FINALLY!! A Sony RX100 with a mic jack! (& flip up screen)

IronFilm

Been waiting for this for a long long time, it would be the perfect vlogging camera to have with me. 

Except for the price....  which is well over a thousand bucks:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496248-REG/sony_dscrx100m7_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_vii_digital.html

Ah well never mind, I'll patiently sit and wait here and in another two or three years I'll pick one up for a bargain on eBay ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
59 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Your not gonna get 4K 60 with a pocketable camera that has a 1 inch sensor.

Why not? You get it with a smartphone.

Dude, this is 2019.

This camera is an expensive upgrade at $1200 just to get a fucking 5 cent mic jack component and a different hinge.

Sony is the new Canon.

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

If I do go off to college this will probably be my vlogging camera ?

Your not gonna get 4K 60 with a pocketable camera that has a 1 inch sensor.

4K60 should be easier to do on a 1" sensor, no? I imagine it'd overheat though, given I think the last RX100 could only record in 4K for a couple minutes before overheating. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony is the new Canon.

And I realize this, in a about a month I'm switching to a CX350 for my video body. Panasonic is king of the hill arm for video.

I know when to jump ship, I did the same when I moved from Canon to Sony. 

2 hours ago, ryne275 said:

Still no 4K/60? YIKES. What is taking Sony so long?

Until they update the processor, that video specs will remain the same. They have been using the same ISPs in the SoC since 2014 (Bionz X comes in a number of variants depending on the type of camera it is being used in), and video specs will be determined by that.

My guess is that a9/a7SIII is when we will see a new processor. If not, then expect the video specs of those cameras to remain the same as well.

Hmm, the lens of the VII is the same as in the VI. Would prefer a 24-70 (not more than -105) but starting at 1.8, not 2.8 and going to 4.5 already at 35mm equivalent is a no-go. Maybe they improved on many aspects like the AF and IS but there is probably no in-built ND filter like in the VI. So at the first glance you think, great compact cam for filming but as usual with Sony, it shows only little attention to the details. For instance also the flash: what is that, why not a hot shoe? You offer a mic jack so why not the option to use the shoe as well to keep the package compact? This camera tries to be everything and is nothing at the end....

The biggest complaint is still the lens - I don't need 200mm for filming and the low light capabilities are crippled by the optics. Check also the AF hunting when you zoom in and out..

Ok, I see why they designed it that way (trying to beat smartphones) but I think I'll skip this one (again...).

One other thought - RIP the Nikon DL 18-50 - the greatest compact zoom never made. I was really excited about that one and it would have been an immediate buy, as sometimes when walking around 24mm just isn't wide enough. My walk around lens is usually a UWA zoom like the 16-35 or 10-18 on crop. 

Focus tracking, HLG, 90fps and a mic jack isn't enough to make me want this camera at this price - if it were $750 it might be a different story. I'd get the a6400 with the kit lens before this - or a used XT3 with the 18-55. Hopefully others find this desirable and the used mkV drops in price, don't want the slower 200mm lens for a pocket camera.

Chris

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

One other thought - RIP the Nikon DL 18-50 - the greatest compact zoom never made. I was really excited about that one and it would have been an immediate buy, as sometimes when walking around 24mm just isn't wide enough. My walk around lens is usually a UWA zoom like the 16-35 or 10-18 on crop. 

Focus tracking, HLG, 90fps and a mic jack isn't enough to make me want this camera at this price - if it were $750 it might be a different story. I'd get the a6400 with the kit lens before this - or a used XT3 with the 18-55. Hopefully others find this desirable and the used mkV drops in price, don't want the slower 200mm lens for a pocket camera.

Chris

You buy these cameras because they can fit in your pocket, something that cameras like the XT3 and a6400 are completely incapable of doing. 

There is some irony about people complaining about lack of 60p in 4K while on the other hand also complaining when cameras don't include a 24p mode ;)

Keep in mind that a lot of the older 4K panels out there can't decode 4k60p anyway, they need an external device to decode and input an HDMI signal from that.