kye said:

He started university in something he was only mildly interested in and was still just focused on computer games.  My colleague loved him dearly but thought that basically he was going to have a directionless life that he would basically just fritter away.  One day he entered a competition to review a computer game run by a very large gaming site, and out of many thousands of entries he took first place, won several thousand dollars, and was offered the opportunity to write another review.  They liked his review, published it, and he wrote another, and is now a computer game reviewer and gets paid a wage that is pretty good compared to other entry-level jobs straight out of school.

That is great to hear!

But also he kinda "hit the lottery"

Your colleague was right to be concerned, that was an extremely unlikely result for how it turned out for his son. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, IronFilm said:

That is great to hear!

But also he kinda "hit the lottery"

Your colleague was right to be concerned, that was an extremely unlikely result for how it turned out for his son. 

In a way yes, and in a way no.  A close friend of mine from uni was computer game mad, and ended up switching from a Commerce degree to Computer Science in order to work in the gaming industry.  He wrote his own platform game in his spare time (this was the late 90s so he was writing it from scratch - C and assembler) and used that plus his huge amount of hours playing games to get a job.  Last I heard he was a gaming programmer for one of the huge gaming names (can't remember the name, but huge multinational).

The idea that being obsessed with something for a long time leading to a career in that industry isn't a far off fantasy - you can get a career in anything if you're passionate enough and willing to persevere.

Besides - the gaming industry is way larger than you might think, and you don't need to be technical either.