David Lynch "may never make another film" due to the profit business.

jgharding

Part of an interesting article on film viewing habits, it relates to a recent piece on money destroying the movies:

"He also hinted that he may never make another film, and Lynch blames the profit obsessed movie industry and the death of avant-garde cinema for his ''depressing'' lack of a future movie career."

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/325148-david-lynch-slams-modern-film-viewing-habits/

He said: ''With alternative cinema - any sort of cinema that isn't mainstream - you're fresh out of luck in terms of getting theatre space and having people come to see it.

''Even if I had a big idea, the world is different now. Unfortunately, my ideas are not what you'd call commercial, and money really drives the boat these days.''

David, who is married to actress Emily Stofle, added: ''So I don't know what my future is. I don't have a clue what I'm going to be able to do in the world of cinema.

''And television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable.''

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

He's been struggling for quite some time. I saw an interview with him a few years ago & he was exasperated that he couldn't raise money for a new film - real shame!

The last thing i caught was that collaboration with Sparklehorse - music & a book of stunning photos!

The real problem with him is that people forgot how big Twin Peaks was & when it came to Mulholland Drive, TV didn't want to know so it became a film instead.

Perhaps he'll turn to crowd funding? 

the new 'Man of Steel' film is designed for / aimed at fans of Transformers and Battleship........nuff said!!

don't forget Zack Snyder made 'Sucker Punch' where they spent all the money on 'girls and guns and explosions'  and forgot to write a script ...

visually it was very entertaining like watching 4 long pop videos .....but no story - sadly Hollywood is like that now .....

Jgharding and Andy, I'm on the same page as you.    So many movies are relying on the blockbuster special effects.  Dialogue?    I went to the new Superman movie last week -  I thought a combo of Avatar, Transformers and non comical Iron Man at times.  I'm not knocking the movie but Andy sums it up,  the new 'Man of Steel' film is designed for / aimed at fans of Transformers and Battleship........nuff said!! ;)     

Spielberg and Lucas gave these dire predictions while speaking on a panel at the USC School of Cinematic Arts last week. According to them, major studios will decline and theatrical films will become a “niche market.” Spielberg said:

Spielberg said:

They’re  going for the gold, but that isn’t going to work forever. And as a result they’re getting narrower and narrower in their focus. People are going to get tired of it. They’re not going to know how to do anything else – There’s eventually going to be a big meltdown –There’s going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen of these mega-budgeted movies go crashing into the ground and that’s going to change the paradigm again.

Another interesting quote form that article mentioned just above:

Lucas predicted that after that meltdown, “You’re going to end up with fewer theaters, bigger theaters with a lot of nice things. Going to the movies will cost 50 bucks or 100 or 150 bucks, like what Broadway costs today, or a football game. It’ll be an expensive thing. … (The movies) will sit in the theaters for a year, like a Broadway show does. That will be called the ‘movie’ business.”

All it will take is a couple of their big blockbusters to epically fail at once & they'll be up shit creek.

Predictions are already running ripe for World War Z being a fail.

I've pretty much stopped going to the cinema because i want to see something worthwhile, but admittedly i keep getting dragged to some big Hollywood showcase & i always feel ripped off - Iron Man 3 anyone?!

The films i want to watch either never make it to a cinema near me or they get shown at small cinemas where the screen is tiny & the quality is often laughable, coupled with uncomfortable seats.

The French have got it right & they produce a lot of films each year (many more than the few that get an international distribution deal), simply because they care about their film industry & everyone (TV stations & other assorted production companies etc...) seems to chip in to get things made.

When i lived there, we had a cinema that was subsidised by the local council to show films that the other cinemas didn't/wouldn't show - it was a real treat to always be able to see what you wanted. Also, most cinemas had 2 showings a day (12&4pm) that would be cheap (£2.50).

They also stick up for themselves & their industry by taking a fair chunk of profit from American films that are released & putting it back into their own films!

In Bristol, there is the old ABC Cinema on Whiteladies Rd that has been empty for more than 10yrs because the people that own the building don't want it to be a cinema anymore! So it just lies empty in a prime spot, instead of being open & at least trying to make some money/show some different films.

Its a real shame & they don't even realise what they're doing!

I just hope that they'll be the masters of their own downfall...  

I'm sure if Lynch wants to make a film, he can still make it much easier than most new filmmakers, and every year you get more than just a few new filmmakers come out with amazing indie features. Yes times they change, but so what? That's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe he doesn't like what Hollywood has become but still wants to work in the way Hollywood used to? That's not gonna happen. If he gets on with the times, I'm sure he'll be fine. He could probably get a new movie funded by kickstarter or netflix pretty easily, at least way easier than any of us.

I am going to start a new arthouse movement for indie films shot on Canon and Panasonic DSLRS.

Like the Dogma Movement in the 1990's in Scandanavia

where it specifies a spec your film is shot to -

I'm calling it the TECNOIR MOVEMENT

small light cheap cameras - can be hacked

50% must be hand help

no expensive digital FX shots - if you do use FX use something cheap like Elements by Video Co Pilot in After FX

and your entire budget must be under 10,000 GB Pounds - $15,000 US Dollars

its all withing indie film makers grasp and we could all be churing out 'Product' for the indie film market

some will be good, some will be average, some will be bad - the cream will come to the top ...

its achievable by most compitant film makers who are on this forum.

And some where along the line new Directors will be born to go onto bigger things......

I've already started my film shot on 3 hacked GH2's there are 4 of us in the team working on it , last week we where shooting car chase shots .

we have shot 6 scenes so far and its looking great ......you have to just get on with it and do it!

Its funny you should mention Dogma 95, as i saw Festen on TV the other night & just thought it was sheer brilliance what you could achieve with a Sony Handycam! It seems we have become obsessed with sharpness/resolution in our digital HD world & completely lost sight of actually making films.

I've been [slowly] piecing together a short film & my instincts always told me that the ideals of Dogma 95 should apply - didn't feel it necessary to follow their rules precisely, since they broke most of them anyway. Basically spend as little as you can, blag as much as possible (if you don't ask, you don't get) & use what you've got. 

However, one thing does concern me & that has to do with why so many [apparent] filmmakers have cats & flowers!

BIOSKOP.INC Im with you on this ....

Dogma 95 had a load of good ideals to the movement and is worth drawing influenses from

the small camera was constantly moving

something a GH2 size camera can also easily achieve

So much can be done economically these days the gear we all use is more than good enough to make movies on 

you can make great 'no waste movies' where Hollywood would spend millions to achieve the same look.

Do the best with what you have got and get making a film - too many people talk the talk but dont walk the walk

so lets start this movement and get making great lo cost films with all the kit we have.

• Administrators

This is all actually a good thing.

It means talent like Lynch will flock to on demand services (Vimeo included) and small cinemas.

The big cinemas need to die a death and be taught a lesson.

People will grow bored of watching shit.

I say good riddance multiplexes and $10 popcorn & coke. Let the uninterested and bored sit at home and watch their pirated DVDs. Real film lovers are about to get the revolution they deserve.

Its funny you should mention Dogma 95, as i saw Festen on TV the other night & just thought it was sheer brilliance what you could achieve with a Sony Handycam! It seems we have become obsessed with sharpness/resolution in our digital HD world & completely lost sight of actually making films.

I've been [slowly] piecing together a short film & my instincts always told me that the ideals of Dogma 95 should apply - didn't feel it necessary to follow their rules precisely, since they broke most of them anyway. Basically spend as little as you can, blag as much as possible (if you don't ask, you don't get) & use what you've got. 

However, one thing does concern me & that has to do with why so many [apparent] filmmakers have cats & flowers!

I agree. One of my favourite films ever, Terrence Malicks "Badlands", recently came out on blu-ray. Even the remastered blu-ray version didn't have lots of resolution, and it's still a goddamn great film. When I watched it again, it made me consider what an amazing tool I have in my hands - if the story & work behind it is just good enough :)

Big Budget movies are now essentially two hour commercials designed to sell toys ( All of Marvel and Disney ) and product placement ( Audi in all of Iron-Man movies ) for big brands, they are no longer a product in itself the way a self-contained cinema experience was designed to be. No, movies won't whither and die, - quite the opposite, we'll see more...ALOT more movies...Marvel for example wants to churn out a superhero movie every 6 months, reboot-rinse-repeat.

It's filmmakers with an independent creative vision who are metaphorically withering and dying in Hollywood, being replaced by marketers and stylists instead. Cinema will continue to exist simply because watching a film with your friends is a social experience in itself, which does not compete with that other cool movie you will watch on your iPhone/Netflix, a new home for modern independent filmmakers. 

I don't really see what the problem there. You want global audiences? They are there, at the click of a button if you are willing to forsake the champagne at the festivals and the elitist "I've been screened in a theatre, bitch" smirk and go into the most competitive global digital marketplace. Look at David Fincher, the guy did it with House of Cards, and the audiences showed up, - I'd readily view his next movie exclusively online. 

And Alejandro Gonzales Innarritu shot his last film on VHS and released it online, because he is an artist who doesn't care about the festival circuit and the big honors of theatrical releases, he creates because he likes to create, and he shares using whatever medium is at hand. 

Spielberg and Lynch are just afraid to adapt to this change, that's all...to them I say, grab a 5D and show us what you can do without a million dollar budget, your talent is now laid bare. David Lynch can have an army of volunteers of actors and crew if he only asked for it on Twitter, his movies can be shot with ANY camera, he could be shooting and releasing several movies a year to online audiences if he wanted to and yet he sees obstacles instead of an opportunity in digital. 

Dinosaurs...