Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gethin

I just told Adobe to shove it

Recommended Posts

Feels so good. Not sure it'll still feel good in 2 weeks time when my subscription runs out.  I have 20 odd years of Adobe workflow to re-do.  (I may end up resubscribing to Photoshop and lightroom but if Snapseed was a desktop app I would think about ditching them too).  So resolve is the no-brainer choice.  Can i get away with the freebie version?  And if not should I buy the bmpcc4k? :) I cant remember if the free version includes their warp stabiliser equivalent. 

Any other software I should look at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I went all in on Resolve at the beginning of the year, just the free version, and haven't looked back. You already know its the best grading software around, and the Cut tab in v16 is really nice, everything is streamlined and very logically laid out. I have free access to Premiere and I have to use it to collaborate with another editor and an ad agency my company works with, I dread using it every single time. Its just so clunky. Until they do a full FCPx style refresh, I'll only use it when I have to. Everything else is 100% Resolve.

I've never used anything other than the $10/mo photo plan since Adobe went subscription, and for the money Lightroom and Photoshop can't be beat - in my opinion. Capture One is the only alternative I've seriously considered, but the cost and not enough time between jobs to spend learning a new workflow makes it a no go for now. If I can get a week to really do a deep dive, I may download the trial version and do a bunch of tutorials to get a feel for it. But I can do most of my adjustments really quick in LR, tagging and keywords are simple, its super LUT friendly, panos and HDR merges are simple, and then fine tune in PS with a few adjustment layers, there's little to be gained by switching. Again my opinion.

Snapseed is great, but limited in comparison, same for mobile versions of LR and PS. LR Mobile is included in the photo plan as well. I use it a lot when I travel - which is frequent - and I like it a lot. I'd like to have the ability to merge panos and HDR images. Though Adobe says a full version of PS is coming soon. I also use Lumafusion as a mobile video editor, and despite its limitations, it's brilliant and only a one time charge of $20.

But I also don't get the hate toward the subscription model, its cheaper than buying new versions every couple years (again the photo plan) and you get regular feature updates and mobile versions. $120/year is made back within a day or two of renewing my subscription. Otherwise there are plenty of alternatives. The anger in the comments of every Dpreview story on Adobe are hilarious, its just consumer goods, but people treat their business model like some kind of personal attack on them.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gethin said:

 

Any other software I should look at?

I am laughing, because a friend of mine and I are sitting over an edit and Premiere is giving us such a hard time with reconnecting, relocating files. I personally enjoy Resolve for its workflow and straightforwardness. Free version does not have most of the openFX like grain nor noise reduction, does not read some codecs such as the 10bit from the GH5. Needs a graphics card with cuda or open cl support from nvidia or amd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I went all in on Resolve at the beginning of the year, just the free version, and haven't looked back. You already know its the best grading software around, and the Cut tab in v16 is really nice, everything is streamlined and very logically laid out. I have free access to Premiere and I have to use it to collaborate with another editor and an ad agency my company works with, I dread using it every single time. Its just so clunky. Until they do a full FCPx style refresh, I'll only use it when I have to. Everything else is 100% Resolve.

I've never used anything other than the $10/mo photo plan since Adobe went subscription, and for the money Lightroom and Photoshop can't be beat - in my opinion. Capture One is the only alternative I've seriously considered, but the cost and not enough time between jobs to spend learning a new workflow makes it a no go for now. If I can get a week to really do a deep dive, I may download the trial version and do a bunch of tutorials to get a feel for it. But I can do most of my adjustments really quick in LR, tagging and keywords are simple, its super LUT friendly, panos and HDR merges are simple, and then fine tune in PS with a few adjustment layers, there's little to be gained by switching. Again my opinion.

Snapseed is great, but limited in comparison, same for mobile versions of LR and PS. LR Mobile is included in the photo plan as well. I use it a lot when I travel - which is frequent - and I like it a lot. I'd like to have the ability to merge panos and HDR images. Though Adobe says a full version of PS is coming soon. I also use Lumafusion as a mobile video editor, and despite its limitations, it's brilliant and only a one time charge of $20.

But I also don't get the hate toward the subscription model, its cheaper than buying new versions every couple years (again the photo plan) and you get regular feature updates and mobile versions. $120/year is made back within a day or two of renewing my subscription. Otherwise there are plenty of alternatives. The anger in the comments of every Dpreview story on Adobe are hilarious, its just consumer goods, but people treat their business model like some kind of personal attack on them.

Chris

Well Chris I have grown to hate Adobe with a passion. It's not because of the subscription model, its because the subscription model has earned them billions, whilst their products have stagnated and their support has gone down the toilet. I was an unofficial adobe evangelist. Photoshop was amazeballs in 1997, but it essentially hasn't changed much. Their algorithms remain untouched. As do the paradigms. But all of that is nothing compared to the towering magnificence of their ability to ignore bugs.  There is one that dates back to lightroom 2. I had a workaround, but now that's broken too. It's broken my workflow. Their tech support is a joke. It's like falling out of love with someone: suddenly you realise the love is gone and all those little things you out up with for years now drive you nuts. In fact you realise you can't stand them and never want to see them again, the treacherous harpies!  

There's probably a meme out there with that guy turning round from his gf and looking at a girl he's just walked past. Well, that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gethin said:

the subscription model has earned them billions, whilst their products have stagnated and their support has gone down the toilet.

So much this.  WTH/F Adobe?  There's no reason with their budget that they couldn't have released a cohesive "PRO" version of their editing software with strict hardware requirements and support so it's an effective reliable tool.  Nope, just an endlessly buggy BS.

My favorite new annoyance is this:  I do a lot of slow-mo, and I like to shoot in 60p.  So, I batch apply 50% speed to my clips for my 30p sequences.  In bins I can scroll the thumbnails, which is helpful.  However, latest version, for no discernible reason, will now "blank" all thumbnails of clips with any speed variance applied.  They get turned to black.  So now I'm looking at a bin full of black thumbnails.  Basically, making thumbnails of clips with speed adjustment useless.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2622768

Yes, it's not the end of the world, but it affects the workflow.  One needs to fight Premiere to work effectively.  That's always been the problem.  It just doesn't play nice. I've been using Premiere on and off since version 1, so I know it's always been a problem child.  

Had a 15 year run there when I was on Final Cut and that was nice.  One of my colleagues is still using FCP.  I might return to it although I don't find it as appealing as the traditional version.  Ugh, I dunno.  Gave Resolve a spin but their version of using proxies was unreliable and everything I do is proxy editing...so still looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, gethin said:

Well Chris I have grown to hate Adobe with a passion. It's not because of the subscription model, its because the subscription model has earned them billions, whilst their products have stagnated and their support has gone down the toilet. I was an unofficial adobe evangelist. Photoshop was amazeballs in 1997, but it essentially hasn't changed much. Their algorithms remain untouched. As do the paradigms. But all of that is nothing compared to the towering magnificence of their ability to ignore bugs.  There is one that dates back to lightroom 2. I had a workaround, but now that's broken too. It's broken my workflow. Their tech support is a joke. It's like falling out of love with someone: suddenly you realise the love is gone and all those little things you out up with for years now drive you nuts. In fact you realise you can't stand them and never want to see them again, the treacherous harpies!  

There's probably a meme out there with that guy turning round from his gf and looking at a girl he's just walked past. Well, that. 

Your situation certainly sucks. I see the same comments about everything tech related and beyond. Mac vs. PC, Canon/Nikon/Sony service, Android/iOS, Ford vs Chevy and so on. The grass isn't greener, usually. Its just the world we live in. If its not working for you, by all means find a better solution. I'm certainly no Adobe apologist, as I happily ditched Premiere. Every piece of software has bugs, lots are not addressed, sadly it never ends. I don't think that will ever change either, there are just too many usage cases to cover everything and there's always a new version in the works so some things simply get ignored. I drive a Toyota, which isn't perfect by any means, but the shortcomings are more livable than what I didn't like about the Tacoma's competitors. Same goes for using a Mac/iPhone/iPad Pro, shooting Sony and using Resolve/LR/PS and so on.

Good luck.

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using the free version of Resolve and have pretty much overcome any learning curve I had, outside of Fusion which I still can't wrap my head around. I plan to upgrade but have been waiting on whether or not I pull the trigger on the Pocket 4K or not (decisions!) 

It feels good to be out of the Adobe system overall. I'm quite pleased with Affinity Photo and their apps. I just need that After Effects replacement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I've been using the free version of Resolve and have pretty much overcome any learning curve I had, outside of Fusion which I still can't wrap my head around. I plan to upgrade but have been waiting on whether or not I pull the trigger on the Pocket 4K or not (decisions!) 

It feels good to be out of the Adobe system overall. I'm quite pleased with Affinity Photo and their apps. I just need that After Effects replacement! 

Fusion is the after effects replacement, it just is a completely different interface. I'm trying to wrap my head around it as well.

Keeping up with software is a job in and of itself. With Blender's recent overhaul I'm committed to learning it to the point of doing 3D animatics for storyboarding and basic visual effects like tracked fire and explosions. We'll see how successful I am with that endeavor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Fusion is the after effects replacement, it just is a completely different interface. I'm trying to wrap my head around it as well.

Keeping up with software is a job in and of itself. With Blender's recent overhaul I'm committed to learning it to the point of doing 3D animatics for storyboarding and basic visual effects like tracked fire and explosions. We'll see how successful I am with that endeavor!

I'm hoping they'll find a way to make Fusion more intuitive for the rest of us, because I really have tried to learn it. I honestly feel dumb for not being able to figure it out. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations 🎉

On 8/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, gethin said:

Feels so good. Not sure it'll still feel good in 2 weeks time when my subscription runs out.  I have 20 odd years of Adobe workflow to re-do.  (I may end up resubscribing to Photoshop and lightroom but if Snapseed was a desktop app I would think about ditching them too).  So resolve is the no-brainer choice.  Can i get away with the freebie version?  And if not should I buy the bmpcc4k? :) I cant remember if the free version includes their warp stabiliser equivalent. 

Any other software I should look at?

The stabilizer is included in the free software

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Resolve and FCPX are 100% learning fully. Even paying for a good course in FCPX is worth it compared to what Adobe Corporation would fleece you for over 5 years.

omg andrew whoo iss sheeee in your new iconnnn

/adobe = im over it!!!!

resolve = god tier. using v. 16 rn and im lovin it™

heres a short i made last year that i did 100% in resolve, the free version, NOT KNOWING WTH I WAS DOING (lol). came out ok~!

>>> for real: im teaching my friend resolve rn, and what im telling him is, "It's easy, but the learning curve is steep, and Resolve may seem pretty odd at first, it did for me~! Nodes are like layers in Photoshop, etc etc..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For video I am too considering a full switch to Resolve, since I read so many positive feedback on it.

For still images I already switched to Capture One and I really like it. Although I still use Photoshop for the Nik collection plugin (I like it for black and white conversion) or more specialized processing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 12:01 AM, fuzzynormal said:

So much this.  WTH/F Adobe?  There's no reason with their budget that they couldn't have released a cohesive "PRO" version of their editing software with strict hardware requirements and support so it's an effective reliable tool.  Nope, just an endlessly buggy BS.

My favorite new annoyance is this:  I do a lot of slow-mo, and I like to shoot in 60p.  So, I batch apply 50% speed to my clips for my 30p sequences.  In bins I can scroll the thumbnails, which is helpful.  However, latest version, for no discernible reason, will now "blank" all thumbnails of clips with any speed variance applied.  They get turned to black.  So now I'm looking at a bin full of black thumbnails.  Basically, making thumbnails of clips with speed adjustment useless.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2622768

Yes, it's not the end of the world, but it affects the workflow.  One needs to fight Premiere to work effectively.  That's always been the problem.  It just doesn't play nice. I've been using Premiere on and off since version 1, so I know it's always been a problem child.  

Had a 15 year run there when I was on Final Cut and that was nice.  One of my colleagues is still using FCP.  I might return to it although I don't find it as appealing as the traditional version.  Ugh, I dunno.  Gave Resolve a spin but their version of using proxies was unreliable and everything I do is proxy editing...so still looking.

I get the black thumbnail thing from time to time.  You can usually fix it by trashing the files in your media cache (or sometimes the media cache files).

Also rather than batch applying speed to your clips, try selecting them all and go modify>interpret footage and specify it there. I think that's a more robust way of doing it. It basically tells premiere to treat that media as if it was shot at that speed (and ensures for instance that it will play every frame if you're slowing your footage to the same fps as your edit timeline). 

 

On 8/19/2019 at 1:55 PM, kaylee said:

omg andrew whoo iss sheeee in your new iconnnn

/adobe = im over it!!!!

resolve = god tier. using v. 16 rn and im lovin it™

heres a short i made last year that i did 100% in resolve, the free version, NOT KNOWING WTH I WAS DOING (lol). came out ok~!

>>> for real: im teaching my friend resolve rn, and what im telling him is, "It's easy, but the learning curve is steep, and Resolve may seem pretty odd at first, it did for me~! Nodes are like layers in Photoshop, etc etc..."

cool! I like it. mysterious :)

On 8/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mako Sports said:

Congratulations 🎉

The stabilizer is included in the free software

thanks! good to know

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gethin said:

I get the black thumbnail thing from time to time.  You can usually fix it by trashing the files in your media cache (or sometimes the media cache files).

Also rather than batch applying speed to your clips, try selecting them all and go modify>interpret footage and specify it there. I think that's a more robust way of doing it. It basically tells premiere to treat that media as if it was shot at that speed (and ensures for instance that it will play every frame if you're slowing your footage to the same fps as your edit timeline). 

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I couldn't restore thumbnail goofiness by media cache manipulation.  Also, the weird thing about the interpret footage option is that it works with source file footage but not proxies.

I always edit in proxies, so...

Anyway, dead horse and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 1:27 AM, fuzzynormal said:

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I couldn't restore thumbnail goofiness by media cache manipulation.  Also, the weird thing about the interpret footage option is that it works with source file footage but not proxies.

I always edit in proxies, so...

Anyway, dead horse and all that.

Ah yes, Because of that I end up creating my own proxies for DJI h.264, otherwise I just edit with the source footage (my 4k nikon stuff edits OK). 

Hey the other thing you can try is resetting the workspace, that sometimes jogs thumbnails back to life.

 

and the thing that pushed me to download resolve was 4 hours spent trying to do the most basic of things in premiere (import h.265 4k, speed it up, export it). 

Premiere and media encoder kept crashing. I downloaded resolve, and having never used it, did all that, stabilised and exported it in the half an hour you'd expect it to take

I posted the wip on my insta page 

And it didn't crash! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...